• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Obama wins 2009 Nobel Peace Prize

twinmama

US President Barack Obama has won the 2009 Nobel Peace Prize. The Nobel Committee said he was awarded it for "his extraordinary efforts to strengthen international diplomacy and co-operation between peoples".
The committee highlighted Mr Obama's efforts to strengthen international bodies and promote nuclear disarmament.
BBC NEWS | Europe | Obama wins 2009 Nobel Peace Prize

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
I think it very sad and very unfortunate on multiple levels. From the WSJ ...
Barack Obama Wins Nobel Peace Prize. For What?

By Iain Martin

This is completely bizarre. President Barack Obama has just won the nobel peace prize. It is unclear why. For making peace, of a kind, with Hillary Clinton? For giving up the missile shield and cheering up the Iranians? For preparing a surge of troops and weaponry in Afghanistan?

Of course, traditionally it has been standard procedure that winners of the prize do their peacemaking first and are only given the prize after they have achieved something. But this innovation sweeps aside such old-fashioned notions of reward following effort.

Think about it, it’s so post-modern: a leader can now win the peace prize for saying that he hopes to bring about peace at some point in the future. He doesn’t actually have to do it, he just has to have aspirations. Brilliant.​
I think the peace prize has been cheapened ...

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I think it reflects more on how bad Bush is than on how great Obama is. Everyone is relieved that Bush is no longer in office, so they embrace Obama all the more readily.

If fact, Obama has done very little to earn the Peace Prize.

K.Venugopal

Immobile Wanderer
Should not the Noble Prize be awarded for job completed? Has Obama's "extraordinary efforts to strengthen international diplomacy and co-operation between peoples" borne fruit yet? I am intending to write a classic on world peace. Am I in line for nomination before my masterpiece is published?

Apex

Somewhere Around Nothing
I think it very sad and very unfortunate on multiple levels. From the WSJ ...
Barack Obama Wins Nobel Peace Prize. For What?

By Iain Martin

This is completely bizarre. President Barack Obama has just won the nobel peace prize. It is unclear why. For making peace, of a kind, with Hillary Clinton? For giving up the missile shield and cheering up the Iranians? For preparing a surge of troops and weaponry in Afghanistan?

Of course, traditionally it has been standard procedure that winners of the prize do their peacemaking first and are only given the prize after they have achieved something. But this innovation sweeps aside such old-fashioned notions of reward following effort.

Think about it, it’s so post-modern: a leader can now win the peace prize for saying that he hopes to bring about peace at some point in the future. He doesn’t actually have to do it, he just has to have aspirations. Brilliant.​
It was cheapened when Gore won it, now it is completely worthless.

Enoch07

It's all a sick freaking joke.
Premium Member

Agreed. Maybe Obama will deserve it someday.... but who knows. If they are gonna start passing it out to people who only talk about world peace etc. Then I think every beauty pageant contestant in the world deserves one as well........

Mr Cheese

Colonel Gadaffi was robbed

Colonel%20Gadaffi%20Hanging%20in%20Tripoli.JPG

Nepenthe

Tu Stultus Es
It was cheapened when Gore won it, now it is completely worthless.
Naw, the Nobel was worthless when a war criminal like Kissinger won it in '73.

I guess you just have to follow an administration like Bush's and not invade any countries for the first 9 months and your a freakin' hero or something. :shrug:

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Perhaps it was a compensation prize for his failure before the International Olympic Committee...

Seriously, the peace prize has a checkered history. After Kissinger you'd think they'd be more patient and not rush to conclusions.

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
OSLO, NORWAY (The Borowitz Report) - As the world responded with a mixture of surprise and amazement to the announcement of President Obama's Nobel Peace Prize, Nobel insiders revealed that the President's "beer summit" at the White House put him over the top.
"The committee was definitely split down the middle right up until the end," said Agot Valle, a Norwegian politician and member of the five-person Nobel committee. "Some of them were still quite upset about that nasty business with the Somali pirates."
But, according to Ms. Valle, "someone brought up the beer summit, and we all agreed that that was awesome."
Ms. Valle said she hoped that Mr. Obama's victory would be seen not only as a victory for him, but "as a tribute to the healing power of beer."
Ms. Valle acknowledged that the President's win was widely considered an upset, with most pundits having expected the prize to go to Mad Men or 30 Rock.

Zephyr

Moved on
If Obama has any respect for the award he'll decline it like Le Duc Tho. He has done nothing to deserve even a nomination. Besides, wasn't the nomination deadline something like February? Did somebody seriously nominate Obama less than a month into his presidency?

I guess to win it you just had to be a president who wasn't named "Bush".