• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pantheism Paradox?

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
Okay, I'm really confused here...

Take a look at this quote from Superman: "If we all had superpowers, none of us would have superpowers."

Now the same thing works if we are all God because we would be no special over each other if we all were God, so none of us would be God... Then God wouldn't exist, then wouldn't you be an atheist?

Boethiah

Penguin
I've always thought that Pantheism was the belief in the universe as God collectively. Boethiah is not equal to the universe, but Boethiah is very much apart of the universe. My finger is apart of me, but my finger ≠ me.

Pantheism is also non-supernatural. God is simply a name for the universe as a divine being. God doesn't necessarily mean having omnipotence and whatnot.

Twig pentagram

High Priest

Take a look at this quote from Superman: "If we all had superpowers, none of us would have superpowers."

Now the same thing works if we are all God because we would be no special over each other if we all were God, so none of us would be God... Then God wouldn't exist, then wouldn't you be an atheist?
The reason pantheist call reality god is because we think it either created itself or it always existed.

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass
You're not the only confused person. This is why a lot of people call Spinoza an atheist, even though he wrote a lot about "God" and others insist he's a "theist" because of his pantheism.

What it shows is that the theist/atheist divide is a meaningless distinction the way most people use it today.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member

This would be a paradox if we were to separate God from not-God.

But here's how I see it:

God is worthy of love and worship.
If all the universe is God,
then the entire universe and all things in it are worthy of love and worship.

That's what separates it from atheism.

Of course, that brings up the question of why is God, and by extension, all things in the universe, worthy of love and worship? That's really where point of view is most important, because not everybody sees it like that.