• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Out of my depth

Vitality

Sympathies to you and your family. I am all too familiar with the heartache of helping someone who refuses help or otherwise cannot help themselves.

My mother has schizophrenia and multiple personality disorder (which is now known as dissociative identity disorder.) She is mostly functional, but never stable. A few years ago things took a turn for the worst and she became suicidal again. I spent months driving an hour each way, sometimes twice a day, just to clean her house, make sure she made it to doctor appointments, eat a decent meal, and wasn’t dead. The doctors took her off all medication and put her on a new drug, which helped a lot. If she wasn’t on disability and didn’t own her home I would have her hospitalized. I tried to convince her to move closer to me so I can help with daily tasks and spend more quality time together. She was terrified of uprooting from her community, so I didn’t want to pressure her. Attempting to be her caretaker has taken a toll on me. The grief is overwhelming. Losing someone you love to mental illness is in some ways worse than death. At this point I can only do my best to ensure she knows that she’s loved.

I hope your brother-in-law gets the help he needs. Kudos to you for being so supportive. Don’t forget to practice self care.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Sympathies to you and your family. I am all too familiar with the heartache of helping someone who refuses help or otherwise cannot help themselves.

My mother has schizophrenia and multiple personality disorder (which is now known as dissociative identity disorder.) She is mostly functional, but never stable. A few years ago things took a turn for the worst and she became suicidal again. I spent months driving an hour each way, sometimes twice a day, just to clean her house, make sure she made it to doctor appointments, eat a decent meal, and wasn’t dead. The doctors took her off all medication and put her on a new drug, which helped a lot. If she wasn’t on disability and didn’t own her home I would have her hospitalized. I tried to convince her to move closer to me so I can help with daily tasks and spend more quality time together. She was terrified of uprooting from her community, so I didn’t want to pressure her. Attempting to be her caretaker has taken a toll on me. The grief is overwhelming. Losing someone you love to mental illness is in some ways worse than death. At this point I can only do my best to ensure she knows that she’s loved.

I hope your brother-in-law gets the help he needs. Kudos to you for being so supportive. Don’t forget to practice self care.

Thanks. Your mother sounds to be similar to my brother in law, it is so stressful to care but we must care, kudos to you

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
UPDATE

My brother in law was released from hospital on Friday. The consultant psychiatrist believes he is not relapsing and handling his condition very well. The psychiatrist has insisted on certain conditions basically that my brother works with the medical team and follows their advice. He says that he will, I just hope he does.