• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Of Mice....the genetic manipulation thread

drekmed

http://www.wired.com/news/medtech/0,1286,68962,00.html?tw=rss.TOP

so what do ya'll think about gene manipulation. i know that i have heard things from both sides. if this kind of regeneration ability were able to translate over to humans, how do you think it would effect your views. would it still be going into a realm we shouldn't, or would it be, as i feel, just the next step in our own evolution?

i think this kind of thing would be a great step for humanity, however it will also have definate military applications. if this were to happen, it could mean extended life, better health, and who knows what else.:woohoo:

so without further ado, let the debate begin. Gene manipulation, good:jam: , or bad:banghead3 ?

Drekmed

Ceridwen018

Do you mean gene manipulation as in, I could choose whether or not I wanted my baby to have brown or blue eyes, how tall she would be, or whether or not she would have any diseases? Has anyone here seen the movie "Gattaca"?

Gene manipulation sounds like a good idea, but I think it can be too easily corrupted.

jamaesi

To Save A Lamb
Ced- I think it´s more like growing new parts like livers and hearts and regeneration of lost limbs.

I´m all kinds of for that.

Flappycat

Don't expect the sort of things you see in the films. Reality is so much more pedestrian. Besides, if people could select things about their offspring, most of them probably wouldn't. That's boring. Think the government would get involved? Not gonna happen if the idea of reproductive rights is instilled deeply enough in our culture. Ooooooo, another touchy subject? Okay, I'll stay on topic. Look, you guys, all we're talking about is growing cells in a petri dish to replace those lost after accident or illness, not full-grown humans or embryos.

In fact, the scientists are trying to abolish the need for an embryo so that they can just grow the actual cells, which is what they're really looking for, but, with the best research facilities unable to get around the political and legal mess associated with it, the research is moving at a snail's pace, largely at less equipped facilities, and embryos will continue to be destroyed for their cells, somewhere in the world, until the researchers find a better way to get their paws on the cells, which they can't do as long as they're unable to actually do the research without a bunch of "pro-lifers" hauling them out into the street and crucifying them right there in front of everybody. Again, I'm drifting.

We're most likely to see this technology put to practical use. Oh, we'll have someone here and there who was a freakshow to start with do something weird with it, but the almightily vast majority of humanity would only get what their insurance would help pay for. Fearing scenes out of Gattica? I don't. I think that people are more apt to alter their own genes and preclude the possibility of an undesirable trait being passed at all, but that's just what I'd do. I don't think that people are bound to be so picky about their offspring as to insist on choosing every piddly bump and ding when conceiving, and I don't really think that people are apt to entirely stop doing it bareback. People will probably continue having kids as a result of sexual intercourse until the government decides to ban it, and this won't happen as long as we believe in the idea of reproductive rights. Reproductive rights? Eeek! Yes, reproductive rights work both ways!