• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Paige Patterson is morally reprehensible

• Thread starter angellous_evangellous
  • Start date
A

angellous_evangellous

Paige Patterson sunk to an all-time low this week. As president of Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary, is known for being a man without morals. He started his tenure by firing the entire history department and replacing them with lemmings who will teach his version of Baptist and church history. Then, he fired all of the women professors at the school on the grounds that women should not be teaching men. The last one to go was Dr. Klouda, who is suing the seminary for $2mil.

But yesterday he did the most morally despicable thing that was even beyond my imagination. An ABD student's wife called the seminary and told Paige that she was separating from her husband, which violates the seminary's twisted "moral" standards. Instead of having compassion on the couple, Paige calls this scholar into his office and threatens to expel him if he does not agree to see his marriage counselor - WAIVE HIS CONFIDENTIALITY rights so Paige can monitor them, and if the marriage does not improve the scholar is kicked out of the school.

An ABD student is:

One who has completed a 136+ hour BA
Completed a 136 hour MDiv
Completed 24 hour phd courses
Passed Greek Exam
Passed Qaulifying exams

This took the student 12 years of work, and he's losing it all because his wife called the school.

She fed him to the wolves.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
But yesterday he did the most morally despicable thing that was even beyond my imagination. An ABD student's wife called the seminary and told Paige that she was separating from her husband, which violates the seminary's twisted "moral" standards. Instead of having compassion on the couple, Paige calls this scholar into his office and threatens to expel him if he does not agree to see his marriage counselor - WAIVE HIS CONFIDENTIALITY rights so Paige can monitor them, and if the marriage does not improve the scholar is kicked out of the school.
How do they justify standards like this? Do they try to somehow try to link this policy to the Bible?

Personally, I think it seems quite messed up in a number of respects.

A

angellous_evangellous

How do they justify standards like this? Do they try to somehow try to link this policy to the Bible?

Personally, I think it seems quite messed up in a number of respects.

Yes - but it's geared by an irrational fear of not following the Bible close enough. I think that Paige is basically a power-driven fatherless son of a snake who cares only for feeding his own ego, and I hope that he goes to hell. However, there is a slight possibility that Paige honestly thinks that he is applying his interpretation of the Bible to the application of his office. He sees divorce as morally wrong and he sees it as his responsibility to destroy the lives of students who are victims of divorce or those who for whatever reason divorce.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
However, there is a slight possibility that Paige honestly thinks that he is applying his interpretation of the Bible to the application of his office. He sees divorce as morally wrong and he sees it as his responsibility to destroy the lives of students who are victims of divorce or those who for whatever reason divorce.
What about the basic idea that sin (if divorce is sinful) is on the head of the person who commits it, and that a marriage is made up of two people?

Also, Romans 14 (especially verse 4) is going through my head. Didn't Patterson read that part of the Bible? Arrgh.

A

angellous_evangellous

What about the basic idea that sin (if divorce is sinful) is on the head of the person who commits it, and that a marriage is made up of two people?

Also, Romans 14 (especially verse 4) is going through my head. Didn't Patterson read that part of the Bible? Arrgh.

Yes, Romans 14 is completely ignored. Perhaps he thinks that he will accept him - but not as a student. The whole thing is twisted and self-serving.

I grew up Baptist, and I've been asked why I didn't go to SWBTS. It's because I knew that Paige was diabolically evil. He may as well spit fire and sprout horns.

A

angellous_evangellous

It's like I say -

Unbelievers are fine, Christ died for the sins of the church.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Hmm.

In my time, I've tried (and to an extent continue to try) to give Christianity a chance... so far, it hasn't "clicked" for me (and I think it's becoming less and less likely... if it was ever possible at all), but even if I became completely convinced of the truth of the Bible and Christ, I don't think I could ever join a church that didn't demonstrate compassion.

It's like I say -

Unbelievers are fine, Christ died for the sins of the church.

What do you mean?

A

angellous_evangellous

What do you mean?

Christ said that he came for the sick (the church) and not for those who don't need the kind of doctor that he was (everyone else). It's almost a view of religion and religious people established by Nietzsche.

Paige is merely demonstrating his diseased nature, whereas anyone else with any amount of human compassion would have been a decent human being and supported the student.

Is he a corrupted man or has religion corrupted him? I'm thinking that he's corrupted and in need of religion.

PureX

Veteran Member
Paige Patterson sunk to an all-time low this week. As president of Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary, is known for being a man without morals. He started his tenure by firing the entire history department and replacing them with lemmings who will teach his version of Baptist and church history. Then, he fired all of the women professors at the school on the grounds that women should not be teaching men. The last one to go was Dr. Klouda, who is suing the seminary for $2mil.

An ABD student is:

One who has completed a 136+ hour BA
Completed a 136 hour MDiv
Completed 24 hour phd courses
Passed Greek Exam
Passed Qaulifying exams

This took the student 12 years of work, and he's losing it all because his wife called the school.

She fed him to the wolves.
He's not losing anything because he never had anything to lose.

When we agree to place ourselves in a subservient position to religious zealots, tyrants, and whatever kind of controlling and manipulating entities, we have in effect already forfeited our minds, hearts, and spirits for the sake of their dogmas, or illusions, or whatever. And whatever credentials we gain within that limited environment would be useless outside of it, anyway. As long as he stays within the church, he will remain subject to it's abuse. So he lost himself when he signed up, and signed his own soul away. Too bad it's taken him all these years to finally recognize what he's done to himself. But he should have known that when you play with fascist ideals, and join in with fascists, sooner or later they'll turn on you. They always do.

He should be counting his blessings, and thanking his wife, and getting the hell out of there!

A

angellous_evangellous

He's not losing anything because he never had anything to lose.

When we agree to place ourselves in a subservient position to religious zealots, tyrants, and whatever kind of controlling and manipulating entities, we have in effect already forfeited our minds, hearts, and spirits for the sake of their dogmas, or illusions, or whatever. And whatever credentials we gain within that limited environment would be useless outside of it, anyway. As long as he stays within the church, he will remain subject to it's abuse. So he lost himself when he signed up, and signed his own soul away. Too bad it's taken him all these years to finally recognize what he's done to himself. But he should have known that when you play with fascist ideals, and join in with fascists, sooner or later they'll turn on you. They always do.

He should be counting his blessings, and thanking his wife, and getting the hell out of there!

That is basically my view too, but I still feel bad for him.

A

angellous_evangellous

The one who's wife called the school about divorce.

That's still ongoing. I talked with him this morning and he told me about the scandal. We're hoping that this destroys Patterson's hold on the seminary and the student can appeal under new management.

PureX

Veteran Member
That is basically my view too, but I still feel bad for him.
Yes, I agree. But we all have these lessons to learn. The information was there for him, but he didn't want to see it, until it finally landed on him like a ton of bricks. We've all had our stubborn issues, and refused to see the lesson until it hit us like a truck. It's human nature, I guess.

Smoke

Done here.
I thought I knew what a scumbag Paige Patterson was, but I was wrong. He's worse than I realized. I hope SNAP can bring him down. That sounds like a terrible thing to say, but Patterson has caused so much harm over the last 25 or 30 years that it can only be a good thing if his career finally ends.