• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Obama supports same-sex marriage

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
Log Cabin Republicans underwhelmed by Obama
The executive director of the Log Cabin Republicans, R. Clarke Cooper, chastised Obama for not making his views clear before North Carolina voters approved an amendment to the state Constitution banning gay marriage on Tuesday.
"That the president has chosen today, when LGBT Americans are mourning the passage of Amendment One, to finally speak up for marriage equality is offensive and callous," Cooper said in a statement, adding, "This administration has manipulated LGBT families for political gain as much as anybody, and after his campaign's ridiculous contortions to deny support for marriage equality this week he does not deserve praise for an announcement that comes a day late and a dollar short."

Better late than never, I guess. I'm under-impressed, but I'm very used to that gut reaction when contemplating Obama's political moves - or lack thereof. He reminds me of one of these when it comes to true political action or a defined opinion:

2-toed-sloth-1102.bg.jpg

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
I'm not sure those LGBT votes are as secure as you suggest. I've heard grumblings from a number of people who are very disappointed about his inaction on (and sometimes outright opposition toward) LGBT rights issues. These people would probably never vote Republican, but some of them could be disillusioned enough to just not vote. I think he's trying to give these people a reason to give a damn again.

These issues aren't going away no matter who is in power. The political spectrum is shifting more and more every year that either side will take the weakest candidate of their party before they ever jump ship to the other side or not vote. I just think the issues that are being discussed are too charged for either side to be disillusioned to the point of not voting.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
I'm not sure those LGBT votes are as secure as you suggest. I've heard grumblings from a number of people who are very disappointed about his inaction on (and sometimes outright opposition toward) LGBT rights issues. These people would probably never vote Republican, but some of them could be disillusioned enough to just not vote. I think he's trying to give these people a reason to give a damn again.
Yeah. It's not working, at least on me.

These issues aren't going away no matter who is in power. The political spectrum is shifting more and more every year that either side will take the weakest candidate of their party before they ever jump ship to the other side or not vote. I just think the issues that are being discussed are too charged for either side to be disillusioned to the point of not voting.
Oh, don't get me wrong - I'm still casting a bollot for Obama, though I'll have to hold my nose. But it's only because I was raised with an Enlightenment ethos of civic duty. The obligation to vote is near sacred to me. If it weren't, I'd just bow out.