• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Our Virtual Ashram

Viswa

Thanks, JustGeorge. Now, where has that old lady gone? :D

Maybe, she gone to eat the halwa??:D

Congratulations Aup.. I think you are thrice my age, 24... Good to see a couple bonding for these years.. Feel, I should have been born a century or more before, and not in this modern world, where within a second - separation and divorce happens if there is conflicting opinions/joy - no forgiving - no sacrificing, where real love between couples very rare to find..

Happy Anniversary.

Thank you.:)

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Your age x 3 +7. My grand daughter is two years elder to you. My wife has fulfilled all that I wanted today. Halwa, then Bedmi puri and then Alu tikki, Dahi Vada, etc. I have also fulfilled my promise of not asking for a cigarette in the evening (She and her maid have control on my cigarettes. The maid will give me a cigarette only when she gives an OK), sort of two security walls before I get a cigarette. We have nowhere else to go but to each other. :D

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
And today is the day when Mother Saraswati asked the Indian singing legend, Lata Mangeshkar, to return to her feet. How appropriate!

https://www.google.com/search?q=Lat...xSSAQgwLjE2LjAuMZgBAKABAbABCg&sclient=gws-wiz
Lata Mangeshkar - Google Search
Lata Mangeshkar - Wikipedia
thequint%2F2015-09%2F22d8cc9c-2584-4148-ad18-c534f96c16c9%2FScreen%20Shot%202015-09-28%20at%202.55.31%20pm.png

Last edited:

mangalavara

सो ऽहम्
Premium Member
I've probably missed it for India, but for here, today is Vasant Panchami! Happy Saraswati Puja, everyone!

Happy Belated Saraswatī Pūjā to you, too. I thought about doing something for that day, but I just could not get into it. Saturdays are not at all my favorite days. I did at least acknowledge the festival, wish someone a Happy Saraswatī Pūjā, and remain physically clean. This coming Monday, the tithi at sunrise will be the Shukla Pakṣa Saptamī, and the festival will be Sūrya Jayaṃtī. I plan to go outside at sunrise and pour to Sūrya a libation, and chant the Gāyatrī mantra.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Question about gandha, i.e. sandalwood paste. I had been offering it as part of a pancopacara puja, i.e. five offerings: gandha, pushpa, dhupa, deepa, naivedya, plus akshata, phala, achamaniya, mahānirājana (the final aarati) and mantrapuṣpa (pushpanjali). So I guess it's a navopacara (nine) puja. :shrug:

Anyway, I've taken sandlewood powder, kumkum powder and mixed them with water to make a paste. I'm iffy about adding the kumkum and probably won't use it anymore. I keep this paste in a small silver container, covered, and during puja anoint the murti and chant

oṁ srī kṛṣṇāya namaḥ gandham dharayāmi
śrīkhaṇḍaṃ candanaṃ divyaṃ gandhādyaṃ sumanoharam
|
vilepanaṃ suraśreṣṭha candanaṃ pratigrhyatām ||

OK, so the question(s)...
  1. Should I not use the kumkum?
  2. Why did the paste form fuzzy mold!? :eek:
I saw it when I went to use it and was disappointed. Maybe it's because sandalwood is organic? I would have thought the lime component of the kumkum would inhibit mold or bacterial growth. Maybe I should just get some ready made sandalwood paste from Krishna Culture or The Krishna Store, etc.?

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
OK, so the question(s)...
  1. Should I not use the kumkum?
  2. Why did the paste form fuzzy mold!? :eek:
I saw it when I went to use it and was disappointed. Maybe it's because sandalwood is organic? I would have thought the lime component of the kumkum would inhibit mold or bacterial growth. Maybe I should just get some ready made sandalwood paste from Krishna Culture or The Krishna Store, etc.?
My information on this is very limited. You get more at Tilaka - Wikipedia. I note that Vaishnavas are mentioned as using vermillion and not kumkum. As for Sandal paste, I think a prepared vial from Krishna stores will be better. In India, we make the paste (not much is required, and in your case, it will not be used by many people) right at that time. the wood has to be rubbed on a stone. I do not think it will take more than two minute. I did that in my younger days during a Lord Shiva abhishekam.

"Chitrakuta ke ghat par, bhai santan ki bhir, Tulsidas chandan ghise, tilak kare Raghubir).
On the river shore in Chitrakuta, the devotees have assembled, Tulsidas is preparing sandal paste and Lord Rama is applying it to devotees.

People complained that Tulsidas is such a great devotee, but they never saw Lord Rama around. So Lord Rama and Brother Lakshaman appeared in their child form and applied tilak to devotees.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Thanks. I’ve seen the sticks you mentioned and how you rub a little onto the stone. I think it’s sold as a kit. I’m going to check again. The amount I use is minuscule… on the tip of my (3rd) finger to put a tiny dab on His forehead. Now that I think of it I could probably dip my finger in water then touch it to a bit of sandalwood powder, just enough for that use.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
and your's, to mentalize that you are his. :)

I never thought of it that way. Though I wear a tulsi mālā for that reason … I belong to Him. Though sometimes I think He might want a refund, I’m not such a bargain. :( I take it off only when I go to bed, get in the shower or very very few other rare occasions (took it off for surgery, MRI). I take it off only so it doesn’t get damaged. I’ve had a number of them break.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
First Monday of the month of Sravana, a great day for Shaivas. Pilgrimage on foot to bring water from River Ganges to bathe the Lingams in various temples on (Kavad Journeys). Happens at Haridwar and Deoghar. The journey is on foot, the devout do not sit or lie down during the journey (they can however lean against things). For some it will be a month's journey over hundreds of miles. Haridwar expects 40 million pilgrims. The pilgrim column as per today's news is 12 kms long at Deoghar.

kanwar-3_1627132567.jpg
Kanwar%20Yatra%202022%20Haridwar.webp
Haridwar, One destination
Deoghar.png

Deoghar, Second destination. Shiva and Parvati temples joined by cloth streamers

Sravana is a pure veg. month in my family.

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Raksha Bandhan today. Usual brother-sister meet in the evening at one of my nephew's place. His sister who is settled in US will be attending the function after many years. I do not know if her two grown up daughters also have come, not sure, people are so busy in the US in their lives. We will see.

raksha-bandhan-sixteen_nine.jpg

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Well, I complete my 80 years on Sept. 16, i.e., day after tomorrow, and step into my 81st, Inshallah (still one and a half day to go).
Life has been fun. Do I want more? OK, til it lasts. I am not too greedy.
No second coming, I leave that for Jesus.

How do I celebrate. Perhaps my daughter and daughter in law will bring cakes, and I do not like cakes. I prefer salty, fried things, but they don't understand. Wife will say no non-veg, perhaps the cakes also will be eggless. Life is never without hardships.

Son is out on tour. Grand daughter and elder grandson are in colleges far away (Karnataka, Odisha)

Last edited:

ameyAtmA

~ ~
Premium Member
Happy Birthday in Advance, Aup Ji. Vegan-vegetarian Pakodas to replace cake - you can start having them for 3 days of birthday celebrations...
cabbagepakodas.jpg

Last edited:

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
So as not to further hijack the Navaratri thread, I'll comment here...

I went to temple this morning. I played hooky from work. My back and joint issues were such that I could not face eight hours of being on my feet pushing and pulling rolling shelves, slinging bags of potato salads, tuna salads, macaroni salads and such, then working on "the line" (the deli counter as we call it).

I got up at my usual 3:30 am and started getting ready for work. I got out of the shower and realized I couldn't do it, so I called out. I didn't go back to bed but stayed up and puttered around for a while. I decided that today I'd go to temple, since I was home. I felt a calling. I put on a nice pair of dress slacks and a button down dress shirt. I did my own little puja before I went. I've not dressed like this in a long time, and it felt good.

My friend at the temple said wow, it's been a long time (at least several months). I was telling her that where I live now takes twice as long to get to temple as previously, about 40-45 mins. My work hours don't help. Going in the evening is out of the question because I'm often asleep by early evening.

I did my round of greeting the deities, took teertha, sat for a while as the priest finished up the Tridevi abishekam. I felt "connected". I told my friend that I see pujas and aaratis on YouTube and elsewhere on line but it's not the same. I felt so disconnected. Today I felt an energy I've not felt in a long time. Not a physical energy, I'm still in pain, but something else. I just felt good being there. I may do this once a week or so on my real days off. I'll get up early and make sure I have the whole morning.

So yeah ... :)

Btw, I possibly found out why temples close during midday. I asked my friend if it was some astronomical or astrological thing (like closing during eclipses). She said that it's been done in India like that since forever because it's so hot at midday. She said it may just be a practical tradition and carryover here.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
So as not to further hijack the Navaratri thread, I'll comment here...

I went to temple this morning. I played hooky from work. My back and joint issues were such that I could not face eight hours of being on my feet pushing and pulling rolling shelves, slinging bags of potato salads, tuna salads, macaroni salads and such, then working on "the line" (the deli counter as we call it).

I got up at my usual 3:30 am and started getting ready for work. I got out of the shower and realized I couldn't do it, so I called out. I didn't go back to bed but stayed up and puttered around for a while. I decided that today I'd go to temple, since I was home. I felt a calling. I put on a nice pair of dress slacks and a button down dress shirt. I did my own little puja before I went. I've not dressed like this in a long time, and it felt good.

My friend at the temple said wow, it's been a long time (at least several months). I was telling her that where I live now takes twice as long to get to temple as previously, about 40-45 mins. My work hours don't help. Going in the evening is out of the question because I'm often asleep by early evening.

I did my round of greeting the deities, took teertha, sat for a while as the priest finished up the Tridevi abishekam. I felt "connected". I told my friend that I see pujas and aaratis on YouTube and elsewhere on line but it's not the same. I felt so disconnected. Today I felt an energy I've not felt in a long time. Not a physical energy, I'm still in pain, but something else. I just felt good being there. I may do this once a week or so on my real days off. I'll get up early and make sure I have the whole morning.

So yeah ... :)

Btw, I possibly found out why temples close during midday. I asked my friend if it was some astronomical or astrological thing (like closing during eclipses). She said that it's been done in India like that since forever because it's so hot at midday. She said it may just be a practical tradition and carryover here.

Friday is our day these days, so I was probably at this temple while you were at that one. Friday here is nice because there's often 4 or 5 people, which is better than none at all, but far nicer than a crowd (for us). Glad you made it to a sacred space.