• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'Paramhamsa' Nithyananda

DeviChaaya

Jai Ambe Gauri
Premium Member

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Nithiyananda was erroneously appointed the successor of a valid ascetic order of Hinduism, Maha Nirvani Akhara, by his guru (these religious orders do not have elections. The guru appoints the successor). He is a debouch and a charlatan. But many people still worship him. Yes, we are diverse.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I don't see the point in bashing anything that isn't yours. How is it any of my business what another Guru and his followers are up to? What impact does it have on me? Yes, I can choose to not attend a temple, or go see him, or not send any money. What is the source of all this bashing? To point out differences is one thing, but to turn it into hate is another.

Isn't it more polite, more dharmic, just to be agnostic, and leave it at that?

DeviChaaya

Jai Ambe Gauri
Premium Member
I don't see the point in bashing anything that isn't yours. How is it any of my business what another Guru and his followers are up to? What impact does it have on me? Yes, I can choose to not attend a temple, or go see him, or not send any money. What is the source of all this bashing? To point out differences is one thing, but to turn it into hate is another.

@Vinayaka ji please do not take this as bashing Nithyananda; I do not mean to do that. I cannot say this way or that if he was what he is said to be as I have never met him and probably never will. I am just a bit funny over the while thing where his devotees claim he is the 'leader' of Hinduism. What Hinduism? Village Hinduism? Saiva? Vaishnava? Shakta? Smart? Which one? Probably none!

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
I know if I should dare mention any of my revered Hindu teachers by name in this DIR, I'll spend another five posts defending them from a claim of fraud/charlatanism.

But differences of opinion should be part of the DIR too, so?????

(Maybe I should mention Satya Sai Baba by name because I am anxious to hit my 10,000th post; 28 away)

Last edited:

DeviChaaya

Jai Ambe Gauri
Premium Member
I know if I should dare mention any of my revered Hindu teachers by name in this DIR, I'll spend another five posts defending them from a claim of fraud/charlatanism.

But differences of opinion should be part of the DIR too, so?????

I will remain sceptical about gurus until I meet them. If other people have experiences with them that's wonderful but one person's guru isn't another person's guru.

I'd love to hear about your favourites @George-ananda .

George-ananda

Premium Member
but one person's guru isn't another person's guru.
I agree, but that is no reason to be critical of another's guru (unless perhaps you have certain information that they are frauds. And 'certain' information means evaluated and not just cherry-picked negative things from enemies).
I'd love to hear about your favourites @George-ananda .
Lets start with Satya Sai Baba number 1 and Prahmahansa Yogananda number 2. I have never met a guru in real life so notice I chose the word 'teachers' and not 'guru'.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I don't see the point in bashing anything that isn't yours.
Vinayaka, I belong to Hinduism and as you know, I do not subscribe to any particular sampradaya. But if something 'a-dharmic' happens in Hinduism then I would be concerned about it. That is why I am bashing Nithiyananda, he is 'a-dharmic' and a blot on one of the great ascetic traditions of India. How can I be unconcerned about that? Have you seen the videos?
(Maybe I should mention Satya Sai Baba by name because I am anxious to hit my 10,000th post; 28 away)
Oh, the one who used to sleep on currency notes, gold and silver (I am not making it up, it is on government records). No, he did not take it with him. Not disregarding the good works done by his organizations. Sure, he brought peace to many Hindus. Does the ash still oozes out of his photographs or it has stopped? I do not believe in magic and do not like personality cults.

"On 17 June 2011, officials from the Sri Sathya Sai Central Trust (founded as a charitable Trust in India, and legally separate from religious activities), opened his private residence in the presence of government, bank and tax department officials, including retired Supreme Court Judge A P Mishra and retired judge of Karnataka High Court Vaidyanatha, an assessor approved by the Income Tax Department, and former Chief Justice of India P N Bhagavati. In the private residence, which had been sealed since his death, they inventoried 98 kg of gold ornaments, approximate value Rs 210 million (US$4.7m), 307 kg of silver ornaments, approximate value Rs 16 million (US$0.36m), and Rs 116 million (US$2.6m) in cash."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sathya_Sai_Baba#Opening_of_residence

Last edited:

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
@Vinayaka ji please do not take this as bashing Nithyananda; I do not mean to do that. I cannot say this way or that if he was what he is said to be as I have never met him and probably never will. I am just a bit funny over the while thing where his devotees claim he is the 'leader' of Hinduism. What Hinduism? Village Hinduism? Saiva? Vaishnava? Shakta? Smart? Which one? Probably none!
I didn't think you were. Yes that is odd, but I really don't think many people will be listening. Today is the first I've even heard of this. lol.

Last edited:

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
When it's not affecting you directly or personally, like someone interfering with your peace because they are preaching that the Saviour (their saviour) will be around to show all of humanity the 'true' path, or you have to choose to attend a conference, or whatnot, then its nothing more than idle gossip or backbiting. As far as the argument goes about informing others, don't you think its their own job to stay informed, not yours, on their behalf. OTOH, by merely metioning someone's name does not mean you're promoting them incessantly. That's the listener reading into things way too far.

George-ananda

Premium Member
Does the ash still oozes out of his photographs or it has stopped?
It continues unabated on multiple continents, yes.
"On 17 June 2011, officials from the Sri Sathya Sai Central Trust (founded as a charitable Trust in India, and legally separate from religious activities), opened his private residence in the presence of government, bank and tax department officials, including retired Supreme Court Judge A P Mishra and retired judge of Karnataka High Court Vaidyanatha, an assessor approved by the Income Tax Department, and former Chief Justice of India P N Bhagavati. In the private residence, which had been sealed since his death, they inventoried 98 kg of gold ornaments, approximate value Rs 210 million (US$4.7m), 307 kg of silver ornaments, approximate value Rs 16 million (US$0.36m), and Rs 116 million (US$2.6m) in cash."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sathya_Sai_Baba#Opening_of_residence
This is not the first time you have brought this up. The Trust has explained these were personal gifts to Swami that he just set aside without opening. He received an untold number of personal gifts all the time. They stacked up for years unopened including many large checks that have now long expired. Let me repeat, many unopened packages with expired bank checks. Why are you asserting this like it implies some scandal? He had a policy of not accepting money. His trust was built primarily through collaborative efforts with some extremely wealthy families primarily in India. The durable gifts are now property of the trust to be used in the trust's service activities primarily in India.

Sathya Sai Baba publicly responded to some allegations on 25 December 2000:

Some people out of their mean-mindedness are trying to tarnish the image of Sai Baba. I am not after name and fame. So, I do not lose anything by their false allegations. My glory will go on increasing day by day. It will never diminish even a bit if they were to publicise their false allegations in the whole world in bold letters. Some devotees seem to be perturbed over these false statements. They are not true devotees at all. Having known the mighty power of Sai, why should they be afraid of the 'cawing of crows'? One should not get carried away by all that is written on walls, said in political meetings or the vulgar tales carried by the print media.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
To a sannyasi, nothing should have been personal. I do not accuse Sai for any financial scandal (there may be others), but even his attitude of hoarding was not in line with 'sannyasa'.

George-ananda

Premium Member
To a sannyasi, nothing should have been personal. I do not accuse Sai for any financial scandal (there may be others), but even his attitude of hoarding was not in line with 'sannyasa'.
Hoarding or disinterest?

ShivaFan

Satyameva Jayate
Premium Member
Aup,

This must be related to the picture I shared on the Pushpabhishekam thread which happened to be Nithyananda in this case but the picture was only for the purpose of informing those who might be unfamiliar that this bathing with flower petals is not only done to Murtis and such, but also to People and Savants and Gurus etc. and it is common practice in India.

The petals are also poured onto the feet in some cases, and there are many other forms of Abhishekam including using gold coins which I would not recommend your pour over the head of a King or a relative or a Guru or anybody if too many coins as the person might end up in a hospital but flower petals are always nice.

The picture was not meant to be an endorsement of Nityananda. I found the picture as a good example.

Yes, I have been to the Vedic Temple in Milpitas off and on because I go to any temple which has nice Murtis and I have to say the Devi at this temple is very beautiful indeed. But I am not a member of his sect. Yes I am aware of his philandering with this Bollywood girl. While not good, I am able to forgive sometimes as well. As far as I know, he never molested a child, that is the limit for me and that I do not nor will forgive.

I can tell truths about some, several, famous Gurus. I won't. They made a fall down, but still they had the goodness of heart and the knowledge returned to them. Some say "Oh Guru MUST be PURE". Well, some were not sometimes. But I still respect them for what they were, then how they came back again. Some Guru's are above us humans. Some are not. When they fall down but come back, I do not hate them if they slept with a prostitute. They may not be "the pure Guru" but I see the human in them and I think, still a good human.

There may be some so-called Gurus who might we hate for reason. Some went power hungry. Perhaps they needed to be shamed but then took the shame, and then step forward and continued the human life and for goodness. I think, I could NEVER take such a responsibility.

One example. I knew one Guru. Why say his name? He was unbelievable in intelligence and in delivery and in knowledge of what is pertinent from the past to the present. He became known to many. He became even more dedicated as fame arose. Yet, then something happened. He started to become paranoid. Yes. Then came the guns. This Guru ended up in jail. Seriously. When he came out of jail, he went back to what he was. His messages were even more powerful than before. Yes, he fell down. Failed. But that is life and death. But he didn't molest any child. I was not his follower, never mind that, he had lost all his disciples. Yet today, they remember the past, and now others see again that quality of his soul. When he goes to the temple, he again gets greetings and great respect. Forgiven.

George-ananda

Premium Member
Not to mention, 'sannyasi'??? Try 'poorna avatar'.

Satyamavejayanti

DeviChaaya

Namaste,

I am not much familiar with this particular Guru, but it seems one of the videos provided claims a sex scandal to be fake? so i don't know how much of the Anti-Guru propaganda is true?

Seems just like the Indian Media at it again.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
That it is a fake is propaganda, face saving. That is what they do all the time in Indian politics - 'it is not my voice, dubbed'.

George-ananda

Premium Member
Namaste,

I am not much familiar with this particular Guru, but it seems one of the videos provided claims a sex scandal to be fake? so i don't know how much of the Anti-Guru propaganda is true?

Seems just like the Indian Media at it again.
And look at the quality of the people commenting on the Sai Baba allegations:

In an official letter made public in December 2001, Atal Bihari Vajpayee (then Prime Minister of India and a devotee of Sathya Sai Baba),[88] P.N. Bhagwati (Former Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of India), Ranganath Misra (Chair Person, National Human Rights Commissioner of India and Former Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of India), Najma Heptulla (President of the Inter-Parliamentary Union; UNDP Distinguished Human Development Ambassador) and Shivraj Patil (Member of Parliament, India; Formerly of the Lok Sabha & Union Minister) all signed the following statement:

We are deeply pained and anguished by the wild, reckless and concocted allegations made by certain vested interests and people against Bhagwan Sri Sathya Sai Baba. We would normally expect that responsible media would ascertain the true facts before printing such a calumny – especially when the person is revered globally as an embodiment of love and selfless service to humanity.[

Haters typically go at some money or sex allegations because they are not easy things for the lay person to unsort truth from lies. To know the truth in the internet age one has to do homework and there is not enough time to do it on everything. The Sai Baba allegations I have looked into myself and nothing has stood from neutral observation and one can see a small group of haters commenting again and again versus highly intelligent and respected people dedicating their lives with nothing to gain by perpetrating a fraud.