• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

On the Importance of Moon

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Whatever one believes about the nature and state of humanity, there are a few experiences common to us as a species no matter where we live and who we belong to. Two great celestial powers process across the sky, inspiring sacred stories and legends throughout history and transcending cultural boundaries. One of these two powers is the great Silver Light of the Night Sky, known by countless names that I cannot hope to capture here. In the secular tongue, this celestial power is simply "the moon."

By the knowings of science we come to learn of Moon's influence on Ocean, shaping entire seaside ecosystems with the rising and falling of the tides. By the knowings of folklore we come to know of Moon's lessons about the importance of change and going with the flow. By the wisdom of women we learn of Moon's connection to menstruation and childbirth. Through many ways of knowing Moon inspires, and in this thread let's explore whatever relationship we have with that silvery lustrous satellite of our planet. Did you watch the Full Moon last night? Have you ever sat out for an eclipse? Is there a favorite fable of Moon you enjoy?

OIP.OTAEei1TrCo6crx3-haIIAAAAA

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
I find that looking at the moon can be a very spiritual experience for me. And yes, I go out of my way to see lunar and solar eclipses, and transits, and conjunctions, and... cool sky stuff :)

(As an aside, last summer we were out star gazing and we happened to catch a newly launched starlink "train" go by. I seriously thought the aliens were here, I'd never heard of starlink!)

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
I call this the Fable of the Speaking Moon. So, two astronauts, Bob and Buzz, land on the Moon, and they're getting ready to walk atop its surface. However, they pause and decide to first take a selfie in the historic moment. Bob tells Buzz, "Okay, say cheese!"

"What?!" Buzz says. Bob repeats, "Cheese!"

Buzz goes, "Louder! I can't hear anything!"

Frustrated, Bob yells off the top of his lungs: "CHEEEESE!"

The Moon says, "Oh gods... not this again."

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
You might like these Moon Gods:

Thoth - Wikipedia
The Egyptians credited him as the author of all works of science, religion, philosophy, and magic. The Greeks further declared him the inventor of astronomy, astrology, the science of numbers, mathematics, geometry, surveying, medicine, botany, theology, civilized government, the alphabet, reading, writing, and oratory. They further claimed he was the true author of every work of every branch of knowledge, human and divine.

Khonsu - Wikipedia
Khonsu's name reflects the fact that the Moon (referred to as Iah in Egyptian) travels across the night sky, for it means "traveller," and he also had the titles "Embracer," "Pathfinder," "Defender," and "healer," as he was thought to watch over those who travel at night. As the god of light in the night, Khonsu was invoked to protect against wild animals, and aid with healing. It was said that when Khonsu caused the crescent moon to shine, women conceived, cattle became fertile, and all nostrils and every throat was filled with fresh air.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
Whatever one believes about the nature and state of humanity, there are a few experiences common to us as a species no matter where we live and who we belong to. Two great celestial powers process across the sky, inspiring sacred stories and legends throughout history and transcending cultural boundaries. One of these two powers is the great Silver Light of the Night Sky, known by countless names that I cannot hope to capture here. In the secular tongue, this celestial power is simply "the moon."

By the knowings of science we come to learn of Moon's influence on Ocean, shaping entire seaside ecosystems with the rising and falling of the tides. By the knowings of folklore we come to know of Moon's lessons about the importance of change and going with the flow. By the wisdom of women we learn of Moon's connection to menstruation and childbirth. Through many ways of knowing Moon inspires, and in this thread let's explore whatever relationship we have with that silvery lustrous satellite of our planet. Did you watch the Full Moon last night? Have you ever sat out for an eclipse? Is there a favorite fable of Moon you enjoy?

I did observe the moon last night, both physically and ritually.

My best friend is a Pagan without a community. I am a Hindu without a community. I observe moons and sabbats with her, and she observes festivals and fasts with me. Over time, we've become each other's religious community, and I imagine we function somewhat like an interfaith family.

One of my favorite stories of Menulis and Saule. In this case, the moon is the masculine one. He and her were married, and, sadly, he was unfaithful to his wife, resulting in a divorce. However, they each still wanted to be with their daughter, Zemyna(the earth). So they split their custody between night and day.

Another loved story is that of Ganesh and Chandra(again, a masculine version of the moon). Ganesh was at a celebration, where lots of delicious food was offered. As many know, Ganesh loves food, and indulged a bit too much, causing his stomach to grow rounder and rounder. A bit embarrassed, he decided he'd leave the celebration at night, so no one would see his jiggly belly. He set off on Mooshak, his mouse mount, struggling to stay on, and heard giggling coming from the sky. There was Chandra, laughing at his belly, laughing at his predicament. Ganesh cursed Chandra to lose his shine. Mortified, Chandra begged him to take the curse back. Ganesh calmed down, but once a curse is spoken, its spoken. Instead, Ganesh said that Chandra would grow thinner and would only be without shine for one day(the new moon), and would be able to grow strong again.

c8208660661c335bf05839a68f230211_480x480.jpg

amorphous_constellation

Well it's an important force. In a recent throw of the tarot, I had drawn the moon, and this caused me to think a little bit about it. I guess as it stands right now, I think of the whole card as representing a sort of layered image of the head, mind, brain, or something like that. And moon specifically might represent a species of thought that one often does not control directly, as perhaps it is that species of imaginative thought that comes to you, without you exactly willing it. I could be wrong

And so when it is reversed, then it could mean, I guess, that moon is captured within the body. And so the hounds or wolves on the card, are howling for the moon, that one has captured within the body, and the lobster creature is placed at the top of the card, and is able to feed on the moon. So therefore, I think I like the moon card to be upright, and unmoored from the body, so that the strange creatures in the card cannot harangue and gorge upon it; for they most likely cannot handle the over-sweet chaos of its rather imaginative power, when it is captured there, in the body of the earth below them

Last edited:

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member

While not about the moon. This song and it's moon image; reminds me of the calm, cool, and collected aspects I envision with our Sun's brother.

rational experiences

Veteran Member
Men who breathe air first...can't talk about not breathing first.

As you are breathing.

Yet scientists do. Our warning a theist human is our destroyer human.

Seeing we saw his life behaviours in human self experience. None of us in memory like him. Yet you still act as him today.

Science says if I change cold infinity laws it took attacking bodies awAy from earth.

The moon is also a planetoid sun star mass.

So in vicinity closest mass coldest not trajectory laws is the moon itself.

In theories I use about infinity and out of space.

I might infer a huge amount of types equations answers. The moon is an exact answer.

Present mass.

I infer it to water as flooding water was involved with the moon stopping it's sun attack of planets.

Water flooded into flat planes too and now it just swishes back and forth unable to flow out of its undulation.

As earth is moving.

I claim moons presence involves why a woman's body bleeds.

As I themed once humans hadn't lived on earth. Crossed out from the eternal.

Because of suns attack.

So a woman Inherited not a mans penis. First life mine.

Why it bled.

Is the total summation reasons about moons stories.

Once all women's men ...notice men strual is inferred by the man.

Agreed by men.

I know I altered that natural living conditions why I bled from my cells. When I practiced heavens changes as if my living man body penis owner hadn't existed.

One of my owned biological reasons.

Don't change womb of space laws.

As I don't want the sun thesis mass from Infinite to womb to time shift and hit earth.

I realised science had heated space. I said now the moon bled releasing red coloured gases. I knew I caused it quoted how dangerous men of science are.

rational experiences

Veteran Member
Man said to native Indian father. I know I shouldn't travel to moon. It will change my mind concepts as a human only on earth.

But I must get some moons Rock.
......if it's a resource then it's gases can become alight as a fuel.

It will hit earth.

I must know my brother demands proof.

Please holy mother help us.

And so she did.

ajay0

Generally speaking, the moon is a beautiful and artistic object in the sky we all largely miss due to our minds involved somewhere else in superficial activities.

It is after practice of meditation and slowing down my materialistic life a bit, that I came to observe the full moon clearly and enjoy its beauty. Even now, I step out at night on full moon days to get a look at the moon which is tranquil and beautiful and fill my heart with joy and peace.

Spiritually speaking, in Hinduism, the times of the full moon, two days before and after, is considered to be an opportunity for spiritual enhancement.

If one can be in a high state of consciousness during this period of time, it will be easier to maintain this state of consciousness throughout the month.

The Significance of Full Moon | The Pranic Healers

In fact, during full moon, everything will be magnified, good and bad. Therefore, full moon can be both viewed as a time of crisis as well as a time of opportunity. It depends on our overall state and activity during the full moon day to cultivate its positive or negative effects.

Spiritual practitioners in this case, use the magnifying effects of the full moon to deepen their spiritual practice and meditation and to be of greater help to humanity.

On the exact time of the full moon, as well as two days before and 2 days after, the effects are maximum.

Therefore, many practitioners worldwide try to stay away from sensual worldly life and focus their attention to spiritual development. Some further observe certain spiritual disciplines such as fasting to purify their vehicles and prepare themselves for the greater downpour of divine energies.

It is highly advisable thus, even if no spiritual practice is followed, to refrain from various commitments, stay calm and relax the mind during the full moon day to avoid possible emotional and mental fluctuations.