• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Origins

This bothers me more than any other question. Whether or not we were created by a God, or not isnt really important to me. Im curious, in the scenario that a God created us, where did he come from? Where did whatever made him come from? Please don't go quoting verses about "alpha and omega" it won't help me much;). Or, in the scenario that you do not believe in a God, where did all this come from? Any ideas?

wjb2008

In most religions, the all-creator was just kinda... there. The whole idea is simply based on faith. There is no proof, and there is no way to go back and trace a lineage. Some religions have a thing who created the world, and a thing who created him, but the original thing was still just... there.

For those who don't believe in a god, most of them believe the Big Bang theory. The question then becomes "what started the Big Bang?" Personally, I'm a deist, so I say a god did it. Whether this god is one member of a higher species, or the only one of his kind I can't say. Where e came from I can't say. I suppose the whole "can't say" thing is sort of the point.

jewscout

Religious Zionist
iaminterface said:
This bothers me more than any other question. Whether or not we were created by a God, or not isnt really important to me. Im curious, in the scenario that a God created us, where did he come from? Where did whatever made him come from? Please don't go quoting verses about "alpha and omega" it won't help me much;). Or, in the scenario that you do not believe in a God, where did all this come from? Any ideas?
well for those who believe that, that is the answer to your question...
for Judaism
v'hu haya, v'hu hoveh, v'hu yi'ye
He is, He was, He always will be
YHVH

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
iaminterface said:
This bothers me more than any other question. Whether or not we were created by a God, or not isnt really important to me.?
Interface -
This is the stance Buddha takes; that what matters is what we do with what we have here, now, today; not where it originated.
iaminterface said:
Or, in the scenario that you do not believe in a God, where did all this come from? Any ideas?
It evolved. The multiverse spawned this universe we are in; don't particularly KNOW how, but there are some interesting theories about that. This universe is conducive to the formation of life; life formed. Eventually, life evolved into thinking beings, as it does. We are here, aren't we? Unless you subscribe to the Matrix theory, of course.

Again, though, the question becomes, what are you going to do about it? That is what matters; what we DO, and to a somewhat lesser degree what we SAY. Is this world a better place because of what you have done with your life so far, or not?

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Engyo, Namaste,

Thank you for 'puting me back on track' - I have suddenly realized that I have been concerning myself overmuch with the whys and where froms - you are perfectly right, of course.:)

Master Vigil

As a Vigil, the origins of man and the universe are not important. Most likely it has always been here in some form or another, it has just changed.

kreeden

Virus of the Mind
The Creator is the Source . Can't say if He / She created his / her self , or if they always were ??? But nothing comes out of nothing .

Unedited

I really don't know, but I found a very interesting creation story once that I always refer back to in my mind when this subject comes up. The story was that The Divine (or whatever you prefer to call it) wanted to know where it came from, what created it, and that life as we know it was created by the Divine in an effort to discover itself. It was a beautiful story, but what I really loved was the idea that the Divine knew less about its creator than we do ours (that is if we really know anything at all).

stemann

Time Bandit
Read 'The Trouble with Bubbles'; short story by Philip K Dick. In it, humans create these 'micro-worlds' inside tiny bubbles, and compete to see who can make their world progress fastest. The upshot is, as you can guess, we are in a bubble. And so the chain of bubbles could go infinitely up, similar to what Unedited said. This is similar to the universe not having a beginning but going back in time forever.
Cosmology is a subject with more philosophical than physical roots i think, but the more hard science that gets behind it the closer we will get to an answer i think.

Crystallas

I think this is an answer people have to earn in life, and dont get it until they die. But thats just the way I feel.