• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oldest religions

xxclaro

What are the verifiably oldest religions? I've heard people say their religion has been around since the beginning of the world but I don't think that's verifiable. I'm curious if it's ever been nailed down as to what came first? I'm sure there where hundreds of religions,each with small area's in which they where practiced,but what about those that spread and became more mainstream?

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
Hinduism is the oldest of the main religions today.
I think Zorastrianism is supposed to be very old. But otherwise I am not sure.

MurphtheSurf

False religion was instituted the moment Eve followed Satan's counsel eat from the tree of the knowledge of good and bad. Genesis 3:4-5
The solution of making things right again was pronounced on the same day. Genesis 3:15
The rest is history.

There are some debates that Jainism could be older than Hinduism based on a finding of a sculpture in I believe Mohenjo Daro of a person in Kayotsarg Meditation. But then there is the episode of Rama in the Ramayana which talks about a land bridge which is over 10,000 years old. There is alot of debating in the archeological world about which one is older: Hinduism or Jainism.

Wannabe Yogi

False religion was instituted the moment Eve followed Satan's counsel eat from the tree of the knowledge of good and bad. Genesis 3:4-5
The solution of making things right again was pronounced on the same day. Genesis 3:15
The rest is history.

Yes we get it. Christianity is true, all other faiths are false. We are all followers of the talking snake.

Smoke

Done here.
It is, but the argument can be made -- and sometimes is -- that all Indo-European religions derive from Vedic religion. I think the evidence is inconclusive, but it's not too far-fetched of an idea.

Smoke

Done here.
Well, why is it that we never hear about these religious practices of the mysterious East, and what they are all about?

You're a member of a forum where Hinduism, Buddhism and Taoism are discussed with some frequency, so if you never hear about them, maybe it's because you're not listening.

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friends,

Religion is all about ways /paths to merge with the source.
It has been since human mind developed to think and act independently.
Rest one would only be arguing basing on their sources and which everyday brings out new twists and leads nowhere in one's merging with the source which is the only objective if any.

Love & rgds
n.b. personal understanding is also that the Bible tries to bring that the above fact with the story of Adam and Eve with The Mind depicted as Satan gets humans to think and that act separates them from the garden of eden.

Rakhel

2,085 BC. Judaism-Abraham

1,500 BC. Hinduism- no specific founder

560 BC. Buddhism- Gautama Buddha

550 BC. Taoism - Lao Tzu

599 BC. Jainism, Mahavira

30 AD. Christianity –Jesus Christ

50-100 AD. Gnosticism-

150-250 AD. -Modalism (Monarchianism)–Sabellius, Praxeus, Noetus, Paul of Samosata

325 AD. -After being persecuted for almost 200 years Constantine made the Church becomes a legal religion, compromise begins to enter.

590 AD.-Roman Catholicism- Developed after Constantine; Pope Gregory?

610 AD.- Islam- Mohammed

1400 AD.- Rosicrucians-Christian Rosenkreuz (1694 US) Rosicrucians- Master Kelpius, Johann Andrea

1515 AD.- Protestantism- (Reformers) Martin Luther, Ulrich Zwingli, John Calvin

1650 AD.- Tibetan Buddhism-Dalai Lama

1700 AD.- Freemasony- Albert Mackey, Albert Pike

1760 AD.-Swedenborgism- Emmanuel Swedenborg

1784 AD.- Shakers - Mother Ann Lee

1830 AD.- Mormonism – Joseph Smith

1830 AD.-Cambellites-Alexander & Thomas Cambell, Barton Stone

1838 AD.-Tenrikyo- Miki Maegawa Nakayama

1844 AD.-Christadelphians- John Thomas

1840-45 AD.-Millerites 2nd day Adventists –William Miller then became 7th Day Adventists

1844 AD.-Bahai- Baha'u'llah (Abul Baha)

1845-1870AD.- 7th Day Adventists-E.G. White

1848 AD.-Spiritualism - Kate and Margaret Fox

1870 AD.-Jehovah's Witnesses- Charles Taze Russell

1875 AD.-Theosophical Society- H.P. Blavatsky, Henry Olcott

1879 AD.-Christian Science-Mary Baker Eddy

1889-1924 AD.-Unity School of Christianity- Myrtle Fillmore

1900 AD.-Rosicrucian Fellowship-Max Heindel

1902 AD.- Anthroposophical Society –Rudolf Steiner

1906 AD. -The Pentecostal Assemblies of the World

1914 AD.- Iglesia ni Cristo- Felix Manalo

1914 AD.- Oneness Pentecostalism- Frank Ewart, G.T.Haywood, Glenn Cook

1917 AD.-True Jesus Church. Founders Paul Wei, Lingsheng Chang and Barnabas Chang

1930 AD. -Black Muslims (Nation of Islam) –Wallace D. Fard

1927 AD.- Mind Science- Ernest Holmes

1934 AD.-World Wide Church of God- Herbert W. Armstrong

1935 AD.-Self Realization Fellowship- Paramahansa Yogananda

1954 AD.- Unification Church- Sun Myung Moon

1945 AD. -The Way -Victor P.Wierwille

1948 AD.- Latter Rain –Franklin Hall, George Warnock.

1964 AD.- Eckankar The Ancient Science of Soul Travel (Eck). Founded by Paul Twitchell

1968 AD.- Hare Krishna (US)- Swami Prabhupada

1968 AD.- Children of God- David (Moses) Berg

1945 AD.-United Pentecostal International- Howard Goss, W.T. Witherspoon (can be traced back to 1914)

1944 AD.- Silva Mind Control –Jose Silva

1950 AD.-Urantia Book- Dr. Bill Sadler

1950 AD.-Lafayette Ronald Hubbard published his book Dianetics-SCIENTOLOGY

1954 AD.-Atherius Society (UFO’s)- Dr. George King

1955 AD.- Scientology- L. Ron Hubbard

1958 AD.- Institute of Divine Metaphysical Research- Henry Kinley

1958-1970 AD.- Church Universal and Triumphant –Mark and E.C. Prophet

1958 AD. -Henry Kinley begins (IDMR) the Institute of Divine Metaphysical Research

1959 AD.-Unitariarian Universalist

1960 AD.-Transcendental meditation- Maharishi Mahesh Yogi

1960 AD.-Enkankar- Paul Twitchell

1961 AD.- Unitarian Universalism was officially formed.

1965 AD.-Assembly of Yahweh-Jacob Meyer

1966 AD.- Church of Satan –Anton LaVey

1970 AD.-Findhorn Community –Peter and Eileen Caddy –David Spangler

1970 AD.- Divine light Mission- Guru Maharaj Ji

1973 AD.- CARP was established in the United States. [The Collegiate Association for the Research of Principles] to introduce the teachings of un Myung Moon.

1974 AD.-Assemblies of Yahweh-Sam Suratt

1979 AD.-Church of Christ International - Kip McKean

1980 -1982 AD.- Tara Center-Benjamen Crème

1980 AD.- House of Yahweh (Abilene) Jacob Hawkins
History timeline of world religions and their founders

On another site.Origin of Major Religions
With a note
This list of twelve world religions is, of course, an oversimplification. Also, keep in mind that there are religions (such as the belief systems of Native American and Australian Aborigine peoples) that go back much further than Hinduism, and there have been several large religions that have started since Baha'i
Hinduism: 2000BCE
Judaism: 1500-1350BCE
Zoroastrianism:628-527 BCE
Jainism: 599-527 BCE
Taoism: 580-500 BCE
Buddhism: 563-483 BCE
Confucianism: 551-479 BCE
Christianity: 1-33 CE
Shinto: 100 CE
Islam: 570-632 CE
Sikhism: 1469-1538 CE
Baha'i: 1817-1892 CE

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
I'd say Hinduism is the oldest major living religion.
Then Judaism, or Zoroastrian. Or vice versa.

Australian and Native American, etc are also ancient paths. Knowing for sure though, is pretty difficult. I'd say animism is probably the oldest concept, though - but that may or may not be considered as a religion.

:shrug:
Dunno!

:D

Rakhel

Then Judaism, or Zoroastrian. Or vice versa.

Kinda what I was trying to point out. The two separate lists both list Hindu and Judaism as the oldest(not even going near the Wiki page), however, one has Hindu being older while the other says Judaism is older.

I agree with "Dunno"

Tiapan

Grumpy Old Man
Obviously it cannot be any of the Abrahamic religions they are far to young, Mesopotamian and Egyptian cultural religions both out dating them by thousands of years. The cults that worshiped Ghia (earth mother) are probably the earliest religions.

File:Venus_von_Willendorf_01.jpg
220px-Venus_von_Willendorf_01.jpg

Upper Paleolithic, Venus von Willendorf, estimated to have been carved 24,000–22,000 BCE
beats adam and eve by 18,000 years. Obviously God is female, since the closer to the source period the more accurate it must be.
Mother goddess - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:

Wannabe Yogi

The age of Hinduism is in great dispute among western scholars. The traditional western date of 1500 bc is now thought to be inaccurate do to the Aryan Invasion Theory has been disproved by archaeological evidence.
Some scholars date Hinduism back to the Indus Valley civilization due to vedic fire pits and other discoveries. This is well before 2000 bc.
Some are saying Hinduism can be traced back to 8000 bc due to a continuous culture from today to the stone age town Mehrgarh. Others say that the Rig Veda can be dated pre 4,500 bc due to Astronomy covered in the Vedas.
There is not any conclusive set of facts, but the dates are being pushed back farther then many Indianologists use to believe possible.