• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Owls in Hinduism?

Sirona

Hindu Wannabe
Namaste,

could you tell me if owls play a role in Hinduism and in case they do, what they stand for?

Thank you!

Terese

Mangalam Pundarikakshah
Staff member
Premium Member
From what i know, owls are inauspicious and is related to Alakshmi, a demon who is the opposite of Lakshmi that represents misfortune and poverty.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Namaste,

could you tell me if owls play a role in Hinduism and in case they do, what they stand for?

Thank you!
The barn owl is the symbol/ride of Devi Lakshmi and is considered auspicious.
The Indian eagle owl, on the other hand, is considered inauspicious.

Sharmaji

Owls I don’t know. Crows however are respected and seen as the companio of the God of Death- Yama. They’re highly intelligent as well, whenever I see them I know he’s near and my awareness grows.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Crows however are respected and seen as the companio of the God of Death- Yama.

A crow is also the vahana of Shanidev (or pulls his chariot, I've seen both).

[GALLERY=media, 8750]303144_10152090523925375_1811995094_n by vishnulakshmi posted Nov 26, 2018 at 7:53 PM[/GALLERY]
down side leg lakshmi owl

Shantanu

It always fascinated me why Hindu gods and godesses had associations with animals: the answer may be to treat animals kindly and value them as important to one's living. But do the specific choice of the animal give an indication of the character of the god or godess?

It always fascinated me why Hindu gods and godesses had associations with animals: the answer may be to treat animals kindly and value them as important to one's living. But do the specific choice of the animal give an indication of the character of the god or godess?

i think ,
God created heaven and earth, animals, birds
god love animals, birds,man,woman
God takes everybody a test
Because Satan is the Devil, who is the devil
God lives on higher place,heaven
Demon devils is upside down (inverted ) lives hell

1. images (2).png
  2. christian-pentagram-569ff3533df78cafda9f4010.jpg
    1.satan star 2. man god star

Shantanu

i think ,
God created heaven and earth, animals, birds
god love animals, birds,man,woman
God takes everybody a test
Because Satan is the Devil, who is the devil
God lives on higher place,heaven
Demon devils is upside down (inverted ) lives hell

1. View attachment 25730
  2. View attachment 25729 1.satan star 2. man god star
I hate to disappoint you but there is no Satan, but there are lots of devils that are guided by the tamasic guna attributes:)

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member

There's a symbolism to it. The Wiki article gives several explanations which I think make sense. It seems the vahana is as much a part of the deity's iconography and attributes as the weapons, clothing, number of arms and other elements.

Vahana - Wikipedia

Deities are often depicted riding (or simply mounted upon) the vahana. Other times, the vahana is depicted at the deity's side or symbolically represented as a divine attribute. The vahana may be considered an accoutrement[1] of the deity: though the vahana may act independently, they are still functionally emblematic or even syntagmatic of their "rider". ...

the vehicle animal also symbolizes the evil forces over which the deity dominates. Mounted on Parvani, Skanda reins in the peacock's vanity. Seated on Dinka the rat (Mushika), Ganesh crushes useless thoughts, which multiply like rats in the dark. Shani, protector of property, has a vulture, raven or crow in which he represses thieving tendencies. Under Shani's influence, the vahana can make even malevolent events bring hope.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
And Lakshmi may come without anyone realizing it and go the same way 'overnight', that is why the owl, so do not be proud of your riches. Apple lost heavily recently.

Shantanu

And Lakshmi may come without anyone realizing it and go the same way 'overnight', that is why the owl, so do not be proud of your riches. Apple lost heavily recently.
Aup, This reminds me: we Odisha people also have lots of wise sayings: one is Aaji je Rajendra Aasone, Kali se fakir. This means a person who is King today can easily become a beggar tomorrow.

Shantanu

i know
Satan = english
rakshas = sanskrit
Satan is supposed to be anti-God, out to destroy Creation: so there is no such Entity in Hindu cosmology; whereas rakshases are individuals who create evil-mischief in the lives of human beings who wish to live divine lives and these are guided by guna consciousness deity Shiva or Parvati or other asuras, just like there are saints among human beings who are also guided by sattvic guna consciousness deity Brahma or Saraswati.

The wicked human beings are known as devils and witches in English and rakshas in Sanskrit: There are plenty of examples throughout history Hitler being one of those devils. And there are witches in power in various countries even now.