• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Online Aarti - Thoughts?

Benst

I saw this in Hinduism Today years ago about the phenomenon of 'online Mandirs' with flash pujas you could perform. I only casually glanced at it and then swiftly forgot it. I came across one this week and I wondered what people's thought were?

Obviously the experiance of Darshan is something to be experienced, not just through pixels. But, is an online Puja any less valid? Is looking at pixels of a Murti on a screen while moving your mouse to move the aarti lamp inappropriate? Or, is this a nice new way of using modern technology?

An example: http://www.eprarthana.com/virtual/vganesh.asp you have the Murti image, the bell, the incense, the prasad, the aarti lamp and the flowers.

It kind of goes along the same idea as going online and buying a Puja to be said for you at famous temples. Is is right?

Jaskaran Singh

Divosūnupriyaḥ
An example: Ganesh > Virtual Pooja > EPrarthana.com you have the Murti image, the bell, the incense, the prasad, the aarti lamp and the flowers.
Meh, I don't really see the purpose of this if you set up your own little pavitrasthAnam or devagRiha at your home. Something about it's bothering me though; what exactly is the use of including the agarbatti if you can't smell it (since it's a "virtual" ArAdhana site)? The nAriyal I can understand since even though you can't distribute it, the symbolism of getting rid of ahankAr is still there, but that agarbatti is just weird, lol...

Last edited:

atanu

Premium Member
As the purpose is always to bring back mind to home -- to the Heart, in whatever way ... the online arti may sometimes serve a purpose of reminding, similar to say .. the sound of bell.

However, I am inclined to largely agree with Sumit for two main reasons. First, internet as an environment is divisive. It facilitates to drive mind away rom the body. Second, one can better remain rooted in Self, where bhagavan resides, through attention to breathing, to mantra om, through mantra jape, or by enquiry of "Who Am I?".

Fireside_Hindu

Jai Lakshmi Maa
For me it's the difference between having "friends" online and friends you meet with in person. Yes, the Internet can technically connect you in a very indirect way with people online from all over the world, but how deeply connected can you become with someone that you never, ever meet in person. There is more to human interaction that cold communication and transfer of language. Hence, to me, there is more to the Aarti/Puja than just going through the motions. While intention matters the most, I think it would be intensely difficult to achieve the same spiritual connection over the internet. It's too distant and too far removed from it's origins.

:camp:

Poeticus

| abhyAvartin |

It's a matter of setting and
environment. Your computer
isn't built on agamic ideals,
while various temples are.

Last edited:

ShivaFan

Satyameva Jayate
Premium Member
Namaste

Actually, I have been working on a "Wonders of India" website (not a forum), and have brought up the idea of an "online Hanuman temple" in the past, which would include a scheduled puja. Of course, as I have said in the past, in no way would this digital Hanuman Temple ever be meant to replace a real temple, as some other posters point out you cannot smell the "incense" (though technology WILL actually allow you to project flower smells from an attached 3d printer believe it or not).

So there are some great points made, but I am not sure it should be dismissed. The advantage is to provide access to those who cannot go to a temple (such as a person in an anti-Hindu country or government), those on the road, etc. Also, there is nothing preventing the person from waving actual argabati in front of the "digital" murti. I am open to the idea, in the example of my idea, the real focus would be the devotional bhajans that would also play when visiting the "digital temple". So ....

In regards to major temples offering services where you can order online an "absentee" puja (sometimes recorded to a dugital format onto a DVD) in order to raise temple funds, and temples that have webcam or video streaming of darshan with a famous Temple Murti, I have no problem at all with that. Sometimes there is a very famous temple in India with a Murti you have devotion to, and I like the opportunity to request this service for a fee or donation, it really helps at times when you cannot go to India (or other famous temple in the world) and especially when you want to send a "special prayer" to a Devata.

Again, going to the temple itself is better. Absolutely. But the later is also a fair way in need and good way to raise temple funds.

Om Namah Sivaya

Poeticus

| abhyAvartin |
Namaste

Actually, I have been working on a "Wonders of India" website (not a forum), and have brought up the idea of an "online Hanuman temple" in the past, which would include a scheduled puja. Of course, as I have said in the past, in no way would this digital Hanuman Temple ever be meant to replace a real temple, as some other posters point out you cannot smell the "incense" (though technology WILL actually allow you to project flower smells from an attached 3d printer believe it or not).

So there are some great points made, but I am not sure it should be dismissed. The advantage is to provide access to those who cannot go to a temple (such as a person in an anti-Hindu country or government), those on the road, etc. Also, there is nothing preventing the person from waving actual argabati in front of the "digital" murti. I am open to the idea, in the example of my idea, the real focus would be the devotional bhajans that would also play when visiting the "digital temple". So ....

In regards to major temples offering services where you can order online an "absentee" puja (sometimes recorded to a dugital format onto a DVD) in order to raise temple funds, and temples that have webcam or video streaming of darshan with a famous Temple Murti, I have no problem at all with that. Sometimes there is a very famous temple in India with a Murti you have devotion to, and I like the opportunity to request this service for a fee or donation, it really helps at times when you cannot go to India (or other famous temple in the world) and especially when you want to send a "special prayer" to a Devata.

Again, going to the temple itself is better. Absolutely. But the later is also a fair way in need and good way to raise temple funds.

Om Namah Sivaya

Another point to consider would be that
since not everyone has access to a temple,
or temples that are nearby, nor access to
a home altar, nor shops from where home
altars can be purchased out of distance
related concerns...

...an online aarti can be a great step
for those unfamiliar with temple-related
occurrences and events to become some-
what familiar with the mere basics --
especially those that are interested in a
particular Hindu path and wish to learn more,
so to speak.​

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
It's better than nothing. For those people who are isolated, hospitalised, immobile, etc., it can provide something. Many faiths have on-line speakers. Here in Canada, there is a program called, "Voice of the Vedas' I think, out of Toronto, and Dr. Doobay of the Vishnu Mandir hosts it, and gives talks.

Obviously, it's not the same as attending in person, as many others have said. Bit I wouldn't invalidate the experience totally.

Many temples do archanas without the people attending. For quite some time I had a monthly archana going at Chidambaram in India, and received the prasadam by post. In that case, you're most likely not even conscious of it at teh same time it's happening. If you're watching on TV, you're more 'there' consciously.