• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

OBE With a Flip of the Switch

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
54864.bin

OBE accompanies near-death experience 76 percent of the time.12 Do OBE experiences always embody the qualities of spiritual experience? No! I have many subjects who regard their out-of-body experiences as a curiosity. One night drifting off to sleep, my psychiatric colleague floated a few feet above her bed and turned to see herself and husband beneath the quilt she crafted as a newlywed. She considered the intoxicating illusion “odd” but not profound. Many who have experienced OBE agree with the philosopher Descartes, not in his division of mind and brain, but when he said: “Whatever I have up till now accepted as most true I have acquired either from the senses or through the senses. But from time to time I have found that the senses deceive, and it is prudent never to trust completely those who have deceived us even once.”13 The OBE illusion is one of these sensory deceptions, and arises in the brain’s temporoparietal region. Directly stimulating the temporoparietal cortex with a small electrical current evokes OBE,14, 15 arguably by disturbing the integration of visual, proprioceptive and motion senses into the coherent self. In the laboratory or operating room, the neurophysiologist can bring a patient in and out-of-body, back and forth with the flip of a switch.
Near-Death Experiences: Neuroscience Perspectives on Near-Death Experiences

So if you really want to experience an OBE for yourself, hookup with your nearest Neurophysiologist.

Mystical feelings of Oneness are expressed through a special quality of serotonin neurochemistry, specifically the serotonin-2a receptors. Much like a molecular scalpel, if serotonin-2a is pharmacologically blocked or parts of the limbic system containing serotonin-2a surgically removed, then the mystical expression is blocked too.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Too much of the references are behind paywalls so I can't look at the claims in detail to see if the summary paper's references match what people are truly reporting or if it's round holes and square pegs looking like a fit.

For example the claim: The role of syncope is crucial in NDE. Syncope alone in the safely controlled environs of the neurophysiology laboratory produces features indistinguishable from NDE

People who have fainted (syncope) have 'features indistinguishable from NDE'? Not hardly.

I do agree that OBE and NDEs are too often conflated.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
Too much of the references are behind paywalls so I can't look at the claims in detail to see if the summary paper's references match what people are truly reporting or if it's round holes and square pegs looking like a fit.

For example the claim: The role of syncope is crucial in NDE. Syncope alone in the safely controlled environs of the neurophysiology laboratory produces features indistinguishable from NDE

People who have fainted (syncope) have 'features indistinguishable from NDE'? Not hardly.

I do agree that OBE and NDEs are too often conflated.

Yup, I mentioned the same thing in another thread on OBEs, they are not remotely the same as Syncope. I've fainted on several occasions, and never once had it recreate what happened during an actual NDE with OBE content.

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
Does this have any correlation with the experience people have on DMT?

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
So if you really want to experience an OBE for yourself, hookup with your nearest Neurophysiologist.
I have no respect for Scientists who dismiss the value of Spirituality, believing "My Scientific way is the highway".

Those Scientists created just another "Abrahamic like Religion" (because it's this type of Religion I hear telling to others "my way is the highway")

And even if such a person leaves for Christianity (Muslims usually don't leave theirs for obvious reasons) to become an Atheist, I usually don't see them leaving behind their attitude "my way is the highway"

Before it was about Religion, now it is about Science. Before it was about proving other Religions are wrong or inferior and theirs is the best, now it's about proving all Religions (Spirituality) are wrong and inferior, and theirs, Science, is "the only or best way"
@stvdvRF

Last edited:

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Both fields of knowledge, Science and Spirituality have their respective value

If I want to know about a Scientific experience I ask the best Master in Science

If I want to know about a Spiritual experience I ask the best Master in Spirituality

Because

Science deals with Knowledge below the mind
Spirituality deals with Wisdom beyond the mind

Belittling the other fields and believing "my way is the highway" only proves their arrogance, which is known to blind you, hence will leave you confused and will never give you correct information
@stvdvRF

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Both fields of knowledge, Science and Spirituality have their respective value

If I want to know about a Scientific experience I ask the best Master in Science

If I want to know about a Spiritual experience I ask the best Master in Spirituality

Because

Science deals with Knowledge below the mind
Spirituality deals with Wisdom beyond the mind

Belittling the other fields and believing "my way is the highway" only proves their arrogance, which is known to blind you, hence will leave you confused and will never give you correct information
@stvdvRF

If you read the link, you'll see it agrees with you about the value of spirituality.