• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pagan Book Suggestions

Ravenheart

Seeker
I am looking for some good books to start with paganism. I plan to be an eclectic paganist mainly inspired by celtic, norse and hellenic recon. So any books of this kind would be greatly appreciated :)

Thanks

bain-druie

Tree-Hugger!
Hi there, Ravenheart :rainbow1: - one of my patronesses is the Morrighan, so your inclusion of her totem in your name gives me warm fuzzies.

On the Celtic end, I highly recommend Mara Freeman's 'Kindling the Celtic Spirit'. She incorporates history, storytelling, crafts, recipes, and guided meditations to create a really compelling book on Celtic culture.

I would also recommend Emma Restall Orr's 'Living with Honour: A Pagan Ethic' for general philosophical value. It's not a light read, she gets profound in many ways, and I think that's an excellent thing for pagans who want to be serious about our way of life and our approach to the world around us.

Can't really help with the rest - good luck, and happy reading! :bb:

Ravenheart

Seeker
Thank you very much for your suggestions Bain! Judging from the titles I see these would be great sources for me to read ;) I will surely try them!

P.S. Also thanks for your interest in my name, my friends call me raven too so.. But if I may, who is Morrigan? Is the raven his/her animal manifestation? Is he/she a celtic god? If so I would be very much interested in him/her as the Raven is the perfect manifestation of myself if you know what I mean ;)

Looking forward to your reply!

bain-druie

Tree-Hugger!
Morrigan

The link above is as good a start as any, gives a broad-spectrum overview of the Morrighan as seen in history, mythology, and so forth. (Plus it's from my order :D) The way I experience her does correspond with some of what's in this paper and found in other sources, but of course we all have subjective individual experiences with the gods.

This is my favorite artistic depiction of her:

Attachments

• Morrigan.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 352

Klaufi_Wodensson

Vinlandic Warrior
My suggestions for the Norse part of your beliefs would obviously be the Norse Eddas, in my opinion the Poetic Edda over the Prose Edda, however both are good. Another is the book Teutonic Myth and Legend by Donald Mackenzie.

Nisou Kitsune

Resident Anime Freak
If you wish, Gabriel, you can start a new threat in the "debate" section of this forum.

My suggestion to you Ravenheart is to STAY AWAY from Silver "Mama Silver" Ravenwolf. Dont even consider her a viable source.

Mata

Insert Witty Title Here
The link above is as good a start as any, gives a broad-spectrum overview of the Morrighan as seen in history, mythology, and so forth. (Plus it's from my order :D) The way I experience her does correspond with some of what's in this paper and found in other sources, but of course we all have subjective individual experiences with the gods.

This is my favorite artistic depiction of her:

I love that depiction of her! :)

Mata

Insert Witty Title Here
My suggestion to you Ravenheart is to STAY AWAY from Silver "Mama Silver" Ravenwolf. Dont even consider her a viable source.
Hear hear!

Edain McCoy is also one that you want to be careful around her. She is rather... "okayyyyyyy?" (Ancient Irish potato goddess anyone?)

@Ravenheart, I'd like to second the recommendation of the Eddas, if you want to pursue your interest in Germanic religion. Also Norse Myths by Kevin Crossley-Holland is a FANTASTIC retelling of the mythological stories in prose form. I highly recommend it if you're unfamiliar with Norse myth.

And if you want to deepen your knowledge, Gods and Myths of Northern Europe by H.R Ellis-Davidson is a very good book that I am reading now.

I might also suggest her book Myths and Symbols in Pagan Europe. Which shows many of the similarities of Germanic and Celtic paganism in the ancient world from what I've read (I haven't gotten it yet. But it's next on my list).

Hope that helps with the Norse side of things. I have to admit my Celtic and Hellenic knowledge is not nearly up to par at the moment.

Ravenheart

Seeker
These suggestions seem quite interesting :) I have already ordered the prose edda from amazon (luckily found a hardcover edition). But these titles you presented me seem like they hide great information. Thanks, can't wait to get my hands on them!

*EDIT* I have just noticed a silver ravenwolf's book "the teen witch" and I must say... she must be as ridiculous as her books huh?

Last edited:

Nisou Kitsune

Resident Anime Freak
*EDIT* I have just noticed a silver ravenwolf's book "the teen witch" and I must say... she must be as ridiculous as her books huh?

Oh, you dont know the half of it, my friend! Here are just a few links to tell you how bad she is:

Tarnished Silver: Why I don't Recommend Silver Ravenwolf (The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum)
Wicca: For the Rest of Us - Why We Despise Silver Ravenwolf
The Problem With Silver Ravenwolf

Its not so much that she teaches Fluffyism as she teachs lies, hate and misinformation as fact. While Fluffyism is bad enough, we dont need people like her telling kids (because she specifically writes her books to target kids) that ball face lying to their parents are ok.

Ravenheart

Seeker
I'm bringing up this thread after all these days, as I need more book suggestions this time concentrating on Wicca. Please avoid 'fluffy' books and such nonsense that rule Wicca's world, this is really sad... books on druidry and animism or shamanism would do.
Thanks! :)

Mata

Insert Witty Title Here
I'm bringing up this thread after all these days, as I need more book suggestions this time concentrating on Wicca. Please avoid 'fluffy' books and such nonsense that rule Wicca's world, this is really sad... books on druidry and animism or shamanism would do.

The only book I have read that I'd recommend would be: Amazon.com: Mysteries of Druidry (9781564148780): Brendan Cathbad Myers, Isaac Bonewits: Books

It's a pretty decent book about neo-druidry, from the author's viewpoint. It has some exercises and rituals in it too, both for a single person and group.

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
So everything by Gardner is out. :D

Ravenheart

Seeker
I read a bit about Gardner Gjallarhorn and I realized he wasn't such a scum after all. I believe his work might be helpful judging by his biography. Can you tell me of a good reason not to buy his books?

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
I read a bit about Gardner Gjallarhorn and I realized he wasn't such a scum after all. I believe his work might be helpful judging by his biography. Can you tell me of a good reason not to buy his books?
I have a personal disgust for the Rule of Three. :shrug:

Ravenheart

Seeker
I share your deep disgust of this rule, but that really doesn't make G.Gardner such a scum. On the contrary, it shows his balanced character