• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Old Catholics

Antiochian

Rationalist
Hello,

This isn't my DIR, but I'm interested in Old Catholics. Sadly, they appear to be a tiny, tiny segment of Christendom, and there's not a whole lot about them on the web, other than some diocesan and parish websites, and Wikipedia.

I might add that I live nowhere near an Old Catholic parish/community, so visiting one is out of the question unless I want to take a trip.

I realize the Old Catholic churches vary in degree of doctrinal traditionalism (Polish National Catholic Church, for instance, holding to Roman Catholic views on social issues while other OCs don't), and some have more traditional worship than others, but generally retain some type of Catholic liturgy.

I also realize many Old Catholics are in communion with The Episcopal Church. TEH is near and dear to my heart in many ways, but I have to admit Episcopal liturgies I've attended are way too Protestantized for my taste and really don't speak to me--plus despite TEC's general liberalism, I'm not fond of the Archbishop of Canterbury and wouldn't want to be under his jurisdiction even in a symbolic sense.

So if anyone can offer more info or resources on the Old Catholic churches, that would be great! :)

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
What do you know about the new Archbishop of Canterbury. He has only been enthroned for a few days.

Both the Catholic and Anglican churches have had numerous break away churches formed when particular modifications to liturgy and practise have been adopted. The Catholics lost a fair number when they Gave up the Latin Mass. The Anglicans Gave rise to many other denominations including the Methodists (John Wesley the founder was an Anglican priest all his life)

Often the inclusion of "Old" or "Continuing" in to a churches title gives the clue to a small breakaway group.

Antiochian

Rationalist
Indeed, the Old Catholics broke from Rome, and are a breakaway Catholic group, in addition to the sedevacantists. They rejected the dogma of papal infallibility. That's really about all I know about them.

I have my reasons for my feelings about the new Archbishop (and the new Pope for that matter), but I'll refrain from going there. (If you're familiar with the meaning of my avatar...)

Indeed, the Old Catholics broke from Rome, and are a breakaway Catholic group, in addition to the sedevacantists. They rejected the dogma of papal infallibility. That's really about all I know about them.

I have my reasons for my feelings about the new Archbishop (and the new Pope for that matter), but I'll refrain from going there. (If you're familiar with the meaning of my avatar...)

Old Catholics are, well, Old, lol. While the sedevacantists are still waiting for this miraculously new Pope to bring back the Latin-rite Tridentine Mass and what they see as 'liturgical abuses.'

Have you tried going into Anglo-Catholic parishes (of TEC) instead? I'm somewhat aligned, more or less, with the Anglican Church of Canada (ACC), and whilst liberal, it seems more traditional here in general. I attend an Anglo-Catholic parish where the worship is aesthetically 'Catholic' and traditional.

Utrecht Catholics or Old Catholics, as far as my knowledge extends, believe and practice most in the same way as Roman Catholics (before 1889), but more or less are ruled by Bishops instead. Old Catholicism, Anglicanism, Oriental Orthodoxy, Eastern Orthodoxy, and the Church of the East are all basically in the same theological boat regarding the papacy.

If liberalism is your thing, there are some Old Catholic churches that are queer friendly and ordain women, and there are others that do not. The Old Catholic Church parishes for the most part are autonomous, and depends on the bishop presiding.

Regarding the Archbishop of Canterbury, he is in nowise the head of the Anglican Church of Canada. Just like Eastern Orthodox, the idea of primus inter pares simply is representational, and not necessarily the head of an Anglican Province. The present Primate of the ACC is the Most Reverend Archbishop Fredrick Hiltz.

Maybe I should visit an Old Catholic parish! There is one in my city, but the only thing stopping me is shyness and worry that I am too much of a social liberal!

Last edited: