• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Not slipping into delusion...

Aldrnari

Let me make a counterpoint that slipping into delusion isn't necessarily a bad thing--as long as you are aware of it.

Essentially, EVERYTHING is a delusion to some extent. We don't apprehend the "real world" directly, we perceive it through faulty senses and process it through filters of experience and meaning. Whether you realize it or not, you are choosing what to attend to and thereby creating your own personal delusion all the time--and you can do this either passively or actively. When you do it passively, you are falling victim to the delusion and believing it to be reality. When you do it actively, you are participating in what Carlos Castaneda called "folly"--an intentional acting job that molds your reality.

For instance, when I used to have a job in the traditional sense, I would slip into the delusion that my work was important and that my very being (as well as the well-being of those with whom I worked) was dependent upon me being responsible and doing a Good Job at work. But I knew it was a delusion; when I was NOT at work I did not define myself by my job or by how well I did at it. (And believe me, I did well at it. I have sat with State governors and dined in the Senate dining room with the likes of Bob Dole and John Glenn in recognition of my accomplishments.) I hate public speaking, but I can slip into the delusion that I'm good at it when I need to be. I'm not a "people person," but I can slip into the delusion that I am the life of the party, when it benefits me to do so. I found that these states were qualitatively no different than my "natural" delusions that I hated public speaking and that I was not a people person, and I could move between them as needed.

So go ahead, slip into delusions--but be aware of what you are doing, and aim for the most useful delusion in every situation you encounter. Some of the more extreme delusions (like believing that the Earth is flat) are going to be less useful than others, but if you ever need to move unnoticed among other Flat-Earthers, it may still have its place.

"Not that I am implying that I was in any personal want, for I have learned how to be content (satisfied to the point where I am not disturbed or disquieted) in whatever state I am. I know how to be abased and live humbly in straitened circumstances, and I know also how to enjoy plenty and live in abundance. I have learned in any and all circumstances the secret of facing every situation, whether well-fed or going hungry, having a sufficiency and enough to spare or going without and being in want." --Philippians 4:11-12 (Amplified Bible)

I can see what you say, though to me, that isn't a delusion. Slipping into a state of mind, consciously, relies on and exploits a placebo.

Let's say we have two football players. Both are physically equal. One is mentally in the game, confident, and ready to give it his all; the other is just there. The first one will likely perform better than the second, not because he's deluding himself into thinking he will, but because he has placed himself into an advantageous state of mind. It will keep him focused, it will feed his adrenaline, and it will keep him mentally on his toes.

On the other hand, if the first one thinks he doesn't even need to try because he's the best football player who ever lived because his mom said so... That is delusion. :D

Axe Elf

Prophet
Let's say we have two football players. Both are physically equal. One is mentally in the game, confident, and ready to give it his all; the other is just there. The first one will likely perform better than the second, not because he's deluding himself into thinking he will, but because he has placed himself into an advantageous state of mind. It will keep him focused, it will feed his adrenaline, and it will keep him mentally on his toes.

I would say that both football players are operating within their own delusions; one delusion is just more advantageous than the other. But I understand that people are not accustomed to seeing EVERY state of mind throughout their entire life as a delusion, so this isn't a natural way of thinking about motivation.

Frater Sisyphus

Contradiction, irrationality and disorder
On a slightly different note, creating delusions yourself and being self-aware - then utilizing it to your advantage is a very fascinating psychological concept.
If you have enough control of your delusions, then you can keep yourself enough between the border.

Aldrnari

I would say that both football players are operating within their own delusions; one delusion is just more advantageous than the other. But I understand that people are not accustomed to seeing EVERY state of mind throughout their entire life as a delusion, so this isn't a natural way of thinking about motivation.

Aye... Delusions, at least by the dictionary definition (I know, I know), are beliefs that don't reflect reality (false). To me, that isn't indicative of a state of mind. Putting on one's game face isn't the same thing as believing my body is full of other people's souls that must be cleansed via a 50,000$ course (a la Scientology).

That said, false ideals can change your state of mind, and vice versa, so they can be linked (though they are two separate things, imo). You should look into placebos, if you haven't. It's interesting to read about, and even more interesting (and useful) to experiment with. :)

Aldrnari

On a slightly different note, creating delusions yourself and being self-aware - then utilizing it to your advantage is a very fascinating psychological concept.
If you have enough control of your delusions, then you can keep yourself enough between the border.

Chaos magick in practice, eh? :D

Frater Sisyphus

Contradiction, irrationality and disorder
Chaos magick in practice, eh? :D

Yep, it's a really intriguing concept (and also as someone with a great interest in psychology, and as a practitioner of more traditional magick)

But beyond that, self-delusion in other contexts from careers to fitness to working shift-work to working in customer service. The way we can manipulate our own minds, is so crazy and interesting.

In that particular context, it could be seen akin to method acting, perhaps.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Breathing. I stop for a moment breath, look at a tree, and then laugh. I would say all or virtually all mental disorders are related to a single region of the brain that has self labelled itself "higher functioning". Generally speaking it's this absolutely the most dysfunctional region of the brain. It functions on spectrum.
well done....