• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nothingness

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
Let's say that you found out that, for sure, there was no afterlife. When you died, you ceased to exist forever. Would that prospect bother you? Would you live your life any different (if you currently believe in an afterlife)?

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
I'd be bummed. I was really hoping I'd wind up in Middle Earth next time.

After I got over it I think I'd be a little relieved; it would take some of the pressure off.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Let's say that you found out that, for sure, there was no afterlife. When you died, you ceased to exist forever.
I have trouble comprehending it, but ok.

Would that prospect bother you?
It would require serious re-tooling of my theology, but it wouldn't upset me. I'm not frightened by the prospect, it just doesn't make sense or jibe with my personal experiences.

However, I already believe that what survives death will not be ME. What I know as my self is a finite interaction between eternal componants.

Would you live your life any different (if you currently believe in an afterlife)?
Nope.

Runewolf1973

Materialism/Animism
How is it possible to not have an afterlife? At least in some form? To me, life IS energy. Our energy goes somewhere, it cannot be destroyed. That is a scientific fact. It is more just a matter as to what we as energy forms change into when the physical body ceases to sustain our "consciousness". But that does not matter to me because all energy has that consciousness or the ability to act and react. Even if my physical body turned to dust, it would still have the ability to change form and probably turn into new life. Would it be so terrible to experience new life as a tree or plant, or an insect even? I don't think so, it would just be different. As long as something has the ability to act and react and change form, it is "animate" and has the ability to change and potentially become a life-form again. There is no such thing as true "death". All things change form, and so will we. What I change into matters not to me. I am just happy that I exist NOW, for that means that in some way shape or form, I will exist forever. It is impossible for anything that is an energy form to "cease to exist". But that's my opinion.

Last edited:

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
How is it possible to not have an afterlife? At least in some form? To me, life IS energy. Our energy goes somewhere, it cannot be destroyed. That is a scientific fact.

This is correct. After we die, we continue to radiate heat until temperature equilibrium is reached with our environment. Additionally, energy stored in the organic matter which our bodies is composed of is consumed by bacteria and microbes. So yes, energy cannot be destroyed, but all of our energy is accounted for through physical explanations.

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
Let's say that you found out that, for sure, there was no afterlife. When you died, you ceased to exist forever. Would that prospect bother you? Would you live your life any different (if you currently believe in an afterlife)?

I would be depressed..In fact I would wonder why we would keep having children..If its only "survival" of our species to survive only on earth while we are here I would think it cruel to do that to another..We have no purpose if tis only here..But to make more people.to simply be here and then die and disapear.

We woud be reduced to a biological "organism" with no other function than to exist here.For what purpose?Hopefully to make it easier for the other biologicals?And reproduce more flesh of human?

I see no reason for us to exist ..if we are just pieces of flesh that begin to die once we are born and once we die we are food for worms and ants.(and bacteria).

If that is what we are here for..We are all technically insane..and in fact cruel..For having children that know..they are nothing but a piece of flesh that ultimately has the final end of being nothing but bacteria food.And for them to have more humans that will end the same way.

Having said that..If thats the case..once you are dead you really wouldnt care now would you?

Love

Dallas

Last edited:

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
OH..and if this was true? and people knew it when they had me..Yes it would change how I lived..I would hate my own parents.And never have a child of my own.

Love

Dallas

Runewolf1973

Materialism/Animism
This is correct. After we die, we continue to radiate heat until temperature equilibrium is reached with our environment. Additionally, energy stored in the organic matter which our bodies is composed of is consumed by bacteria and microbes. So yes, energy cannot be destroyed, but all of our energy is accounted for through physical explanations.

Yes, absolutely! All energy is accounted for and goes somewhere, naturally. There is no "supernatural". There may be such thing as "spirits", or "ghosts", which I do believe to be naturally existing energy forms, but I can not prove it to you that they exist. Only my own personal experiences tell me that they do exist.:shrug: All I can say is that there is an underlying truth on the matter... either they exist or they do not. However, if by chance it is the case that what we call "spirits" or our consciousness actually does exist after physical "death", then whatever that energy is that causes that is a naturally existing energy, not "supernatural". It is just something that is beyond our explanation. I do not believe in anything "supernatural". I just believe that the energy that is our "consciousness" is not destroyed, it just changes form. But who's to say what it changes into? Ultimately, we'll all find out in the end.

Last edited:

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
But who's to say what it changes into? Ultimately, we'll all find out in the end.

Well..someone told me one time I was going to be in a "light bulb".(since I was energy).

So who knows..

Love

Dallas

Runewolf1973

Materialism/Animism
We woud be reduced to a biological "organism" with no other function than to exist here.For what purpose?Hopefully to make it easier for the other biologicals?And reproduce more flesh of human?

I see no reason for us to exist ..if we are just pieces of flesh that begin to die once we are born and once we die we are food for worms and ants.(and bacteria).

Dallas

But then are you saying that everything else that would be considered "God's" creations are useless and not necessary to exist and do not serve a worthy purpose? The only thing worthy to exist as is as a human? What makes humans so great?:shrug:We are biological organisms are we not? Perhaps that is our only purpose...to exist.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

You know, you should have addressed all that during the time before you were conceived and born. :baby: You forgot didn't you? :D

Life is death, death is life. See it happening all the time, so naw, no bothering at all from this wayfarer...... save perhaps the mystery factor a bit. Hmmm ;)

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Would you live your life any different (if you currently believe in an afterlife)?

This is a really hard question to answer; I'm guessing that with most people who believe in an afterlife, that belief is so fundamental to and interwoven with the way they approach reality that it would be pretty close to impossible to predict what kind of effect the sudden abandonment of that belief would have on their behavior.
progress.gif

Runewolf1973

Materialism/Animism
Well..someone told me one time I was going to be in a "light bulb".(since I was energy).

So who knows..

Love

Dallas

We are all "light energy". All is "enlightened". It is the first thing the God of the bible apparently created. Nothing wrong with being a light bulb. It would be worse to not exist at all in ANY form, would it not? Light serves a great purpose. Existence IS purpose. But that's my opinion.

Last edited:

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
But then are you saying that everything else that would be considered "God's" creations are useless and not necessary to exist and do not serve a worthy purpose? The only thing worthy to exist as is as a human? What makes humans so great?:shrug:We are biological organisms are we not? Perhaps that is our only purpose...to exist.

I never said humans were worthy to exist..Im saying stop having children..a roach or a bacteria can do that.They are of low intelligence..And no..most creatures have no "worthy" purpose other than they are born..and strive to reproduce..they are at least(many of them) part of the eco sytem..Humans arent..Humans destroy the system.

I wouldnt have children if their only job was to exist to make more humans.We are smarter than that..

Love

DAllas

Charity

Let's go racing boys !
No it wouldn't change for me. I plan on living my life to the point where I would be covered no matter how it goes.....