• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nudity and/or Sexualized Nudity - Dangerous? Immoral? Taboo?

Should people worry about seeing nudity?

• No, not at all, and violence is worse.

Votes: 18 78.3%
  • No, not at all, but violence isn't worse (or is better)

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • Yes, but violence is still worse.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, and violence isn't worse (or is better).

Votes: 2 8.7%

• Total voters

Alceste

Vagabond
I apologize that it is too long for you. If it helps, the first post is just a lot of information that helps my argument, the second one is the real question.

You don't HAVE to read all of it. It helps a bit, but you don't absolutely have to. Here are a couple excerpts that should shorten it to a more manageable size for you:

Official TL;DR post:

I hope that helps, I know it's long for some people, and I'm sorry about that.

Your tl:dr was tl for me, but I voted. I don't need to read a lengthy argument as to why violence is more socially destructive than nudity, since to me that is self evident.

CynthiaCypher

You're missing the point.

Boy do you like to meander. Do I think people should be ashamed of their bodies? Yes, I think some people should be ashamed and just keep it to themselves. None of us want to see your junk, ok? Now if you were Chris Hemsworth or Jessica Alba, I wouldn't mind it at all, but you are not Chris Hemsworth or Jessica Alba. So for the love of God and all humanity, please keep it to yourself.

Alceste

Vagabond
Lol, yeah, I guess I get it, in that regard, I just don't understand why someone would allow their socialization to dictate their moral/ethical (amongst other types of) beliefs so strongly. Well, I guess I can even understand that a bit. I suppose you'd have had to have explored and experienced what I've explored and experienced to come to the same conclusions. That's why I can't judge others for such things.

And lol, my grandparents are Catholic, and you damn well won't see them at Rio Carnival. :p

EDIT: I'm glad I live in Canada, then, at any rate.
Iqaluit? Holy smokes, I hope nobody is running around naked up there!

What's it like?

Alceste

Vagabond
Boy do you like to meander. Do I think people should be ashamed of their bodies? Yes, I think some people should be ashamed and just keep it to themselves. None of us want to see your junk, ok? Now if you were Chris Hemsworth or Jessica Alba, I wouldn't mind it at all, but you are not Chris Hemsworth or Jessica Alba. So for the love of God and all humanity, please keep it to yourself.

What does this bizarre, phobic rant about Druidus' penis have to do with the subject of the op, which asks why we are more tolerant of violence than nudity in the media?

CynthiaCypher

What does this bizarre, phobic rant about Druidus' penis have to do with the subject of the op, which asks why we are more tolerant of violence than nudity in the media?

Get the **** off my back please. If you read his post he asked what we rather show kids in real life not just on a screen. If you read the whole meandering rant you would have saw that.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
There have only been a handful of scientific studies on the effects of nudity on children. So far as I know, all of the studies found no harm came about due to a child's exposure to nudity, and some of the studies found such exposure beneficial.

For instance, the first long-term longitudinal study found, "nudity to be associated with beneficial outcomes, including increased self-esteem, sexual knowledge, and comfort with physical contact and affection. Exposure to nudity in the home was also associated with lower rates of theft and drug use in adolescence as well as improved relations with adults outside of the family." And other studies have arrived at similar conclusions.

In contrast, there have been numerous studies of the effects of watching violence on TV and in films on children. These studies have generally found a relationship between TV violence and aggression in children to be clearly demonstrated.

Alceste

Vagabond
Get the **** off my back please. If you read his post he asked what we rather show kids in real life not just on a screen. If you read the whole meandering rant you would have saw that.

OK, but how does even a general discussion of nudity in public lead to a full on panic attack about the prospect of anyone getting a passing glance at Druidus' penis, specifically?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
OK, but how does even a general discussion of nudity in public lead to a full on panic attack about the prospect of anyone getting a passing glance at Druidus' penis, specifically?

Obviously, Druidus' penis is an object of profound interest in the continuing investigation into societal decadence.

Alceste

Vagabond
Obviously, Druidus' penis is an object of profound interest in the continuing investigation into societal decadence.

Damn, sounds fascinating. Now I feel obligated to take a look at it myself, for science. Just need a few days to arrange a house full of children who can tell me what they think of it....

CynthiaCypher

I do not want my kids to see strange people walking around nude. And only the most perverse minds would think that any good could come out of it since we live in a society that sexualizes children at a very young age. Kids are taught by the media to think sexy, dress sexy and act sexy. Only the perverse would want to create a more sexualized atmosphere for children. Letting people be exhibitionists wherever they want is not in the best interest of children, especially in this society.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Interesting article.

From the Article said:
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]There is no evidence that children are harmed by nonsexualized social nudity, and there is good reason to believe they are benefited by it. Proposals for laws banning to children the innocent experience of being human, appearing human, and seeing others as such are unwarranted, unfounded, and have no scholarly basis.

[/FONT]

kashmir

I do not want my kids to see strange people walking around nude. And only the most perverse minds would think that any good could come out of it since we live in a society that sexualizes children at a very young age. Kids are taught by the media to think sexy, dress sexy and act sexy. Only the perverse would want to create a more sexualized atmosphere for children. Letting people be exhibitionists wherever they want is not in the best interest of children, especially in this society.

In USA, we sexualize everything, even today's cartoons.

Look at preteen pageants, that stuff is disturbing.
There is nothing positive that comes from it, oh yah $$$ and mom gets to relive her childhood through her kid.
There also is zero need for child models what so ever.

Then we wonder why kids go missing everyday and are found raped and dead.
well, heres your sign world, you treat kids like sex objects and put them on tv, sickos will see them as sex objects...
wtf :shrug:

Alceste

Vagabond

So you can't personally conceive of a human body with no clothes on in a non-sexual way. That is no reason the rest of society should adapt to your unusually extreme sexual reaction to seeing others without clothes.

Most people can easily view naked people doing ordinary things without having any sexual feelings stirred up whatsoever. For example, I've never spotted an erection on a nude beach, and I've been to a few. It's exactly like a swim suit beach, but without the swim suits.

In fact, I'd even argue that many swim suit wearers are sexualizing themselves MORE than your average naked person on a beach, due to the garish patches over their "naughty bits" that draw the eye straight to them.

kashmir

In fact, I'd even argue that many swim suit wearers are sexualizing themselves MORE than your average naked person on a beach, due to the garish patches over their "naughty bits" that draw the eye straight to them.

That doesn't even make sense.

about the rest, if we lived in a world where sex isnt treated like it is and nudity was natural, then you have a point, but we dont so CC has a right to not wish to expose her kids to that.
who is anyone to tell anyone else how to raise their kids anyway? :shrug:

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Nudity in and of itself is not sexual. Lots of earlier societies lived in the nude, and they weren't having sex any more than any other society. I remember reading about some sculpter on the other hand whose specialty was nudes. Someone asked him if he ever got aroused. His answer was, 'only when I try to put clothes ON them."

Violence, on the other hand, is an entirely different problem.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
So you can't personally conceive of a human body with no clothes on in a non-sexual way. That is no reason the rest of society should adapt to your unusually extreme sexual reaction to seeing others without clothes.

I think a lot of people sexualize nudity in their heads and then assume nudity is inherently sexual.

Most people can easily view naked people doing ordinary things without having any sexual feelings stirred up whatsoever. For example, I've never spotted an erection on a nude beach, and I've been to a few.

That's been my experience with nude resorts, too.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
In India there used to be no such thing as a sari top... and then the Europeans came
In North America, many native tribes spent tons of time in the nude .... and then the Europeans came
In Hawaii, Tahiti, and most of Polynesia, the people wore no clothes ... and then the Europeans came ...

Anybody see a pattern?

kashmir

In India there used to be no such thing as a sari top... and then the Europeans came
In North America, many native tribes spent tons of time in the nude .... and then the Europeans came
In Hawaii, Tahiti, and most of Polynesia, the people wore no clothes ... and then the Europeans came ...

Anybody see a pattern?
Yes, the pattern is obvious....

my dumb humor...
I have to be that guy: "he said Europeans came" :eek:

Brickjectivity

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Opening post said:
Nudity and/or Sexualized Nudity - Dangerous? Immoral? Taboo?
I take the view that clothing is important most of the time, not that nudity is dangerous all of the time. I think nudity is not good sometimes. Its better to be clothed than ashamed. I also think clothes help us to give ourselves personal space in a world with increasing populations, and clothes help us to be more independent.

Someone asked if nudity was worse than violence. I think that violence on TV is usually less harmful than the act of letting yourself be entertained in a zombie-like state, ignoring your kids, ignoring your friends, ignoring responsibilities or just ignoring all of the awesome things you could be doing instead.