• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pantheism

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
If you're a pantheist, what do you think the divine consists of? Is everything God or is God everything?

In my view, the universe as a whole, the structure and order of it, working as one, is God. However, though everything within it is a piece of God, it stops being a piece of God when separated (but it's impossible to separate a real object from reality). It is the connection between all things, the web of the universe. The naturalness/order, the determining force of the universe, and because the determining force of the universe is the universe itself, God is replicated as the universe. If any of that makes sense.

Is your belief somewhat similar to mine that the universe as one is God? Or do you believe everything is independently God? Or something else?

Just curious, it's something that crossed my mind earlier when I was discussing how nihilism and pantheism can be related (via Yahoo email). The man I was discussing with encouraged me to describe pantheism from my own view, because there was an observable shaking on that subject in our debate. So, it's noted that Pantheism, a simple theological concept, may pertain to having more than one concept itself.

Tumah

Veteran Member
Just curious, it's something that crossed my mind earlier when I was discussing how nihilism and pantheism can be related (via Yahoo email).

Nihilism and pantheism can be related through yahoo???

I'm sorry! I'm sorry! I couldn't help myself. Please don't punish me! I'm sorryy!!:help:

Edit: I had regret. I will ask a serious question.

Based on what you're saying here, cosmologically speaking, is god a product of the Big Bang or was the universe always in existence? Also, what is being added by describing the universe as god as opposed to the mundane universe?

Last edited:

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.

I'm sorry! I'm sorry! I couldn't help myself. Please don't punish me! I'm sorryy!!:help:

Edit: I had regret. I will ask a serious question.

Based on what you're saying here, cosmologically speaking, is god a product of the Big Bang or was the universe always in existence? Also, what is being added by describing the universe as god as opposed to the mundane universe?

Not sure about the origins, I suppose that the origin of time, material, and reality in general is far too complex for my understanding, at the same time I have thoughts about it like just about anyone would, and I imagine it to be in a similar order as this:

It began with the chaotic, arbitrary prime mover, the Alpha God (or Super God, or simply the Pre-Primary, synonymous with void or oblivion), out of that came the destruction of the Alpha God (the point where existence comes from nonexistence, the lack of becomes the consistence of) and from that, immediately when Existence started existed came the Beta God (or Primary God, its body being the way of how nature does, the happenings of things, the connection of all causes and all effects, or simply the All).

Nothing is being added. Some might see a forest from a hilltop and keep in mind that it is part of something bigger. Some might see the forest and this realization doesn't amaze them.

It doesn't matter, both people are seeing the same thing, a forest. If anything at all, the former person may have a slightly bit more of an admiration than the latter. Perhaps the other way around.

Calling the universe God does not necessarily add amazement to the universe, it doesn't make the universe any more colorful, vast, wonderful, than it does before. The only difference I notice in my perception between now as a pantheist and earlier when I wasn't, was that now I look at the world, while knowing how insignificant everything I am seeing is, I can see an interconnection between all things that I could've seen before but just didn't notice it. If I had seen it before, though, I wouldn't have seen this connection in the same details as I do, and wouldn't feel it as I exist in it daily.

To view a universe as a whole, I see a way that the universe sort of acts like one major body; getting rid of things it doesn't want (viruses, bacteria), building new things it may need, etc. all things connected into one.

That's just how I see it though. Also that joke at the beginning was much appreciated.

Contemplative Cat

energy formation
God is conscious energy, which forms everthing but is actually formless(our sense organs create the illusion of form)

Out of desire, distinctions arise, and the world appears in place of God. By constant worship of all Nature, the world vanishes and God becomes apparent.

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
If any of that makes sense.
Yes.

Is your belief somewhat similar to mine that the universe as one is God? Or do you believe everything is independently God? Or something else?
Similar to yours. Can't say we share the exact same view, but that's because of the constraints of language. I find it difficult to know, and can see this in other people too, if we share the same ideas or not. But, generally speaking, I think we're very similar.

Just curious, it's something that crossed my mind earlier when I was discussing how nihilism and pantheism can be related (via Yahoo email). The man I was discussing with encouraged me to describe pantheism from my own view, because there was an observable shaking on that subject in our debate. So, it's noted that Pantheism, a simple theological concept, may pertain to having more than one concept itself.
True. I'm not sure my views are coherent, consistent, and/or uniform in all aspects. We all are on a journey to self-realization and awakening to how it all works.

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
I was thinking the same thing! :D

Also, what is being added by describing the universe as god as opposed to the mundane universe?
The Universe is amazing. It's beautiful and powerful. It's all knowing and existed long before me and will exist long time after me. The label "God" is just a convenient way of expressing its majestic power and beauty.