• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

One God or Many

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Do we agree that God is omnipotent, omniscient and omnibenevolent by nature?

If yes, then God is a superior being, which means there is no grater being.
If God is superior being then there can be only one God because all other beings are inferior.

If there are multiple gods then which one is superior?
If none then they can't be gods because they are inferior to superior being.
Your wordplay aside, if one "superior being" is able to magically poof itself into existence, what could possibly stop another equally "superior" being to poof itself into existence?

paradox

(㇏(•̀ᵥᵥ•́)ノ)
Your wordplay aside, if one "superior being" is able to magically poof itself into existence, what could possibly stop another equally "superior" being to poof itself into existence?
What you call "wordplay" is actually philosophy or more specifically ontology, but OK...

"Superior" means that there is no grater or that all other beings are "inferior"
2 or more superior beings is a contradiction because 2 superior beings can't be both omnipotent by logic, they can't be both omnipotent because one may seek to destroy the other, which is an impossibility since omnipotent being can't be destroyed, because it's is omnipotent.

Therefore it's logically impossible or contradiction that 2 superior beings exist.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
I think the natural evolution of religion is towards monotheism.

Religions don't "evolve" just like society, culture and civilization do not either. They change and adapt, but not towards any particular end goal, such as monotheism.

That's like saying all hunter-gatherer societies are evolving towards nation-states.... Filled with dozens of (wrong) assumptions.

paradox

(㇏(•̀ᵥᵥ•́)ノ)
Why should we?
To discuss God there must be agreement on what or who God is, otherwise discussion about God makes no sense, instead it should be debate on what or who is God.

Your absolute dependence on One God needing to be better or Superior to the others is your own pitfall, not mine.
Instead of straight out criticizing why don't you lay down your definition of God?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
What you call "wordplay" is actually philosophy or more specifically ontology, but OK...

"Superior" means that there is no grater or that all other beings are "inferior"
2 or more superior beings is a contradiction because 2 superior beings can't be both omnipotent by logic, they can't be both omnipotent because one may seek to destroy the other, which is an impossibility since omnipotent being can't be destroyed, because it's is omnipotent.

Therefore it's logically impossible or contradiction that 2 superior beings exist.
So if there were two super-powerful beings but one was slightly "lesser" (by whatever scale you've decided to use), you would consider one being to be a god, but not the other, nearly identical being? o_O

This sounds more like you're describing your own weird semantic hangups than making an actual argument for monotheism.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
To discuss God there must be agreement on what or who God is, otherwise discussion about God makes no sense, instead it should be debate on what or who is God.

Instead of straight out criticizing why don't you lay down your definition of God?

I disagree. That's half the problem. We All see and experience the Gods differently. Therefore Gods are different entities. Otherwise all God/Mystical experiences would be interpreted in the same way.

paradox

(㇏(•̀ᵥᵥ•́)ノ)
I disagree. That's half the problem. We All see and experience the Gods differently. Therefore Gods are different entities. Otherwise all God/Mystical experiences would be interpreted in the same way.
But God is what God is, not what people say it is.

Why would I define anything, so as to constrain or put into a box, the Gods?
What a person deems worthy of Godly worship is not for me to define.
Because I have no idea what are you talking about, you might as well consider your car to be God and worthy of worship.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
But God is what God is, not what people say it is.

Because I have no idea what are you talking about, you might as well consider your car to be God and worthy of worship.

Gods don't explain themselves in any way that humans can 100% understand. Their messages are almost always ineffable, and meant solely for the individual recieving it.

My Car is an extension of God (Gods are within everything), and if I felt that was the best way to reach Them, I would worship my car. "Jesus take the Wheel", sort of thing, except I wouldn't ask Jesus to help me.

Last edited:

paradox

(㇏(•̀ᵥᵥ•́)ノ)
Then we can disregard what you say God is.
You so far provided no definition nor any argument for any god(s).
Therefore your dismissal of God is void.

BTW: why do you keep using the term "God" (a proper noun that only refers to some gods) in a discussion about gods in general?
I make my self clear, I don't talk about some God that is so secret and improbable that there is even no definition nor argument out of it's secrecy.

PearlSeeker

Can we talk about bfzsfuevjirccfhff? Words can have different meanings. To talk about something we have to know the meaning of the word.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
You so far provided no definition nor any argument for any god(s).
Therefore your dismissal of God is void.
You think my dismissal of you is a dismissal of God?

A bit full of ourselves, aren't we?

I make my self clear, I don't talk about some God that is so secret and improbable that there is even no definition nor argument out of it's secrecy.
What are you on about? You haven't given a definition for "god" either.

And you still haven't dealt with the problems with your definition of "God" that I pointed out.

paradox

(㇏(•̀ᵥᵥ•́)ノ)
You think my dismissal of you is a dismissal of God?

A bit full of ourselves, aren't we?

What are you on about? You haven't given a definition for "god" either.

And you still haven't dealt with the problems with your definition of "God" that I pointed out.
lol, you're funny provocateur, you didn't even read my posts, because if you did you would say what you said.