• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Once again: the orange on the seder plate

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
As Pesach approaches I am again hearing references to the orange on the seder plate, each time with reference to the appropriateness of women on the bima. For the sake of clarification, see here.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
I'm going to assume you meant that in respect to both components of this idea.
Good point. But I was thinking mostly of preserving the focus and integrity of the seder ritual, although one must admit that it has already undergone thoughtful change over the generations.

Iti oj

Global warming is real and we need to act
Premium Member
Could some one clarify what's going on this thread for me?

CMike

The OP posted a link to an article by a radical Jewish feminist that out of protest she adds an orange to the Passover seder plate, thereby showing her solidarity with ultra feminism and how the religion should be "modernized" so it fits into their political/social views. What is supposed to be on a seder plate is spelled out and it certainly doesn't include a fruit.

The Seder Plate - Passover Guide - Jewish Kids

We have some leftist Jews here whom agree with the feminist Jewish agenda, however, that is even going too far fom them, because it's changing the religious tradition to include their symbolism of their political agenda.

Tumah is gently asking why the feminist supporters would be against it and some are answering. I didn't quite get Tumah's "I wonder..." comment.

At least that's how I see it.

Iti oj

Global warming is real and we need to act
Premium Member
Did you read the article referenced in the OP?
No missed it reading now,

Not really much. Just apparently the common belief here that the seder plate is not the place for an orange.
o

The OP posted a link to an article by a radical Jewish feminist that out of protest she adds an orange to the Passover seder plate, thereby showing her solidarity with ultra feminism and how the religion should be "modernized" so it fits into their political/social views. What is supposed to be on a seder plate is spelled out and it certainly doesn't include a fruit.

The Seder Plate - Passover Guide - Jewish Kids

We have some leftist Jews here whom agree with the feminist Jewish agenda, however, that is even going too far fom them, because it's changing the religious tradition to include their symbolism of their political agenda.

Tumah is gently asking why the feminist supporters would be against it and some are answering. I didn't quite get Tumah's "I wonder..." comment.

At least that's how I see it.
thanks, I think I understand now. *goes off and reads article*

Harmonious

The question was once asked: "Do women belong on a Bima?" (Hence, asking if women should lead Jewish services.)

An answer given was: "Women belong on a Bima as much as an orange belongs on a Seder plate." (A tongue-in-cheek way of saying, "No, as it goes against tradition.)

So... Some people, responding to the above comment, decided to add an orange to their Seder plate, bucking the trend of tradition.

As we get closer to Passover, we tend to think about this comment, and its ramifications.