• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Onion -- Do you eat them ?

Do you eat onions?

• Yes,they are yummy...

Votes: 11 91.7%
  • No............I dont want to cry

Votes: 1 8.3%

• Total voters

Metempsychosis

Reincarnation of 'Anti-religion'
Greetings,

How many do not eat onion here for religious reasons.Any compelling reasons for that?(other than the fact Onions induce passion).

I have been attending several ISKCON functions of late(they don't use onions I guess)..I would like to ask whether there are replacement for onion to make food more tasty.:)

Yours truly,
:p

Last edited by a moderator:

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
I grew up in ISKON so for a long time did not eat onion.
I do now though. I don't think those strict rules are necessary, especially for the average person.

I will let the more experienced cooks comment on ingredients.

I use hing (otherwise known as asafoetida), which gives off a pungent smell, but when cooking with it, gives off this aromatic scent reminiscent of onions and garlic. Without the bad breath, hing is also good for digestion and helps control flatulence. :D

Some strict Hindus and Buddhists will not take onions and garlic (the latter also add shallots, chives and leeks) because they are considered in the mode of passion, and make it difficult to maintain a meditative mood. Plus, they also cause bad breath, and are overpowering. Other than that, meh!

As for me, I don't cook with onions and garlic, and I just utilise asafoetida. Otherwise, when I am eating out, I will happily offer my food to Krishna, and chomp on onions, garlic and mushrooms without hesitance. :D

Metempsychosis

I use hing (otherwise known as asafoetida), which gives off a pungent smell, but when cooking with it, gives off this aromatic scent reminiscent of onions and garlic. Without the bad breath, hing is also good for digestion and helps control flatulence. :D

Some strict Hindus and Buddhists will not take onions and garlic (the latter also add shallots, chives and leeks) because they are considered in the mode of passion, and make it difficult to maintain a meditative mood. Plus, they also cause bad breath, and are overpowering. Other than that, meh!

As for me, I don't cook with onions and garlic, and I just utilise asafoetida. Otherwise, when I am eating out, I will happily offer my food to Krishna, and chomp on onions, garlic and mushrooms without hesitance. :D
Thanks for the tip.I thought the Hing would be first in the forbidden list for its odor.:D

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I can only tolerate cooked onions. They can be sauteed, fried, in soup or stew, but not raw. I cannot abide raw onions. The same hold true for garlic. Roasted garlic spread on bread with olive oil is wonderful. However, I don't go out of my way to use onions or garlic. My usage of them consists mostly of dried powdered.

Thanks for the tip.I thought the Hing would be first in the forbidden list for its odor.:D

They're pretty much used in Hindu households that eschew onions and garlic. It's a really nice spice to cook with actually. :D Because it is not related to the onion or garlic family, it is utilised very often, and it is one of my essential spices when cooking!

I can only tolerate cooked onions. They can be sauteed, fried, in soup or stew, but not raw. I cannot abide raw onions. The same hold true for garlic. Roasted garlic spread on bread with olive oil is wonderful. However, I don't go out of my way to use onions or garlic. My usage of them consists mostly of dried powdered.

Try eating at a Persian or Middle-Eastern household and being served raw sliced onions. XD

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Try eating at a Persian or Middle-Eastern household and being served raw sliced onions. XD

Well, in the interest of international harmony I guess I can make an exception. :biglaugh:

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
Why can't hindus eat onions and garlic?

It's only specific groups (minority) that avoid such foods. The idea is that they have a spiritually negative affect on the consciousness and mind. For the person who wants clarity and purity of mind for spiritual practice, these specific groups believe that only foods in the 'mode of goodness' should be consumed.

Metempsychosis

Why can't hindus eat onions and garlic?
Supposed to induce desires .I do not know if there scriptures in support of this.

My guess is that this notion seems to have spread after many Indian recipes(using onions or garlic) where designed.Most of the population do not care.:D:D..

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
No way!:eek: and bacon, can they not eat bacon???
A sizeable chunk of Hindus avoid meat, and many who don't avoid meat often avoid pork as well (beef is almost universally shunned by Hindus, but many avoid pork as well).

So, yeah.. no bacon and garlic sandwiches for some.. :D

Jeremy Mason

I cook for a living. Talk about limitations. I admire anyone who can abstain from such daunting temptations. :drool:

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
I cook for a living. Talk about limitations. I admire anyone who can abstain from such daunting temptations. :drool:

Trust me, for someone who has been a veg for long enough meat not only not tempting, but entirely repulsive. The look, the smell, the taste- there is nothing even remotely tempting about it.

Jeremy Mason

Trust me, for someone who has been a veg for long enough meat not only not tempting, but entirely repulsive. The look, the smell, the taste- there is nothing even remotely tempting about it.

Ok, but garlic and onion? I can only give so much.:D