• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ouroboros

elmarna

I have puzzled over the Ouroboros. While it is considered a ancient greek symbology it's origins is far older than that.
It actualy happens in nature.why is unknown.
The very act in life can only lead to death of the snakes.
For those who do not know what a Ouroboros is -- it is 2 or more snakes swallowing the tails of the other forming a circle.
In greek thinking it means infinity. It also is mentioned life and death.
The later I can consider. Understanding the ways of snakes it is reasonable to see that if a pair of snake insists on swallowing each other the out come can only be death. Thus, life and death stuggle can be considered by me.
It is the aspects of this I puzzle over.
If the snakes did not die in the process the eventual conclusion is the circle getting smaller and what remains is 2 heads with nothing to support!
in the all consuming nature it finds 1 somehow left with a thought that if we find someone failing to see us wise and takes it in with no concern to the poison it comes from we are left trying to take it in,but, failing to support our own thinking. It may be hard to swallow. It may never encourage us to work in a wise way. In all that the Ouroboros stands for it is not likely in my thinking I can represent it in a good way.
It is not likely that the snakes are inclined to do this most of the time. I would consider it is a exceptionally aggressive snake to do so.
On the good side - it does mean a lot less aggressive snakes!
Now - keeping out of philosophies of the past- if you were presented with the symbol of the Ouroboros and only had your way of thinking to tell me what it means.
WHAT WOULD YOU TELL ME IT MEANS???
Thanks for sharing!:banghead3:redx:

InformedIgnorance

Do you 'know' or believe?
Personally I have always seen the Ouroborus to involve movement of the snakes, as they move forwards to swallow the tail, their own tail moves forward, hence the ouroborus is in a never ending chase to truly obtain the tail it nibbles on. To me therefore the Ouroborus represents the pursuit of something that is always just out of reach.

InformedIgnorance

Of course whether you interpret that to mean that it symbolizes an exercise in futility or else perseverance in the face of adversity is up to you *shrugs*

(I have always liked symbolism XD)

Ouroboros is found in other civilizations aside from Greek, and oftentimes only involving 1 snake. It illustrates that the end is a beginning; that there is no true end or beginning.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
It's a symbol of transformation and of balance in the Great Cycle. When something is "created" something else is equally "destroyed." Creation and destruction are illusions; there is only transformation. Similarly, there is no birth and there is no death. When something is born, something else dies; when something dies, something takes it's place.

Put another way: matter/energy are not created or destroyed. Only transformed. That's a law of science.

InformedIgnorance

It is a symbol of having been raised by the White Tower from Novice to Accepted, though only a full Aes Sedai may wear hers on her left ring finger.