• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

One Month of Sobriety; &

Radio Frequency X

World Leader Pretend
I was just curious if there were any other recovering alcoholics or addicts around here. If not, I'm not sure how anyone else will take this, but as of today I've been clean from drugs for eight years and sober for one month.

kateyes

RFX--that is fantastic--I never did much in the way of drugs--grass now and again. I have been sober (alcohal free) since June 20 1999 and tobacco free since January 25, 2000. Keep up the good fight.)(

Radio Frequency X

World Leader Pretend
kateyes said:
RFX--that is fantastic--I never did much in the way of drugs--grass now and again. I have been sober (alcohal free) since June 20 1999 and tobacco free since January 25, 2000. Keep up the good fight.)(

:) Thank you. I've been fighting with the cigarette addiction since I was 13. I'll go for months and then pick it back up. The problem is, unlike alcohol and drugs, cigarettes are only a health issue for me. It doesn't have a negative effect on how I live my life. I still play sports and stay active. Also, most of my friends smoke.

Congrats on your seven years of being sober.

kateyes

Not to be preachy--but cigarettes affect your health in ways you don't recognize--My mother died last year from Lung Cancer, she had also quit smoking in 2000. Take my word for it when I say there are better easier ways to die.

Radio Frequency X

World Leader Pretend
kateyes said:
Not to be preachy--but cigarettes affect your health in ways you don't recognize--My mother died last year from Lung Cancer, she had also quit smoking in 2000. Take my word for it when I say there are better easier ways to die.

Oh, I'm well aware of the health concerns and there is nothing wrong with being preachy. In fact, when you know the negatives from personal experience, you are almost obligated to be preachy. :) However, I'm a huge fan of the one step at a time thing. This not drinking thing is the best thing that has ever happened to me. I was actually up to averaging 14-16 beers a day a few months ago. Pretty much stopped going out. I worked, I drank, I read, I played playstation. It was awful. Since then, I've gotten back in touch with my friends and my family. I've been traveling. It's been the best month of my life.

Circle_One

Congrats RFX! That's a big deal and you should be proud. I've been serious hard drug user for 12 years and have been struggling with trying to stay drug free for 5 years now, but my bandwagon is a bumpy one and keeps knocking me off.

So, now, other than trying to go month by month, I'm trying to work week by week. This Thursday will make it one whole week.

Radio Frequency X

World Leader Pretend
Circle, I know what you mean about the drugs. I lost all of my friends when I quit. It was horrible. Quitting drugs makes quitting alcohol seem easy.

Circle_One

Yeah, and the fact that even when I find new friends, I always end up finding the ones that do the same drug I'm addicted to. It's not fun. It's like I can't escape it. It gets really bad sometimes.

Radio Frequency X

World Leader Pretend
Circle_One said:
Yeah, and the fact that even when I find new friends, I always end up finding the ones that do the same drug I'm addicted to. It's not fun. It's like I can't escape it. It gets really bad sometimes.

I tried everything. :) Praying, hating myself, shutting myself off from the world. Nothing worked. I had to hit rock bottom. But, I pray that doesn't have to happen for you. Sadly, this is something words can't help or heal. Addiction can't even be thought through. Have you considered NA? (sometimes it helps, when I did it I just found new people do deal to). *shrugs*

Circle_One

I've gone through NA (forced through it, however), I've been institutionalized for it, I was in Juvie for it when I was younger, and like you, all I found was more people to buy from and deal to and of course, newer, funner drugs to play with.

Besides, I'm not one to ask for help from anyone. It's something I have to get through on my own.

The only thing that makes me lucky (or perhaps, it's worse for me in the long run), is that though I know I'm addicted, I've learned to control my addiction when it needs to be controlled. I've got a 7 year old son and he knows nothing about it because I've never done anything around him or while I'm with him or when I know I'm going to be with him. I've learned to control myself enough so that I only do it when I'm out on the weekend. But then again, as I said, perhaps that's worse for me in the long run because I know that because of him I'll never let myself hit rock bottom and I'll never get to the point where it's so obvious that even he would know something was going on. This may be one of the reasons it's so hard for me to quit because it's so easy for me to convince myself, at the time, that I don't have a problem.

Radio Frequency X

World Leader Pretend
Knowing you are addicted and understanding how the drugs effect you allows you to rationalize things more than your average addict. I studied every drug I ever took. I learned what they did, what they effected, how much I could use and how much risk I was taking. The knowledge made me feel like I had things under control. Here's the kicker, I did have it under control. You sound like you do too. Problem is, that its the one time we lose control that kills us or helps us end up in jail or in an institution (I've been through that too). But I suspect you know that. Though, if you are where I was, then you aren't too far away from getting free of the addiction. I do pray that you'll find success.

Circle_One

Thank you muchly :)

Thing is, it's easy for me 5 days a week, when my boy's with me. I can look into his face and this realization comes over me that I don't need anything but him. The problem lies in those two days a week that my parents take him (I'm a young, single mother with four jobs and am trying to go back to school, the parentals help me a lot). It's those two days when I don't have his eyes to look into that I slip up.

ladyhawke

RFX, keep it up day by day you'll get stronger WELL DONE for what you've achevied so far

Circle One,i fully believe you'll get there hon,kids are a great leveller,mines 15 now still goes to his dads every 2nd wkend thats when i have time for myself its just about finding something else to do with your time,not easy i know but it will come..take care of yourself and good luck

kateyes

Circle One--it is an uphill battle all the way--most of us go through a period where its 2 steps forward 1 step back--just focus on now, today--worry about tomorrow tomorrow. It all sounds trite--but the truth is there are some days where all you can do is say just 10 more minutes, just 1 more hour--until you have made it through the day. :foryou:

kai

ragamuffin
Radio Frequency X said:
I was just curious if there were any other recovering alcoholics or addicts around here. If not, I'm not sure how anyone else will take this, but as of today I've been clean from drugs for eight years and sober for one month.
good luck with it RFX , i have been drug free for 5 years and have not had a drink in 4 weeks and counting

Circle_One

Thanks Ladyhawke :) Have support and the belief of others is always nice and helps a lot. Especially when the rest of my RL friends are addicts themselves, and those that aren't have no faith in me.

kateyes said:
Circle One--it is an uphill battle all the way--most of us go through a period where its 2 steps forward 1 step back--just focus on now, today--worry about tomorrow tomorrow. It all sounds trite--but the truth is there are some days where all you can do is say just 10 more minutes, just 1 more hour--until you have made it through the day. :foryou:

Thanks hon :) I'm working on it. Tomorrow will make it a full 7 days, drug free. Yay! :D

Circle_One

kai said:
good luck with it RFX , i have been drug free for 5 years and have not had a drink in 4 weeks and counting

Congrats Kai! That's quite an achievement! Here's to another 5 years and another 4 weeks!

kai

ragamuffin
Circle_One said:
Congrats Kai! That's quite an achievement! Here's to another 5 years and another 4 weeks!
one day at a time my friend, one day at a time.

ladyhawke

Circle One have faith in yourself...you Can do it hon...its tough but day by day you will become more strong and you have to have a belief that you are important in this world...(you are hon,you have a boy and his eyes)and the love he can give you and you give him,i know its not easy but i know you'll get there..hugs

tcprowling

Radio Frequency X said:
well done mate. Me? 12 years after 30+ and I still take it one day at a time.