• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Offering food to Krishna

You can't... :p that's an old joke about some people being such bad cooks they could even burn water. Or the associated joke... "I'm such a bad cook I can't even boil water".

I must be that young. ;)

I've had a teenage girl burn water once... she left the boiling water on the stove and attended some other important duty... namely the television. The whole kitchen was in smoke. :eek:

I've also heard of another friend who burned french fries in the oven... burn nachos, and other simple preparations. And toast... good lord, toast.

Radhashtami was nice. I had rice, chickpea sabji, potato sabji, puris (deep-fried bread), strawberry sweet rice (kheer), mango lassi (yogourt shake), moist blueberry carob cake... and creamy ultra-delicious mango ice cream (kulfi)... :beach:

You feast sounds lush - my mouth is watering just reading it! Im off to the Hare Krishna temple in London soon and they have a restaurant next door so Im looking forward to big lunch.

ConfusedKuri

Is there anything Krishna likes a lot? I heard he was fond of Makhan(butter). How about some mithai? In movies I mostly see people offering mithai.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Sweets... I understand He has a wicked sweet tooth.

Is there anything Krishna likes a lot? I heard he was fond of Makhan(butter). How about some mithai? In movies I mostly see people offering mithai.

He is Makhana-chora, the Stealer of Butter, lol. He loves all dairy products, and sweets, especially made with dairy. But really, Krishna will accept any vegetarian food offered with love and devotion.

Here's a cheesy, old educational prasadam rap video from the Gaudiya Vaishnava perspective. :D

[youtube]UflBJDjJVpI[/youtube]
Prasadarian, (song) sanctified food - YouTube

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
What I made was a very sweet coconut rice pudding, a very sweet cream of wheat, sweet yogurt, fruits. Naturally, none of what I made or offered had any eggs or other animal products other than dairy.

that reminds me of the foods on offer at the hare krishna temple I used to attend (many years ago)

i can still taste the sweet creamy desserts... soooo good.

Does anyone have some simple recipes for those beautiful desserts?

that reminds me of the foods on offer at the hare krishna temple I used to attend (many years ago)

i can still taste the sweet creamy desserts... soooo good.

Does anyone have some simple recipes for those beautiful desserts?

Here's a simple recipe for sweet rice (or kheer).

It really is just boiling milk and rice together in simmering heat until the rice is cooked, and then adding in sugar. You can mix-and-match from here, adding cinnamon, cardamom, raisins... we get blueberry and strawberry sweet rice here. :)

Here's a recipe for halava (halwa). Kurma dasa is the leading famous cook for the International Society for Krishna Consciousness, and his recipes are famous worldwide. :D

With halava, the basic ingredients is just butter, cream of wheat, and sugar, really... all the flavourings can be mixed, such as blueberry halava, strawberry halava, cardamom and raisin halava, or even chocolate halava... :)

And then there are things like rasmalai and burfi... Soo good!

Now there was a sweet that was specifically an ISKCON specialty, and I can't remember what it was. I thought they were called malpuris, and they are basically fried fluffy pastries soaked and served in a sweet yogourt cream.

I'm sure they were just malpuris soaked in just sweetened yogourt, but if anyone knows for sure, please tell me!

Now, I think I may just have to try making vegan halava now, lol. :D

Last edited:

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
Here's a simple recipe for sweet rice (or kheer).

It really is just boiling milk and rice together in simmering heat until the rice is cooked, and then adding in sugar. You can mix-and-match from here, adding cinnamon, cardamom, raisins... we get blueberry and strawberry sweet rice here. :)

Here's a recipe for halava (halwa). Kurma dasa is the leading famous cook for the International Society for Krishna Consciousness, and his recipes are famous worldwide. :D

With halava, the basic ingredients is just butter, cream of wheat, and sugar, really... all the flavourings can be mixed, such as blueberry halava, strawberry halava, cardamom and raisin halava, or even chocolate halava... :)

And then there are things like rasmalai and burfi... Soo good!

excellent> halava is on the menu this week!

i remember a creamy sweet semolina type pudding... maybe this is the one? cheers

excellent> halava is on the menu this week!

i remember a creamy sweet semolina type pudding... maybe this is the one? cheers

Yes... Sweet, slightly fluffy or pudding-like, depending on the cook, is halava.

Just make sure you think of Jehovah while you cook, and thank Him before you eat. ;)

Barfi is like the best thing out there o_O I had like 500g on Eid

I love burfi.... it's soo good. Punjabi burfi with the different colours, flavours, and spices... From simple milk burfi, to the special ones with silver foil, fron pink, to green, to cashew burfi... even carrot burfi... Sooo good! :drool:

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member

Italians (Guido-American here :D) make a sweet semolina pastry filling for something called sfogliatelli (the glia is pronounced like lli in million). But if I remember correctly (I made it years ago), it calls for ricotta, which may be made with animal rennet. Cannoli cream is sweetened ricotta. I would use a rennet-free sweet cheese for both.

native3

Shrinidhi Kowndinya
OK first of all Krishna does not require any of the dishes to love you.....

You can taste the dishes and fine tune it and adjust the flavors and then offer them to Krishna.... it does not matter if you have tasted or not unless you are satisfied with what you are doing and you know you have made something nice for Krishna....

Either that or if you are really that Rigid and want to follow the rules then well fine.... you can prepare the dishes carefully.... keeping in mind every ingredient and other stuff.....

or you can just prepare and offer him directly without caring much for the taste since you are offering Krishna first he is going to make it Good even if it is Crappy....

AFTER ALL HE IS THE BEGINNING, MIDDLE AND THE END REMEMBER?

hope i have told something worthy.... coz in matters of Krishna i can go on forever......