• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Patriarchy? What patriarchy?

Aqualung

Tasty
I'm reading a book called The Gender Knot: Unraveling Our Patriarchal Legacy by Allan G Johnson for an ethics class I'm taking. It's currently talking about "the most efficient way to keep patriarchy going" with is "to promote the idea that it doesn't exist in the first place". It talks about how "male" is the default setting, and therefore rarely noticed. It says, "The same kind of invisibility occurs around race: We hardly ever call attention to the race of whites in the news, for example, because in a white-identified society, whiteness is the standard - the assumed race. ... a practice which underscores the normative and therefore taken-for-granted standing of men and whites."

I'm particularly interested in discussing the following two paragraphs:

In general, women are made invisible when they do something that might elevate their status, such as raising children into healthy adults of coming up with a brilliant idea in a business meeting. Men, however, are often made invisible when their behavior is socially undesirable and might raise questions about the appropriateness of male privilege. Although the vast majority of violent acts are perpetrated by men, for example, news accounts rarely call attention to the gender of those who rape, kill, beat, torture, and make war on others. Instead, we read about mobs, crowds, people, students, gangs, citizens, youths, fans, workers, militants, party members, teenagers, insurgents, soldiers, and so on - ungendered categories that presumably can include both women and men. If a crowd of women gather to make a news-worthy event, however, one can be sure they will be identified as women, not merely as a crowd. But such attention is rarely paid to maleness per se. And on those rare occasions when someone mentions statistics on male violence and suggests that this might be a problem worth looking at, the response is yawning impatience ("Oh, thisagain?") or, more likely, a torrent of objections to the male-bashing straw man defense: "You're accusing all men of being murders and rapists!" [In fact, this happened to me the other day on the forums - Aqualung]

When the media do identify male gender, they rarely make much of it. With numbing regularity, we hear reports of violent crimes perpetrated by men, from wife beating, stalking, rape and murder to the gunning down of workers and bystanders by disgruntled employees to the September 11 disasters to mass murder as an instrument of national policy. Yet rarely do we hear the simple statement that the perpetrators of such acts are almost always men. Nor do we take seriously the idea that men's pervasive involvement in such violence provides a clue to understanding it and why it happens. No one suggests, for example, that an ethic of masculine control might be connected to the use of violence or that there is good reason to limit the male population's opportunities to harm others. Note, however, the radically different response when subordinate groups are the focus The fact that most early AIDS victims were gay men, for example, brought demands to quarantine and repress the entire gay population, even though most gay men didn't have AIDS. [Or, in response to 9/11, the rise of racial profiling around arabs and muslims - Aqualung] Teenage pregnancy - a state that describes women and not men - is a hot topic in the United States, but not male insemination of teenage girls. And if people of color did violence to whites at the rate that the male population produces violence against women, there would be national mobilization to do something to contain this "dangerous population."

Do you agree with his assessment of the media, especially in reference to hiding or downplaying problems created by patriarchy?

Pariah

Let go
I think it might be a sad but obvious truth.
Being of a minority race, the race issue is obvious, and I have always been aware of the idea of "news worthy" gender distinction among ungendered social categories. I have no unique response, per se, but I might ask a question.

Due to the great amount of news devoted to wrong doings (mostly perpetrated by males) and the sheer number of white males, is it any surprise that viewers will automatically adhere to certain stereotypes?

EDIT:
I thought it was a great article. I find simple insight to be great reads - those ideas known, but rarely put to language.

Aqualung

Tasty
Due to the great amount of news devoted to wrong doings (mostly perpetrated by males) and the sheer number of white males, is it any surprise that viewers will automatically adhere to certain stereotypes?
That's a good question, but what does it say when "white male" is automatically the default setting even when there is nothing that would indicate it?

Pariah

Let go
To me, personally, it only repeats what I said above.
That is, I don't see any cultural roots or political agenda.

It may also say that the journalists view the world through themselves.

I am trying to avoid reaching for cultural statements and generalizations about the ineptitude or arrogance of a group of people.

rojse

RF Addict
That's a good question, but what does it say when "white male" is automatically the default setting even when there is nothing that would indicate it?

I think it is the default setting because white males were the ones that were able to make the decisions, issue orders, and ran the household. It's a sad indictment on our society that this is the case.

Perhaps it is just one more indication of how far we have to go until women and other races are of equal status, not just legally, but also through public perception.

blackout

Violet.
VERY interesting post.
Somehow I missed it before.

The article itself was notably insightful.

The media portrayal of just about everything,
is so subtly skewed,
even in the silences between the "lines",
that I truly believe they "make" the news
(form the "new" ideas in the public mind)
every bit as much as they "report" it.

Much of it is subconsciously "patterned"
by honest mainline journalists
who don't even realize what they're contributing to,

Some of it however, is purpously and "imperceptably"slanted
as part of higher agendas. This is what I see.
The average "joe" never picks up on any of it.
Neither do the average journalists.

Oh yes....
and what demographic owns and runs the media,
which portrays the subtle white male "default"?

right.....