• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Not working on Passover and working out

Shermana

Heretic
Another subject I'm having difficulty finding much on is whether exercise and physical exertion is allowed on Passover.

My general interpretation of Sabbath involves not exercising and putting stress on the body, and I've read others who agree with this position, but does this also apply to Passover? Am I to go the first two and last two days without exercise? Also, do the usual Rabbinic prohibitions on what constitutes work like cutting and writing apply? Is it basically considered the same prohibitions as any other Sabbath? That's what I imagine, but just asking.

Last edited:

Rakhel

this is what I could find on a quick search
6. Drink lots of water and schedule lots of exercise.
Passover: How to Eat Healthy During Seder, Passover | genConnect
Not sure if this means you can exercise during Pesach or not, but I'm sure you can't the first two days, if not in Israel
In addition to the special dietary laws described above, work is prohibited on the first two and last two days of Passover (first and last day in Israel and Reform Judaism). Pesach: Passover - ReligionFacts
I don't know if the 39(?) restrictions apply and probably won't find out until after tomorrow(lots of cooking to do, hehe).

dantech

I don't know if the 39(?) restrictions apply and probably won't find out until after tomorrow(lots of cooking to do, hehe).

The law says that the 39 restrictions of Shabbat apply to Yom Tov as well, with the exception of a few.

So if it’s off-limits on Shabbat, it’s most likely off-limits on Yom Tov. That includes switching on or off electrical appliances, driving a car, going to work, handling money and writing. The major differences between the two are cooking and baking, lighting a fire from a pre-existing flame, and carrying in the public domain. All these are permitted on Yom Tov, albeit with certain restrictions.

So when it comes to exercising, we have two opinions. Rambam says that all exercise that results in sweating is forbidden. Rashi forbids any heavy exercise.
This means that everyone agrees that light exercise that won't result in sweat is permitted. However, the other scenarios are all forbidden from at least one opinion.

The Shulchan Arukh (Orach Chaim 327:2) rules like Rashi but later (328:42) rules like the Rambam. In other words, we must be strict like both opinions.

Now, what's important to know is that in the passed, running and other physical activity was considered medicine. It is considered medicine because it caused sweat, which was a healthy solution to many sicknesses. However, it is forbidden to take medicine on Shabbat (if you aren't sick), so this fell under that category.

However, what if you were simply a person who loved running, and didn't do it for the health reasons. If you truly enjoy running/jogging and truly don't do it because of the health reasons, then it would be considered permitted BUT you still can't sweat from it, because it would then be considered heavy exercise.

Here is what R. Gersion Appel writes in The Concise Code of Jewish Law (vol. 2, p. 351, n. 3):
One is permitted to go walking, but not running or jogging. Youths who enjoy jumping and running may do so on the Sabbath, as this is their enjoyment. One is not permitted to do exercises on the Sabbath that involve physical exertion and are intended to work up a sweat and tire oneself. Some permit one to follow a daily routine of calisthenics intended to maintain physical fitness. One may do breathing exercises to correct an impairment. One may use a small, hand exerciser to strengthen the hand and the fingers.

Levite

Higher and Higher
Another subject I'm having difficulty finding much on is whether exercise and physical exertion is allowed on Passover.

My general interpretation of Sabbath involves not exercising and putting stress on the body, and I've read others who agree with this position, but does this also apply to Passover? Am I to go the first two and last two days without exercise? Also, do the usual Rabbinic prohibitions on what constitutes work like cutting and writing apply? Is it basically considered the same prohibitions as any other Sabbath? That's what I imagine, but just asking.

As dantech referred to, there are numerous opinions concerning exercise. As dan covered the current Orthodox take, I will say that while a few Conservative authorities simply follow the current Orthodox reasoning, others have ruled that exercise that does not directly involve something prohibited on Shabbat (recalling that Conservative Jews do not consider electricity "fire," and will use it on Shabbat and festivals) may be done on either, provided that the exercise routine is something one habitually does for the sake of one's health, and providing that one does not detest the experience-- ideally one should find pleasure in it, though even if one detests it or finds it painful, one should still do it if instructed by a physician for the sake of one's health.

dantech

As dantech referred to, there are numerous opinions concerning exercise. As dan covered the current Orthodox take, I will say that while a few Conservative authorities simply follow the current Orthodox reasoning, others have ruled that exercise that does not directly involve something prohibited on Shabbat (recalling that Conservative Jews do not consider electricity "fire," and will use it on Shabbat and festivals) may be done on either, provided that the exercise routine is something one habitually does for the sake of one's health, and providing that one does not detest the experience-- ideally one should find pleasure in it, though even if one detests it or finds it painful, one should still do it if instructed by a physician for the sake of one's health.

Just a little side note on the orthodox view.
If a physician instructs you to jog everyday, and you feel that it would be really bad for your health not to do so on any given day, then you can do it as an orthodox as well.

Levite, is there a posek din for conservatives like there is for orthodox Jews?

Last edited: