• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Papa & Punya

amit jain

Hi All,

Please refer to the below Sutra of Mahavira

Sovanniyam pi niyalam, bandhadi kalayasam pi jaha purisam. Bandhadi evam jivam, suhamasuham va kadam kammam.

It means:-
Just as fetter whether made of iron or gold binds a person similarly Karma whether auspicious (punya) or inauspicious (Papa) binds the soul.- Sutra No 201, Saman Suttam.

Firstly i would like to know if this Sutra is from Agam's, and if yes, i would like to know the the details of the same.

Secondly, i would like to start a discussion on this topic. It says that both good and bad deeds are worth renouncing for a seeker of liberation.

I recently was in a discussion with a Jain monk who told me that this Sutra is wrong and is against Jain philosophy.

Please advice.

Thanks & Kind Regards,
Amit

chinu

chinu
Secondly, i would like to start a discussion on this topic. It says that both good and bad deeds are worth renouncing for a seeker of liberation.
Yes, Karma whether auspicious (punya) or inauspicious (Papa) binds the soul. Both of them creates Account/identity. (Papa) Is like.. we have taken some loan from any bank, (Punya) Is like.. we have deposited some money into the bank, Both these transactions creates account, Whereas moksha/libration/salvation means to close the account totally from this world. :)

But it doesn't means that one should renounce good actions, One should try to perform good actions in life by giving the total credit to god, Ie; By saying.. god is using me as source of these good actions.

I recently was in a discussion with a Jain monk who told me that this Sutra is wrong and is against Jain philosophy.
He/she might be saying that one should not renounce good actions, But one should try to perform good actions in life by giving the total credit to god.:)

amit jain

Thanks you sir,
Its highly appreciated.

Can you also please help me trace the source of the above Sutra.
I would like to know the details of the Agam and the Sutra No it is taken from.

Please advice if you can help me in this regard.

Thanks & Kind Regards,
Amit

chinu

chinu
Firstly.. am your brother, Not sir :)
Can you also please help me trace the source of the above Sutra. I would like to know the details of the Agam and the Sutra No it is taken from.
Away from the world of logics, i wrote all this on the behalf of -- that what i have realized till now. :)

Last edited: