• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

One God or Many

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
I make my self clear, I don't talk about some God that is so secret and improbable that there is even no definition nor argument out of it's secrecy.

Not really clear. The Abrahamic "God" is far from clear. And is typically quite contradictory and paradoxical.

My Gods work together and keep Creation operating orderly.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
Religions don't "evolve" just like society, culture and civilization do not either. They change and adapt, but not towards any particular end goal, such as monotheism.

That's like saying all hunter-gatherer societies are evolving towards nation-states.... Filled with dozens of (wrong) assumptions.
Oh of course religions evolve. You don't honestly think that the Christianity that exists today was anything like that of the first century, do you? And yes, actually cultures and civilizations also evolve. "Evolve" does not mean that there is any particular goal in mind.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
What you call "wordplay" is actually philosophy or more specifically ontology, but OK...

"Superior" means that there is no grater or that all other beings are "inferior"
2 or more superior beings is a contradiction because 2 superior beings can't be both omnipotent by logic, they can't be both omnipotent because one may seek to destroy the other, which is an impossibility since omnipotent being can't be destroyed, because it's is omnipotent.

Therefore it's logically impossible or contradiction that 2 superior beings exist.

No, because then logic is superior to the superior beings. You are playing with logic.

IndigoChild5559

Which means going from "polytheism" to "monotheism" as the likely/logical outcome as you stated, is nothing more then your own assumption and bias then.
I pointed out that the evolution was in that direction. It has to do with the invention of writing, so that future scholars have previous scholars to build on. I think our understanding of God will be even better in the future of us.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
It has to do with the invention of writing, so that future scholars have previous scholars to build on. I think our understanding of God will be even better in the future of us.

The invention of writing doesn't necessitate talking about God in some singular sense.

IndigoChild5559

Actually it does. That's why evolution (without aim) is self-contradictory.

"Change" would be a more appropriate word.
Not really. For example, fish evolved into land animals. And yet later, hooved land mammals evolved into whales, returning to the sea.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
Assumption? I gave evidence, that of the development of Hindu belief into the gods not actually being real, but that they are the masks worn by the One God, Brahman.

That's hardly the view shared by the majority of Hindus. Again your assumptions.

This is one Hindu school of thought and not even a majority opinion.

IndigoChild5559

The invention of writing doesn't necessitate talking about God in some singular sense.
The invention of writing makes it possible for new scholars to build on the scholars who wrote before them, rather than reinventing the wheel. Thus it is not just evolution, but progression.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
The invention of writing makes it possible for new scholars to build on the scholars who wrote before them, rather than reinventing the wheel. Thus it is not just evolution, but progression.

Sure, but I am sitting here just as easily reading and writing about the Gods, as opposed to God. I have a book shelf of Polytheistic Philosophical Scholarship too.

So who is building upon whom?

IMG20220523105255.jpg

Last edited:

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion

That one God is progression is maybe not the case. The belief is progression may be just that, an idea. Or maybe it is more complex than the idea of a single God.
It could be the fallacy of reduction.

Aštra’el

Aštara, Blade of Aštoreth
Why? Or why not?

What's your stance, and how does that help you see the world?

I embrace and revere several godlike beings, among many, under the One I worship as the highest and greatest God.

Call them what you will. Gods. Goddesses. Demons. Angels.

They illuminate my nature. They enhance my experiences. They inspire and motivate. They provide an infinite source of strength, power, wisdom and beauty. They complement my True Will. They embody my greatest dreams and goals and ambitions.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
I think there might be many gods as well as many versions of the afterlife - like maybe Hindus have one form or cycle of afterlife that plays out, Christians a different form, and so on and so forth.

Exaltist Ethan

Bridging the Gap Between Believers and Skeptics
I am a trinitarian pantheist. The trinity under my pantheism is The Omniverse, Entropy and Extropy. Entropy and Extropy constitutes as actions, and the way they interact with The Omniverse is change. I feel so strongly about this that the avatar I'm currently using will be my next tattoo, on my right under wrist. The circle itself is God, and where all three intersect is evolution.