• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Origins of the Quran/Islam - various academic perspectives

muhammad_isa

Nonsense. Mo could of actually believed what he said was from God but it wasn't. People even today hear voices in their mind which they assume is God but is just a mental illness..

Oh .. sure. The Qur'an is a product of somebody's mental illness?
Just by chance, it makes alot of sense to billions of people? Ha! :)

muhammad_isa

.. History does not accept supernatural explanations so these academics that believe the Quran is from God are not part of the discussion at all as they do not hold to the historical standards used by other academics mentioned in this post.

So basically what you are saying is that historians who believe in Almighty God cannot be trusted.
That rules out an awful lot of people :)

Shad

Veteran Member
So basically what you are saying is that historians who believe in Almighty God cannot be trusted.
That rules out an awful lot of people :)

Depends on the project. In this case the project is about scripture which is important to a set of believers. There is a conflict of interest.

Shad

Veteran Member
Oh .. sure. The Qur'an is a product of somebody's mental illness?

I merely pointed out an opinion you never considered in your false dilemma. It could be inspiration attributed to God but really only the person's own thoughts. It could be commentary rather than the literal word of God.

Just by chance, it makes alot of sense to billions of people? Ha! :)

You are assuming billions of people are even rational when it comes to their religion.

Shad

Veteran Member
I'm sure that some of them might be irratiional, but I think you'll find that most have them do not have a split-personality

Irrational is not about split personalities. I was pointing out that your argumentum ad populum is fallacious as no amount of people believing in something makes it true.

muhammad_isa

Irrational is not about split personalities. I was pointing out that your argumentum ad populum is fallacious as no amount of people believing in something makes it true.

No .. you're changing the argument now .. I never said that a religion was likely to be right because of the number of followers .. another discussion entirely!

You were talking about historians who were religious were being irrational in believing in G-d, and therefore their testimony was not reliable. It simply isn't true.

Shad

Veteran Member
No .. you're changing the argument now .. I never said that a religion was likely to be right because of the number of followers .. another discussion entirely!

I used religion as an example but I also used Santa Claus. You missed the point. You are assuming believers are rational with no basis at all. I am pointing out that people that already hold the conclusion that the Quran is from God already hold a presupposition which is rejected n the historical method. This causes a major conflict of interests in which believers will never accept a conclusion which is not supernatural. This hinders they role in such a project.

You were talking about historians who were religious were being irrational in believing in G-d, and therefore their testimony was not reliable. It simply isn't true.

When it comes to the conclusion they will never be reliable as they hold a view rejected by the historical method as pointed out above. As a Muslim will you accept a conclusion which states Islam and the Quran are man-made thus the religion is man-made?

muhammad_isa

You are assuming believers are rational with no basis at all.

No .. I think that what you are trying to say is that an otherwise rational person becomes irrational when it comes to religion .. I simply don't agree with you. You are probably right to an extent .. but I feel sure that a significant percentage of people are ENTIRELY rational when it comes to religion.

I am pointing out that people that already hold the conclusion that the Quran is from God already hold a presupposition which is rejected n the historical method. This causes a major conflict of interests in which believers will never accept a conclusion which is not supernatural. This hinders they role in such a project.

Irrelevant .. the same can be said for those that do NOT believe in G-d. ie. that people that already hold the conclusion that the Quran is NOT from God already hold a presupposition which is rejected in the historical method.

The historical method, as you call it, has nothing to do with a person's belief. However, a person who lies, whatever their belief, is not reliable I'm sure you would agree :)

As a Muslim will you accept a conclusion which states Islam and the Quran are man-made thus the religion is man-made?

I most certainly would IF this conclusion was shown to be correct

Shad

Veteran Member
No .. I think that what you are trying to say is that an otherwise rational person becomes irrational when it comes to religion .. I simply don't agree with you. You are probably right to an extent .. but I feel sure that a significant percentage of people are ENTIRELY rational when it comes to religion.

No. I said it depends on the project. A Muslim working on the origins of say Norse religions will have a bias as these religions are false according to their religion. However this bias is accepted in the historical method thus compatible. When it comes to Islam their bias creates a conflict of interest.

Irrelevant .. the same can be said for those that do NOT believe in G-d. ie. that people that already hold the conclusion that the Quran is NOT from God already hold a presupposition which is rejected in the historical method.

Wrong as the historical method does not accept supernatural sources thus such a view is compatible with the historical method. You want the historical method to treat your religion differently and adjust its principles based on your faith. This is special pleading

The historical method, as you call it, has nothing to do with a person's belief. However, a person who lies, whatever their belief, is not reliable I'm sure you would agree :)

I am not questioning the methods. I am question people that hold a presupposition that the Quran is from God which creates a conflict of interest. No normal Muslim can accept the Islam and the Quran are man-made based on other man-made religions as that would be blasphemy in most forms of Islam. I only know a few Muslims that do not believe the Quran is from God but rather merely a product of Muhammad without supernatural aid. However I doubt many common Muslims would consider these people still Muslim.

I most certainly would IF this conclusion was shown to be correct

Considering the historical method already concluded the supernatural is not an acceptable answer you should leave Islam. (calling your bluff here) After all you agree with the principle itself which is used to create a conclusion. There will never be a conclusion within the historical method that makes a conclusion "God did it" correct.

muhammad_isa

There will never be a conclusion within the historical method that makes a conclusion "God did it" correct.

I think that you are referring to 'scientific method' .. I don't see what that has to do with history, personally..

Shad

Veteran Member
I think that you are referring to 'scientific method' .. I don't see what that has to do with history, personally..

I am not. The historical method does not include a single principle which allows for the supernatural as a valid and sound conclusion. This is something you agreed to by claiming you will follow a conclusion produced by the historical method. Since "God" is not a valid conclusion I called your buff.

Shad

Veteran Member
That's total nonsense!

No it isn't as the supernatural can not be verified at all. Thus it is rational.

As I say, that means that a religious person cannot be a historian ..

Never said that. I was specific about the project in which the person is involved in as per my Muslim historian studying Norse mythology.

Notice your source lists methods used rather than methods not used? The fact that there is no supernatural methodology in the historical method shows that the supernatural is not even considered at all. The supernatural is studied by theology not history.