• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

On the showing of the “pride flag, and appropriate activism.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
The Audubon Society is not a company…not an organization whose purpose is monetary profit.
Okay so then they exercised their first amendment right (I thought Americans were supposed to highly value that?) to display a flag that they wanted to. Presumably. I mean why else would an organisation display such a thing, right?

Are you opposed to free speech or something? Should an organisation not have the right to display whatever flag they want? (Within the confines of the local laws, of course.)

Zwing

Okay so then they exercised their first amendment right (I thought Americans were supposed to highly value that?) to display a flag that they wanted to.
Who is “they”? The director of that location? The state or national directors? The maintenance guy? Whose opinion this is is part of the question, along with why they should speak for the entirety of the organization.

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
Who is “they”? The director of that location? The state or national directors? The maintenance guy? Whose opinion this is is part of the question, along with why they should speak for the entirety of the organization.
The people who run and/or are a part of said organisation? Obviously
Is this a community that is solely AI or something? Like what?
An organisation can say what they want to in the US, can’t they?
Again I thought you guys loved free speech

The flag was displayed. One would assume this came as a consequence of the organisation members largely agreeing to said exercise. Why else would they do so?

Zwing

it is according to you about private sexuality, yet not about sexuality.
It is not about sexuality at all, but about displaying a partisan flag. Don’t you see? If they were displaying the Italian national flag (for instance) there and no other, I would equally say “WTF is this? I’m outta here!” That, of course, doesn’t mean that I am anti-Italian. The truth is, displaying that flag has nothing to do with the Audubon Society’s mission.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
It is not about sexuality at all, but about displaying a partisan flag. Don’t you see? If they were displaying the Italian flag (for instance) there and no other, I would equally say “WTF is this? I’m outta here!”

Then do that. Do you as you and make your choice. And let them make theirs. That is at the core of it a part of what freedom is about.

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
It is not about sexuality at all, but about displaying a partisan flag. Don’t you see? If they were displaying the Italian flag (for instance) there and no other, I would equally say “WTF is this? I’m outta here!” The truth is, displaying that flag has nothing to do with the Audubon Society’s mission.
You’d leave if they displayed the Italian flag and nothing else?
I mean that’s entirely your choice. But still. Damn. That’s a bit weird, ngl

Zwing

Then do that. Do you as you and make your choice. And let them make theirs. That is at the core of it a part of what freedom is about.
No, because if I want to utilize the Audubon Society’s nature trails, then I must be exposed to the overt display. I, then, am being inconvenienced by the display, seemingly without reason.

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
No, because if I want to utilize the Audubon Society’s nature trails, then I must be exposed to the overt display. I, then, am being inconvenienced by the display, seemingly without reason.
If you’re inconvenienced by a mere display of something (rainbow flag, Italian flag, a Nintendo flag) that’s kind of you, mate. Like ngl, I can’t remember the last time I was so offended at a piece of fabric that I had no other alternative than to excuse myself from the area.

I mean a Nazi flag, I can understand eliciting such a response out of someone. Because of what that represents. But anything else? That says more about the person than what they’re opposed to
Like are you okay?

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
Perhaps we would understand you better if you would explain how exactly you were "inconvenience by the display". Was it between you and the the bathroom?

Zwing

You’d leave if they displayed the Italian flag and nothing else?
I mean that’s entirely your choice. But still. Damn. That’s a bit weird, ngl
Sure, because what the hell does the Italian flag have to do with the Audubon’s mission? A better example: there is one small town near me where the public library has been displaying three Ukrainian flags. I find that absolutely inappropriate, and expressed as much to the library director while I was there one day. (Apparently, it was part of a “public art” project which will come down soon.)

Zwing

If you’re inconvenienced by a mere display of something (rainbow flag, Italian flag, a Nintendo flag) that’s kind of you, mate. Like ngl, I can’t remember the last time I was so offended at a piece of fabric that I had no other alternative than to excuse myself from the area.

Like are you okay?
Perfectly, at least as much as anyone, I assume. Gee, sorry if I care about my society and the symbols which are displayed therewithin… if you wish to walk about insensate to the symbology around you, then that’s you. I am of the mind that symbols, carrying meaning, are of great importance and effect upon the human mind.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion

That one is the core one. Not if they break the law or anything, but if they have to chose to do as you want them to.

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
Sure, because what the hell does the Italian flag have to do with the Audubon’s mission? A better example: there is one small town near me where the public library has been displaying three Ukrainian flags. I find that absolutely inappropriate, and expressed as much to the library director while I was there one day. (Apparently, it was part of a “public art” project which will come down soon.)
Maybe someone in the organisation comes from an Italian background? I mean that's one possible explanation.
There’s a local book club near me that prominently displays the British flag, despite me living in Australia. I don’t think anyone here who visits it has even mentioned it, never mind been offended by it. It’s a piece of cloth. And Aussies don’t like the Brits, my friend

Perfectly, at least as much as anyone, I assume. Gee, sorry if I care about my society and the symbols which are displayed therewithin…
What is wrong with displaying a symbol of inclusivity of gay people???
Like wow!! You care about symbols so much that you oppose or take issue with a symbol meant to show acceptance of the LGBT community. You realise that’s basically what can be inferred from this comment, right? Very easily?!! I hope you didn’t mean that?

Zwing

Maybe someone in the organisation comes from an Italian background?
Again, that individual’s significance is not that of the organization as a whole, and should not be confused with it. He can fly an Italian flag at his house, if he wishes…

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
Again, that individual’s significance is not that of the organization as a whole, and should not be confused with it. He can fly an Italian flag at his house, if he wishes…
If he’s part of the organisation he can choose to ask permission to fly the flag at said organisation. A request that may be granted
Again I fail to see the issue

Zwing

What is wrong with displaying a symbol of inclusivity of gay people???
As I have noted a number of times above, there is no valid presumption of homophobia with respect to the Audubon society, so no LGBT person should feel at all uncomfortable in going there or using the facilities. According to the rationale that you suggest, every business and organization in the country should display a pride flag, just to ensure that LGBT people feel comfortable (even if they have no reason to feel uncomfortable) in using their services. Why don’t we display them prominently, then, on the national capitol, the Supreme Court and at the presidential mansion, then?

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
As I have noted a number of times above, there is no valid presumption of homophobia with respect to the Audubon society, so no LGBT person should feel at all uncomfortable in going there or using the facilities. According to the rationale that you suggest, every business and organization in the country should display a pride flag, just to ensure that LGBT people feel comfortable (even if they have no reason to feel uncomfortable) in using their services. Why don’t we display them prominently, then, on the national capitol, the Supreme Court and at the presidential mansion, then?

Well, it is politics in the end. And that doesn't only happen when and if you cast a vote. It is always there.

Zwing

he can choose to ask permission to fly the flag at said organisation. A request that may be granted
…and inappropriately, in my opinion. Would the organization not be guilty of exclusivity, for if I were a police officer, and would like to see the “blue line flag” displayed in solidarity with me, would I not be prejudiced against by the sole display of the “pride flag”?