• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Paul a.k.a. Saul of Tarsus

paarsurrey

Veteran Member

Saul was born into a strict Jewish family
Sorry, wasn't Paul a Hellenist and a spy of the Romans and he got admission with the Pharisees as they couldn't deny him as such? Moreover the Judaism people don't acknowledge that, right?:
"Not a Hebrew Scholar; a Hellenist.
Saul (whose Roman cognomen was Paul; see Acts xiii. 9) was born of Jewish parents in the first decade of the common era at Tarsus in Cilicia (Acts ix. 11, xxi. 39, xxii. 3). The claim in Rom. xi. 1 and Phil. iii. 5 that he was of the tribe of Benjamin, suggested by the similarity of his name with that of the first Israelitish king, is, if the passages are genuine, a false one, no tribal lists or pedigrees of this kind having been in existence at that time (see Eusebius, "Hist. Eccl." i. 7, 5; Pes. 62b; M. Sachs, "Beiträge zur Sprach- und Alterthumsforschung," 1852, ii. 157). Nor is there any indication in Paul's writings or arguments that he had received the rabbinical training ascribed to him by Christian writers, ancient and modern; least of all could he have acted or written as he did had he been, as is alleged (Acts xxii. 3), the disciple of Gamaliel I., the mild Hillelite. His quotations from Scripture, which are all taken, directly or from memory, from the Greek version, betray no familiarity with the original Hebrew text. "
Right?

Regards

justaguy313

Premium Member

Sorry, wasn't Paul a Hellenist and a spy of the Romans and he got admission with the Pharisees as they couldn't deny him as such? Moreover the Judaism people don't acknowledge that, right?:
"Not a Hebrew Scholar; a Hellenist.
Saul (whose Roman cognomen was Paul; see Acts xiii. 9) was born of Jewish parents in the first decade of the common era at Tarsus in Cilicia (Acts ix. 11, xxi. 39, xxii. 3). The claim in Rom. xi. 1 and Phil. iii. 5 that he was of the tribe of Benjamin, suggested by the similarity of his name with that of the first Israelitish king, is, if the passages are genuine, a false one, no tribal lists or pedigrees of this kind having been in existence at that time (see Eusebius, "Hist. Eccl." i. 7, 5; Pes. 62b; M. Sachs, "Beiträge zur Sprach- und Alterthumsforschung," 1852, ii. 157). Nor is there any indication in Paul's writings or arguments that he had received the rabbinical training ascribed to him by Christian writers, ancient and modern; least of all could he have acted or written as he did had he been, as is alleged (Acts xxii. 3), the disciple of Gamaliel I., the mild Hillelite. His quotations from Scripture, which are all taken, directly or from memory, from the Greek version, betray no familiarity with the original Hebrew text. "
Right?

Regards

Paul wanted to bring Christianity to the gentiles, mostly Greeks, that's why Jewish encyclopedia says that he was a Hellenist.

Saul of Tarsus was a member of Synagogue of Freedmen. As a Cilician(See Acts 22:3) his ancestors were among freed slaves granted Roman citizenship, which explains his intense zeal for his Jewish heritage. He was a very notable Pharisee even among the people. He was also very well versed in Old Testament and rabbinic traditions.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Because of Paul's teachings and usurpation of the Jesus's position. He completely changed the law that Jesus brought and hijacked christianity.
The Gospel clarified Jesus is God. Explicitly in the first chapter of John.
So it's not Paul who claimed Jesus was God.

justaguy313

Premium Member
Who is God, in your vision? :)

There has always been One God in all religions. Jews call Him El Elyon, Christians Adonay, Egyptians Atum or Ptah, Hindus Atman and Muslims Allah.

The message has always been the same, it's the scholars and religious authorities who corrupted religion.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
There has always been One God in all religions. Jews call Him El Elyon, Christians Adonay, Egyptians Atum or Ptah, Hindus Atman and Muslims Allah.

The message has always been the same, it's the scholars and religious authorities who corrupted religion.

Interesting.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
The Gospel clarified Jesus is God. Explicitly in the first chapter of John.
So it's not Paul who claimed Jesus was God.
With all due respect, the first chapter of John does not say that Jesus is God.
That chapter is subject to different interpretations by different people.
According to my interpretation Jesus is not God incarnate, Jesus is a Manifestation of God who revealed God and showed us what God is like.

If no one has ever seen God, then Jesus cannot be God, since we know from the Bible that many people saw Jesus.

The following translations of john 1:18 have been altered in order to make Jesus into God.

John 1:18
John 1:18 - Bible Gateway

CSB No one has ever seen God. The one and only Son, who is himself God and is at the Father’s side—he has revealed him.

ERV No one has ever seen God. The only Son is the one who has shown us what God is like. He is himself God and is very close to the Father.

CEV No one has ever seen God. The only Son, who is truly God and is closest to the Father, has shown us what God is like.

NET No one has ever seen God. The only one, himself God, who is in closest fellowship with the Father, has made God known.

NIV No one has ever seen God, but the one and only Son, who is himself God and is in closest relationship with the Father, has made him known.

NLT No one has ever seen God. But the unique One, who is himself God, is near to the Father’s heart. He has revealed God to us.

By altering the translations, the verse ends up making no logical sense at all.
Jesus was either the Son of God or He was the Father (God). Jesus cannot be both the Son and the Father. That is logically contradictory.

The following translations of John 1:18 are correct.
In short, no one has ever seen God, but Jesus, who was the Son of God, has declared God and made God known. Jesus has shown is what God is like.

John 1:18
John 1:18 - Bible Gateway

CEB No one has ever seen God. God the only Son, who is at the Father’s side, has made God known.

KJV No man hath seen God at any time, the only begotten Son, which is in the bosom of the Father, he hath declared him.

NASB No one has seen God at any time; the only begotten God who is in the bosom of the Father, He has explained Him.

NCV No one has ever seen God. But God the only Son is very close to the Father, and he has shown us what God is like.

NKJV No one has seen God at any time. The only begotten Son, who is in the bosom of the Father, He has declared Him.

NLV The much-loved Son is beside the Father. No man has ever seen God. But Christ has made God known to us.

RSV No one has ever seen God; the only Son, who is in the bosom of the Father, he has made him known.

WE No one has ever seen God. But his only Son is very near to his Father's heart. He has told us plainly about God.

justaguy313

Premium Member
Christianity as we know it today has followed in the footsteps of Paul rather than Jesus. Religion has become a billion-dollar industry complete with mega churches and celebrity preachers whereas Jesus taught to have nothing and own nothing. Pastors like Joel Osteen, Kenneth Copeland and many others traverse the globe on private jets, live in mansions and hoard hundreds of millions of dollars for themselves. Isn’t this exactly the kind of corruption that Jesus warned against when he commanded his followers to freely give. So why then did Paul teach the opposite. It is impossible to mention extravagant wealth and religion without mentioning the Roman Catholic Church well known for its opulent costumes and décor. The Vatican sits atop billions of dollars in assets. The Pope exemplifies the word of Paul rather than Jesus and what’s more the Pope’s hands are dirty from shaking hands with the tyrants of this world. Jesus taught that the nations of the world are under the rule of the devil, in the Gospel of Matthew, Satan offers Jesus authority to rule the kingdoms of the world but Jesus refuses saying:

Away from me, Satan! For it is written: ‘Worship the Lord your God, and serve him only.’
~ Matthew 4:10 ~

Jesus was a revolutionary who taught that submission should only be given unto God. So why did Paul preach submission unto tyranny? He wrote in his epistle to the Romans:

“ Let everyone be subject to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God. Consequently, whoever rebels against the authority is rebelling against what God has instituted…”
~ Romans 13:1-2 ~

And this is the very verse that the United States uses their government-funded preachers to go out into neighborhoods and times of Martial Law to get them to submit to the tyrannical measures of the US government but wait a minute did Moses ever bow to Pharaoh? Did Abraham ever submit to Nimrod? Did Jesus pledge allegiance to Caesar? Or was it Paul who led his followers down a dangerous road teaching them to love the very same tyrants who put Jesus to death.

Paul sympathy towards the tyrants makes more sense perhaps given that the Ahlul Bayt listed him in the same category as some of the worst tyrants of all time. Imam Musa Al-Kazim said in a long narration about Hellfire:

Imam Musa Al-Kazim (PBUH) said:
“…And in the abdomen of that viper there are boxes in which five of the previous nations and two of this nation reside…As for the five, they are Cain who killed Abel, and Nimrod who argued with Abraham about his Lord, and said “I give life and cause death.” And Pharaoh who said, “I am your most exalted Lord,” and Yahoud who brought forth a new Judaism for the Jews, and Paul who Christianized the Christians anew…”
~ Bihar Al-Anwar, Vol.8, P.310-311

And isn’t it clear that Paul’s doctrine was a brand new version of Christianity. He altered the very core of the religion with his innovative concept of atonement. It was prophesied in the Torah that the blood of Jesus the Messiah would be poured out as a ransom for many.

Isaiah said:

All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned-every one- to his own way; and the Lord hath laid on him the iniquity of us all.
~Isaiah 53:6 ~

If you take a look at Paul’s overarching message, he made salvation effortless. He abolished the covenant, the agreement between God and mankind and basically told people to follow their own desires as long as they believe in Jesus. Isn’t this exactly what Jesus warned about when he said:

Enter through the narrow gate, for wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.
~ Matthew 7:13-14 ~

So here we have two distinct camps, Jesus Christ and someone who comes along after Jesus pretending to speak on his behalf while leading people astray, the opposite of Christ, what can only be described as history’s very first Antichrist and he is responsible for repeating a pattern which has plagued God’s religion throughout time. Oftentimes after a prophet is gone someone comes along and corrupts their message to the core. Imam Al-Sadiq the sixth Imam from the family of Muhammad said:

Imam Al-Sadiq (PBUH) said:

“ God did not send a prophet except that there be in his nation two devils who harm him and mislead the people after him… As for the two companions of Jesus, they are Paul and Meriton…”
~ Tafsir Alqummi, Vol.1, P.214 ~

... Apostle Paul tells three different versions of his operation on the road to Damacus recorded in the book of Acts. In Acts chapter 9 verse 7 we find one account where Paul claims that his travel companions did not see Jesus but heard his voice. And in Acts chapter 22 verse 9 we find another version of the story they:

“Saw the light, but they did not understand the voice of him who was speaking to me”
~ Acts 22:9
If we are accurate, Paul doesn't have 3 different contradictory versions of the event. Those scriptures are not in contradiction. That the people didn't see Jesus, is not the same that they didn't see the light. It is possible, and by the context probably, that they saw the light, why else would they react to something. And hearing the voice is true in both of them, even if only the other says they didn't understand it.
In one version Paul is blinded for three days in another he makes no mention of such a thing.
It is common that people don't repeat things exactly the same way every time. Not mentioning something, doesn't mean it didn't happen as told in other case.
This is the single proof he used to convince people to take him seriously as a messenger from God having never met Jesus in the flesh, this is all he has to go on and it just so happens that it cannot be verified by anybody. There is no mention of Paul in the Gospels by Jesus or anyone else for that matter nobody gives Paul the title of apostle other than Paul himself.
But he is recognized for example here:

And think of the long-suffering of our Lord as salvation, as also our beloved brother Paul wrote to you, according to the wisdom given to him; as also in all his epistles, speaking in them concerning these things, in which are some things hard to understand, which the unlearned and unsettled pervert, as also they do the rest of the Scriptures, to their own destruction.
2 Pet. 3:15
So we have to ask these questions was Paul a man who saw the error in his ways and turned his life around or did he carry out his original agenda utilizing a different strategy destroying the Christian faith from within. In any case one thing is certain, Paul’s claimed to Apostleship directly contradicts what Jesus taught. Throughout his ministry, Jesus had many disciples, at one he amassed followers in the thousands but there was always an inner circle of 12 men handpicked by Jesus. That number twelve was no accident there was a specific purpose behind it. Talking about his second coming Jesus said:
By what I know, the word apostle can be used for anyone testifying for Jesus. That doesn't mean that the 12 are the special ones, selected for the special purpose.
“ Christ redeemed us from the curse of the law by becoming a curse for us, for it is written “Cursed is everyone who is hung on a pole””
~ Galatians 3:13

Basically, Paul argued that when Jesus died so too did the law. The old covenant between God and man was overturned in favor of a new one. One by which all sins are forgiven of the one who simply says I believe. There is just one major problem with Paul’s logic though. According to the Gospel of Matthew, Jesus appeared to the twelve after the crucifixion saying this:
I don't think Paul says the law is dead. If you know he says so, please show the scripture.

But, the Biblical truth is that people broke the old covenant. And that is why God set the new one. And Jesus gave for his disciples the right to forgive sins. So, disciples of Jesus can forgive sins. They could do that even without demanding believing. However, forgiveness is not useful, if person doesn't become righteous, because eternal life is promised only for righteous.

If you forgive anyone’s sins, they have been forgiven them. If you retain anyone’s sins, they have been retained.”
John 20:23

These will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.
Matt. 25:46
For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
Romans 6:23

justaguy313

Premium Member
I don't think Paul says the law is dead. If you know he says so, please show the scripture.

Paul’s claimed to Apostleship directly contradicts what Jesus taught.

For when I tried to keep the law, it condemned me. So I died to the law—I stopped trying to meet all its requirements—so that I might live for God.
-
Galatians 2:19
But he is recognized for example here:

And think of the long-suffering of our Lord as salvation, as also our beloved brother Paul wrote to you, according to the wisdom given to him; as also in all his epistles, speaking in them concerning these things, in which are some things hard to understand, which the unlearned and unsettled pervert, as also they do the rest of the Scriptures, to their own destruction.
2 Pet. 3:15

Who wrote Peter's gospel can be debated. I believe Paul had a hidden hand in all gospels included in the New Testament

If we are accurate, Paul doesn't have 3 different contradictory versions of the event. Those scriptures are not in contradiction. That the people didn't see Jesus, is not the same that they didn't see the light. It is possible, and by the context probably, that they saw the light, why else would they react to something. And hearing the voice is true in both of them, even if only the other says they didn't understand it.

It is common that people don't repeat things exactly the same way every time. Not mentioning something, doesn't mean it didn't happen as told in other case.

Aren't we talking about supposed apostle of Jesus?

By what I know, the word apostle can be used for anyone testifying for Jesus. That doesn't mean that the 12 are the special ones, selected for the special purpose.

Nope. Apostles are only those who do miracles. It's proposterous that you even claim something like that

But, the Biblical truth is that people broke the old covenant. And that is why God set the new one. And Jesus gave for his disciples the right to forgive sins. So, disciples of Jesus can forgive sins. They could do that even without demanding believing. However, forgiveness is not useful, if person doesn't become righteous, because eternal life is promised only for righteous.

The Israelites never had another prophet sent to them since the time of Jesus till now. They waited for 2000 years and nobody has been sent to them and if they wait for the rest of Eternity nobody will ever be sent to them because of what they did to Jesus the Messiah
-Aba Sadiq from him is peace

justaguy313

Premium Member

I pointed out my argument here:

Jesus had many disciples, at one he amassed followers in the thousands but there was always an inner circle of 12 men handpicked by Jesus. That number twelve was no accident there was a specific purpose behind it. Talking about his second coming Jesus said:

“Truly I tell you, at the renewal of all things, when the son of man sits on his glorious throne, you who have followed me will also sit on twelve thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel.”
~ Matthew 19:28

These words demonstrate just how important the sacred number twelve is. How could 11 or 13 apostles judge twelve tribes? The disciples themselves understood the significance of this number. After Jesus left them, the remaining 11 apostles set out to replace the fallen one from among them Judas Iscariot who betrayed Jesus. Praying for divine guidance the men drew lots and in the end they reported that God chose Matthias to be the 12th disciple. There was one important criteria for the selection. Therefore it is necessary to choose

“… one of the man who have been with us the whole time the Lord Jesus was living among us, beginning from John’s baptism to the time when Jesus was taken up from us.”
~ Acts 1:21-22

So imagine the confusion of the 12 disciples when years later Paul came along and inserted himself into the equation as the thirteen disciple. Paul a man who never met Jesus certainly didn’t qualify to be one of them but that didn’t stop Paul from making some dramatic changes to the religion of Jesus and the early Christians did not consider Paul to be an authority in the same right as the 12. One of the most notable new concepts which Paul brought to Christianity was the abolishment of the Old Testament law. Claiming to speak on behalf of Christ, Paul said:

“ For sin shall no longer be your Master, because you are not under the law, but under grace.”
~ Roman 6:14

He claimed that:

“ Christ redeemed us from the curse of the law by becoming a curse for us, for it is written “Cursed is everyone who is hung on a pole””
~ Galatians 3:13

Basically, Paul argued that when Jesus died so too did the law. The old covenant between God and man was overturned in favor of a new one. One by which all sins are forgiven of the one who simply says I believe. There is just one major problem with Paul’s logic though. According to the Gospel of Matthew, Jesus appeared to the twelve after the crucifixion saying this:

“ Therefore go and make disciples of all nations… and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you.”
~ Matthew 28:19-20

And Jesus clearly commanded them to keep the commandments:

“ Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets. I am not come to destroy but to fulfill them…”
~ Matthew 5:17

Jesus was a reformer. His mission was to bring things back to the old ways of theology. He came to guide people back to the religion of God. Jesus the long-awaited Jewish Messiah affirmed the message of the Hebrew prophets before him. He adhered to the Jewish law and never once indicated that the law of the Old Testament prophets would or should be abolished. In fact he said:

“ It is easier for heaven and earth to disappear than for the least stroke of a pen to drop out of the law.”
~ Luke 16:17

So why did Paul come out and teach the opposite just as Jesus said:

“…If you want to enter life, keep the commandments.”
~ Matthew 19:17

I didn't see your response to this

Paul’s claimed to Apostleship directly contradicts what Jesus taught.

For when I tried to keep the law, it condemned me. So I died to the law—I stopped trying to meet all its requirements—so that I might live for God.
-
Galatians 2:19
That is interesting translation. For example World English Bible has it like this:

For I, through the law, died to the law, that I might live to God.
Gal. 2:19

I think the point is not that the law is not valid, only that the law brought death to him. And he lives now through Jesus, which I think means he will live by God's will.
Nope. Apostles are only those who do miracles. It's proposterous that you even claim something like that
And by what the Bible tells, all disciples of Jesus ("Christians") have the potential for that.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Not that Paul wrote this, if scholars are right...
Correct, it is generally agreed (with little disagreement) that 1&2 Timothy and Titus were not written by Paul, and in fact were probably written at least 10 years after his death.
How do they know?
Textual criticism, context, content. Most people have a "style" of writing that, if you have enough of it, lets you differentiate what they actually wrote from other stuff written and been attributed to them. This includes typical word choices and phrasing. Context and content allow scholars to see where there are differences of place and, more importantly, actual beliefs.

So, biblical critics read the text looking for clues in:
  • Internal evidence (does the text actually say, "I Paul, write this")
  • External evidence (are there contemporary references to the text that say "Paul wrote this")
  • Historical setting (does the author appear to know much about the time/place he was writing?)
  • Language and style (every author shows evidence of their own vocabulary and quirks of language use)
  • Contents and theology (do 1&2 Timothy, Titus or Hebrews reflect the same theology and understanding of the law as letters like Romans and 1&2 Corinthians?)

Correct, it is generally agreed (with little disagreement) that 1&2 Timothy and Titus were not written by Paul, and in fact were probably written at least 10 years after his death.

Textual criticism, context, content. Most people have a "style" of writing that, if you have enough of it, lets you differentiate what they actually wrote from other stuff written and been attributed to them. This includes typical word choices and phrasing. Context and content allow scholars to see where there are differences of place and, more importantly, actual beliefs.

So, biblical critics read the text looking for clues in:
  • Internal evidence (does the text actually say, "I Paul, write this")
  • External evidence (are there contemporary references to the text that say "Paul wrote this")
  • Historical setting (does the author appear to know much about the time/place he was writing?)
  • Language and style (every author shows evidence of their own vocabulary and quirks of language use)
  • Contents and theology (do 1&2 Timothy, Titus or Hebrews reflect the same theology and understanding of the law as letters like Romans and 1&2 Corinthians?)
Ok, so in other words they don't know, they guess on basis of certain assumptions that can be wrong. Not good enough for me. If someone would compare my new writings to old ones, he could claim as well that they are from some other person.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Ok, so in other words they don't know, they guess on basis of certain assumptions that can be wrong. Not good enough for me. If someone would compare my new writings to old ones, he could claim as well that they are from some other person.
Well, then, we'll just have to name you the greatest scholar in history. And how many ancient languages are you fluent in?