• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ok... riddle me this...

MissLisaM

1. Some say God and Jesus are the same person... how could that be? Isn't he supposed to be the son God sacrificed for all of humanity? I believe he was suppose to be the miracle child of a virgin and God.. but then again aren't we supposed to be Gods children? So is he sacrificing us to?

2. Ok lets go with the common belief Jesus is God's kid. This is a question especially for parents... what parent would sacrifice their own kid? Who would do that? I mean honestly how can we trust in a entity that believes his own child's life is worth nothing and would sacrifice him? All God had to do was wiggle his little finger and poof the problems would be fixed.. Better yet why didn't Jesus use his powers to stop an evil ruler that would 1 day be the death of him and so many others? And what did his death accomplish? It didnt stop a tyrant from being blood thirsty.. it didn't bring back all the ppl he murdered for no real reason.. it didn't end the suffering.. so bottom line God just lets his only child die for nothing? Because life didn't get better the day he died..infact some would say worst because water could no longer be turned to wine....

Sorry for my questions I got a bunch.. I am really starting to have my doubts.. but I will start with these first 2 questions...

Regiomontanus

Ματαιοδοξία ματαιοδοξιών! Όλα είναι ματαιοδοξία.
Hello. As for 1), there were different views among the first Christians. Look up 'high Christology' and 'low Christology', for example (the synoptic gospels more of the latter, that of John the former). Some people then had an adoptionist view too - Jesus was fully human until the crucifixion, then 'made holy', adopted by God. The virgin birth was an idea made up later in my view. Anyway, what we get today, the orthodox view, was the construct over many centuries after the fact.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
Sorry for my questions I got a bunch.. I am really starting to have my doubts.. but I will start with these first 2 questions...

I don't think questions bother God.

1. Some say God and Jesus are the same person... how could that be? Isn't he supposed to be the son God sacrificed for all of humanity? I believe he was suppose to be the miracle child of a virgin and God.. but then again aren't we supposed to be Gods children? So is he sacrificing us to?
Yes, that is quite a mouth full. Part of the confusion is equating The Word that was God as exactly the same as when "John 1:14 So the Word became human and made his home among us."

Like when one says love, there are different meanings for "love". I love my wife and I love pizza is are two different things. We being sons of God and The Word become "My son" mean two different things.

How can they be the same person? You have a spirit and a body... are they different? Are they the same "you"?

All God had to do was wiggle his little finger and poof the problems would be fixed.. Better yet why didn't Jesus use his powers to stop an evil ruler that would 1 day be the death of him and so many others? And what did his death accomplish? It didnt stop a tyrant from being blood thirsty.. it didn't bring back all the ppl he murdered for no real reason.. it didn't end the suffering.. so bottom line God just lets his only child die for nothing? Because life didn't get better the day he died..infact some would say worst because water could no longer be turned to wine....
I would call that a cursory observation (although understanding why one would think that).

But, no, not for nothing. If you are interested, we would have to go to Gen 1 where God made a spiritual edict that man is the person in charge of the earth.

Man is still giving Satan authority on this earth and so, suffering continues until the appointed time.

That is a VERY short explanation but you have a lot of questions. Maybe if you started with one and let it run through its course?

Hello. As for 1), there were different views among the first Christians. Look up 'high Christology' and 'low Christology', for example (the synoptic gospels more of the latter, that of John the former). Some people then had an adoptionist view too - Jesus was fully human until the crucifixion, then 'made holy', adopted by God. The virgin birth was an idea made up later in my view. Anyway, what we get today, the orthodox view, was the construct over many centuries after the fact.

Jesus is Adam

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
1. Some say God and Jesus are the same person... how could that be?
...and is God an individual? If God is omnipresent than are we God?

Isn't he supposed to be the son God sacrificed for all of humanity?
Also what is a sacrifice? Where is it defined?

I believe he was suppose to be the miracle child of a virgin and God.. but then again aren't we supposed to be Gods children? So is he sacrificing us to?
What does it mean to be sacrificed to God? What does it mean to be God's child?

2. Ok lets go with the common belief Jesus is God's kid. This is a question especially for parents... what parent would sacrifice their own kid? Who would do that?
Would a human being sacrifice a child that they loved? Can God be like a human parent? What does it mean to sacrifice God's son?

Would a human being sacrifice a child that they loved? Can God be like a human parent? What does it mean to sacrifice God's son?

Is god the devil? would he forgive himself? would you forgive the devil? does not the temptation faced by the devil sculpt part of Jesus's experience? would you lose your life to be unattached to anything, to be everything? lobotomize a kid to secure a marriage? <-------That

MissLisaM

He was put on a cross left to die.. they say it was a sacrifice for humanity.. thats why Jesus didn't run and why God allowed it... but what parent would allow their child to die? A parent would sacrifice themself for their children..
Example.. a man has a gun on a parent and their child... pulls the trigger, if the parent is a decent person they would jump infront of the kid to protect them, hence taking the bullet...

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

2. Ok lets go with the common belief Jesus is God's kid. This is a question especially for parents... what parent would sacrifice their own kid? Who would do that? I mean honestly how can we trust in a entity that believes his own child's life is worth nothing and would sacrifice him? All God had to do was wiggle his little finger and poof the problems would be fixed.. Better yet why didn't Jesus use his powers to stop an evil ruler that would 1 day be the death of him and so many others? And what did his death accomplish? It didnt stop a tyrant from being blood thirsty.. it didn't bring back all the ppl he murdered for no real reason.. it didn't end the suffering.. so bottom line God just lets his only child die for nothing? Because life didn't get better the day he died..infact some would say worst because water could no longer be turned to wine....

Well. The first. He isn't. Jesus is gods rep.

The second, god sacrifices an incarnation of himself. So, in that sense, he isnt sacrificing a person but another form of himself.

Thats why people figure jesus is god. God can sacrifice an incarnation as himself but to tell a human to do it it's seen as ungodly. I guess cause god can't do his will through humans anymore as he did throughout most the bible.

Jesus as god just shows the relationship god has with his son.

Jesus sacrifice just means you sacrifice yourself for god. Its more experiential rather than theological.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
He was put on a cross left to die.. they say it was a sacrifice for humanity.. thats why Jesus didn't run and why God allowed it... but what parent would allow their child to die? A parent would sacrifice themself for their children..
Example.. a man has a gun on a parent and their child... pulls the trigger, if the parent is a decent person they would jump infront of the kid to protect them, hence taking the bullet...

God isn't a physical parent. The parent child is just saying jesus is subordinate to the creator. So the love for father son is different than humans in that death to god is positive and to humans negative. So, suffering for god is positive. Many saints and people do it all the time. But human parents have more morals for a person's life at present rather than future. Parents value their children's present life while god their eternal.

74x12

I suggest reading the new Testament for yourself as you seem to have so many questions about it. That's where you need to start. And if you have faith then pray for God to give you understanding as you read.

nPeace

Veteran Member

I think those questions are well answered biblically in these videos.
Why Did Jesus Die?
Why Has Suffering Not Ended?

If you still have more questions, on these or others, please don't hesitant to ask.

nPeace

Veteran Member
That's a very good example.
Suppose the death of the child though, meant the saving of all humanity, and the son said, "Father. Here I am. I am willing to make this sacrifice for all, that they might live."?

If God is capable of snapping his fingers to end suffering, surely restoring his son to life would be cake... but God simply is not a magician. He doesn't do that stuff.

We only think that way because of our familiarity with magicians who use sleight of hand. God is not like that. The Bible refers to him as full of dynamic energy, and vigorous in power. So God uses his power, and active force to act on elements, just as energy does. Only his is the greatest energy in existence. Nothing know to scientists today is any match. Isaiah 40:26