• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Part-time Hijabis

Djamila

Bosnjakinja
PART-TIME HIJABIS

Many Muslim women, myself included, are part-time hijabis. In fact, in Bosnia and Herzegovina and throughout the Balkans, most Muslim women are part-time hijabis.

I can say this with absolute certainty because - whether we're speaking about Bosnia and Herzegovina, or the Sandzak of Novi Pazar, or Albania, or Turkey - most Muslim do not wear the hijab in their daily lives - but a vast majority do while at Mosque. Thus, the hijab is something Muslim women in these countries wear part-time.

The question then becomes why?

To answer that question, we first need to understand what the hijab means and represents for Bosnians and other Balkan Muslims.

The hijab is not a part of traditional, Islamic practice in much of the Balkans. Even during the Osmanli Empire, our veils were simple and did not completely cover the hair, nor any the face. Balkan Muslims, like all Balkan people, tend to be very nationalistic - "our way" is the "right way", and the hijab simply isn't "our way".

You also have, among Balkan Muslims, many of the same misconceptions and prejudices about the Middle East as exist among European Christians. The hijab, for Balkan Muslims, is sometimes considered a primitive, Arabian concept with no place in a modern, Islamic society. This sentiment, held by a portion of society, affects society as a whole. It is not at all uncommon to hear Bosnian Muslim men lament the hijab and refuse to consider marrying a woman who always wears one. This atmosphere in society not only allows some women who do not wish to wear the hijab to discard it, it even forces some women who may wish to wear one to decide against it.

There is also the cultural role of women in society. Our oldest poems and hymns contain phrases like, "We raise a toast to our girls, such beauty, charm and grace! There surely is no treasure as beautiful as a woman of our race!". Historically, and still today through culture, Balkan Muslims of both genders are very proud of what they consider to be the exceptional beauty of their woman. Think what you will about this, but it's a common thread in Christian cultures in the Balkans as well. Ask anyone - an Slovene, a Bosnian, a Greek, a Turk - and you will always get the answer, "our girls are the best". Beautiful women are, culturally speaking, something equivalent to the flag or another national symbol. It's not something people are willing to mask.

Then there is the Hanafi tradition that deems the hijab is not required by Islam. Most Balkan Muslims come from a Hanafi or Sufi heritage, and in this corner of the world that meant fat more emphasis on the substance of Islam rather than the ritual professed by what are sometimes considered to be more primitive, simple-minded Muslims. It makes me skin crawl a little to say that, but it's accurate in many cases.

So, the question now becomes why a hijab it at all?

The hijab is considered by many devout Muslim women to be a sign of respect, that is why there are certain situations where you can expect to see most women wearing a hijab. Devout Muslim women are usually the only ones who go to Mosque, and they do believe it is important to show respect in a House of Worship, thus most Muslim women at mosques wear a hijab. At events like weddings and funerals, devout Muslim women will also wear a hijab - but the percentage of women dressed in such a way is a minority because the crowd always includes a less devout majority.

The hijab also has an element of rebellion. Young women will wear a hijab in the same way they'll become promiscuous, as a means of rebellion against their parents, perhaps even society as a whole. You'll often see wives wear hijab to punish their husbands - many times I've worn hijab for a week or more because my husband and I were fighting. That one is more difficult for me to explain, it's more subconscious.

The hijab is, by some, considered elegant and beautiful. It is worn as a fashion accessory.

So, that's the story of the millions and millions of part-time hijabis in the Balkans. :)

subhanallah the prophet (saw) said "the religion of Islam came as a wierd thing and it will return as a wierd thing", Wallahi the prophet(saw) was right!

Bishka

Veteran Member
That's really interesting Mila! I've always wondered about why some women wore it part time and other times they didn't.

Djamila

Bosnjakinja
mohamedhassan said:
subhanallah the prophet (saw) said "the religion of Islam came as a wierd thing and it will return as a wierd thing", Wallahi the prophet(saw) was right!

Hehehe, I'm almost afraid to laugh. :D

beckysoup61 said:
That's really interesting Mila! I've always wondered about why some women wore it part time and other times they didn't.

Well, I'm sure it's different for every woman - but these are the answers I've managed to discover, hahaha. :)

ayani

that's cool. kind of like a Catholic woman wearing a mantilla in church or at a funeral or such a thing, perhaps.

thank you, Mila. :)

CelticRavenwolf

She Who is Lost
I think that every person in North America should be forced to read this.

In University I took a course on the religion of Islam. It was eyeopening, to say the least. I mean, I didn't buy into a lot of the racist and ignorant beliefs that permeate our present culture, but I was by no means informed.

After that course, my understanding of the hijab had certainly changed, though. As I understand it, it was as you say, a symbol of respect. I understand that Islam preaches modesty for both men and women, and that the hijab is more like a female symbol of that modesty.

And I think that many americans confuse the hijab with the jilbab (is that right?) the full length, big gown that often involves fully covering the face.

EiNsTeiN

Boo-h!
Mila...you always bring up hard topics to discuss...
I don't even know how to discuss you in this...
In my knowledge, Hijab is a direct order from God...

And when I mean Hijab, I mean covering your hair, and wearing non-tight clothes that don't show exactly the geometry of your body (geometry?..mm, what am I saying??)
And you don't have to cover your hands nor your face...

This is my knowledge, and it's not me or you that can decide the truth about it....God tells us to ask the people of knowledge if we don't know, and that I recommend you...

Djamila said:
The hijab is, by some, considered elegant and beautiful. It is worn as a fashion accessory.
They do that in my country too...

Djamila

Bosnjakinja
EiNsTeiN said:
Mila...you always bring up hard topics to discuss...

Just trying to make all you lovely, Egyptian men squirm. ;)

EiNsTeiN said:
I don't even know how to discuss you in this... In my knowledge, Hijab is a direct order from God...

I've confronted two Imams about this over the years and in both cases they eventually said it's not specifically required, but it would be very difficult to achieve the level of modesty required of Muslim women without it.

But what can you do? Everybody has an opinion, and everybody has verses to back it up. You just have to trust in God to keep you on the straight path.

EiNsTeiN said:
And when I mean Hijab, I mean covering your hair, and wearing non-tight clothes that don't show exactly the geometry of your body (geometry?..mm, what am I saying??)
And you don't have to cover your hands nor your face...

I understand. I don't believe we need to cover our hair, I haven't been able to find a Koranic verse that specifies that, but I believe in the rest of what you've said. It's a struggle, though, to remember how to dress and how to walk. It's just not natural, I think, for a woman my age to be that way.

EiNsTeiN said:
They do that in my country too...

Hehehe, good to know!

Peace

Quran & Sunnah
Djamila said:
I've confronted two Imams about this over the years and in both cases they eventually said it's not specifically required, but it would be very difficult to achieve the level of modesty required of Muslim women without it.

So I am sorry to say that two Imams that you asked don't have deep knowledge of Islam. You can go and ask true scholars (`ulama') who studied the Islamic jurisprudence.

Djamila said:
But what can you do? Everybody has an opinion, and everybody has verses to back it up. You just have to trust in God to keep you on the straight path.
When we come to religion, and to matters that are agreed upon among great scholars, we have to leave the phrase "this my opinion" aside, for we are not scholars.

Djamila said:
I understand. I don't believe we need to cover our hair, I haven't been able to find a Koranic verse that specifies that, but I believe in the rest of what you've said. It's a struggle, though, to remember how to dress and how to walk. It's just not natural, I think, for a woman my age to be that way.

Chapter # 24 verse # 31 is a very clear order to women to cover their whole bodies including the hair and excluding the face and the hands. Whoever understands the Arabic language can understand the verse as thus. It is a very clear order from God that has no doubt.

“And say to the believing women that they should lower their gaze and guard their modesty; that they should not display their beauty and ornaments except what must ordinarily appear therof; that they should draw their veils over their bosoms and not display their beauty except to their husbands, their fathers, their husbands’ fathers, their sons, their husbands’ sons, their brothers, or their brothers’ sons or their sisters’ sons, or their women or the servants whom their right hands possess, or male servants free of physical needs, or small children who have no sense of the shame of sex, and that they should not strike their feet in order to draw attention to their hidden ornaments. And O you Believers, turn you all together towards Allah, that you may attain Bliss.” (Quran 24:31).[SIZE=-1][/SIZE]

Peace

Sahar

gracie said:
that's cool. kind of like a Catholic woman wearing a mantilla in church
Regarding wearing hijab at mosques, that's b/c women cannot perform prayer (salah) without hijab; even if i was praying in my house, i must wear my hijab during salah;
covering my whole body except face and hands, face and hands should not be covered during salah so if i were wearing niqab and gloves, i should take them off while performing prayer.