• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pagans & Magic

Radio Frequency X

World Leader Pretend
As a pagan, I respect all superstitions and beliefs, though I do not necessarily believe in many of them. I am interested in what the pagans here at RF think is the relationship between magic and the supernatural/spiritual. Is magic simply a natural activity that affects the individual performing it, or is there a spiritual power(s) involved?

kreeden

Virus of the Mind
Personally , I think that the " supernatural " is just the natural that science has yet to accept . So , to answer your question I would have to say yes , and yes .

Unedited

kreeden said:
Personally , I think that the " supernatural " is just the natural that science has yet to accept . So , to answer your question I would have to say yes , and yes .

Ditto. :D

Radio Frequency X said:
Is magic simply a natural activity that affects the individual performing it, or is there a spiritual power(s) involved?

Both. Magick is in everything. But not all magick is directed. In order to direct it then we get into the question of "spiritual power" aka....a trained will :)

Mike182

Flaming Queer
i think it depends entirely upon your definition of magic.

i will post more in depth in a bit, i need to get some food :D

Fluffy

A fool
I do not believe in the supernatural or spiritual. Magick is an entirely natural concept for me.

"it is theoretically possible to cause in any object any change of which that object is capable by nature" - Aleister Crowley

Mike182

Flaming Queer
Radio Frequency X said:
As a pagan, I respect all superstitions and beliefs, though I do not necessarily believe in many of them. I am interested in what the pagans here at RF think is the relationship between magic and the supernatural/spiritual. Is magic simply a natural activity that affects the individual performing it, or is there a spiritual power(s) involved?

one could look at magic as being the person utilising supernatural energies for an express purpose, for instance, i could raise energies and channel it into the express purpose of being alert during my next driving lesson, and for other road users to keep a respectful distance so as not to pressure me. this idea of magic does not explicitly involve a deity, though one could call upon the energies of deity x for the specific cause of a safe journey.

one could also look upon magic as being a form of prayer, i could use magic to present an issue to deity x, basically putting that issue in the hands of that deity, for them to do with as they will - this idea is dependant upon a deity, and the magic is a tool that you have available, but it is all for deity x's will.

some say magic is used in the creation of amulets and talismans, again this could use either of the above ideas of magic for the creation of said amulet/talisman, but the essence of the amulet/talisman is the same, in that it has a specific purpose. the purpose of one of my amulets is to shield from negative energies, and the issue of magic is almost irrelevant, because the amulet has a psychological affect on me, because i concentrate on it, and thus on not letting negativity affect me. (if that makes sense?)

i have only mentioned magic on its own, and it can relate to both nature, and the pagan deities, but magic is not necessarily linked to paganism, as magic is not the only way to appreciate nature, nor is it the only way to worship the pagan deities.

i hope i addressed your question, but if i can give further clarification of my view on this, please don't hesitate to ask :)

and obviously, you are free to disagree with my view, as i can only speak for myself, and not the general pagan population :cool:

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Radio Frequency X said:
I have a question: what does it mean to "respect a superstition"? :)

Shrimpy

Radio Frequency X said:
Is magic simply a natural activity that affects the individual performing it, or is there a spiritual power(s) involved?
I view magic as using the natural energies to carry out a specific action. This can be either with or without a deity, some magical workings require deity intervention and others can be carried out sufficeiently by the caster alone.

So in answer to your question... it's both. :)

Keep in mind I have little experience with magic, and I find myself having a hard time keeping an open mind about it. I'm more inclined to think it spiritual, that wherever it is spirits reside, magic is a natural part of such a place.

We're talking about magic, and what pagans think it is, and I'm curious as to what experiences you had to conclude such. Thus far I have been taught a couple magical techniques that are intended to protect me. Of course, I could say "I must be doing this right, because I didn't die today!" but I'm not so inclined to make a leap of blind faith. I take it neither are most pagans.

So, what have you seen that made you feel that way?

FantasyDream

I believe that magic is a natural thing...using energies and focusing/directing it toward a certain purpose or goal. I think that a spiritual power/deity would enhance the results and the amount of energy that could be raised.

kreeden

Virus of the Mind
OneStraw Revolutionary said:
So, what have you seen that made you feel that way?

I believe that each of us have to answer that question for ourselves . One believes , or they explain it in some other way .

Not sure if I feel completely comfortible listing some of the things I have seen ? But the thing is , I still question . And I have no other answer other then a thing called Magic .

Ok , one thing that I have admitted to before is forseeing the future in dreams . Meeting a person and being able to describe them in detail after a dream , when I had never seen or heard any other description of them . { actually , in one case I never did meet them , she was a friend's girlfriend }.

NeoWayland

Hmm, complicated.

I think that the ideas of "natural" and "supernatural" arose from the assumption that Man was seperate from Nature.

"Supernatural" depends on the definition of "natural."

If you had told me when I was twelve that I would have access to a massive computer network that would put almost the whole of human knowledge at my fingertips, I would have called that supernatural.

And a fantasy besides.

It's a curious conceit that we humans believe that we "know" everything at a given point, and that anything outside mainstream knowledge is supernatural. The fact that we didn't know about radio waves in the 1850s doesn't mean that radio waves didn't exist then, it just means that our worldview didn't include the possiblity.

If you pressed me for a definition, that is one way I might define magick. The ability to step outside of a given worldview and return with a practical solution. I think it is the ability to move across borders that gives magick it's power.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Radio Frequency X said:
I'm not a pagan, but I believe that magic is a meaning that we give to an observation. When we cast a spell, when we cast lots, when we cast illusion over something, we impart meaning to the item or event as we saw it. It is magical in that from our perspective the universe works to fulfil our needs with non-physical effort on our part.

The supernatural is the most magical thing of all, because it is not in reach of our observing, and hence nothing we could control even if we wanted to; but it affords us a tool to understand ourselves better. We recognize apparently intelligent forces at work, maniuplating the universe for or against us, and when we make that interpretation of magical things, it opens up the possibility of the universe magically reflecting unconscious understanding back at us.

Zephyr

Moved on
I consider Magic to be someone just getting the results they wanted. Sort of like my lucky coat. Probably nothing really, but if it helps let it be.

Then again, I stay away from magic at all costs. In my traditions, such work is for the fairer sex.

kreeden

Virus of the Mind
Zephyr said:
Then again, I stay away from magic at all costs. In my traditions, such work is for the fairer sex.

And Odin ... ;) Sorry , couldn't help myself . Each to their own Zephyr . :) Personally I have my own reasons for not " practicing " Magic " myself , as in " casting spells ".

Zephyr

Moved on
kreeden said:
And Odin ... ;) Sorry , couldn't help myself . Each to their own Zephyr . :) Personally I have my own reasons for not " practicing " Magic " myself , as in " casting spells ".
Haha, yeah, and he got a lot of crap for it. I've seen many reasons for not practicing. Some of my friends simply just feel no need.