• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Normalization of Mental Illness and stigmatization

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
Hello. I want to talk about stigmatization of mental illness, as well as the normalization and society’s acceptance of mental illness.

Most of you have at least a lifetime on me, if not two or three. So I’m curious about your perspectives on this topic. What have you seen through your life on society’s view of mental illness? Did there used to be a generally accepted negative stigma towards mental illness? What progress have you seen throughout your life? Is there more help readily available? Is it more openly talked about?

As someone who suffers from schizoaffective disorder as well as social anxiety disorder, I have a unique perspective on this topic. In my current workplace, I am open with my bosses about my mental health and convey to them my ongoing treatment process and how it affects my ability to work. They are committed to keeping me in the workplace as long as I am able. They work with me extensively to make sure my work needs are met, and accept that I am now a much slower worker due to my medication as well as my sobriety.

If I had a negative attitude and didn’t try my best, my bosses wouldn’t work with me I think. But I try to bring nothing but positive vibes to the workplace and try my best, so my bosses say they want to work with me. They said I am “quality over speed”.

Anyways, here in my part of America, I feel like mental illness is viewed in a helpful way. I’m on welfare insurance and the government takes care of me real good. (yea yea I’m supposedly an anarchist so what that’s not the point of the thread)
All of my mental health needs are being met extensively at the clinic I go to. And I don’t pay a penny. Actually, I am planning on going for disability so in a couple years I might be retired, and there are resources for me to do that. That’s a new thing, right?

Alright I’ve talked enough now it’s your turn :^]

pearl

Hello. I want to talk about stigmatization of mental illness, as well as the normalization and society’s acceptance of mental illness.

I think society has a long way to go before it really gains acceptance in the national conversation.
Unfortunately, so many violent crimes committed by people who suffered mental anguish were ignored, made excuses for, or otherwise simply hoped the problem would resolve itself, mostly due to a stigma on the family of those who suffer alone. Instead of treating the problem those close to the person who needs professional help simply pacify them as long as it works for them.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I've done a number of mental health trainings as part of the work I do, in addition to having other exposure to the topic through professional and expert sources. The main comparison I see mentioned is to understand mental health is in most respects no different from physical health, but culturally we often fail to acknowledge this. What is meant by this comparison?

Mental health, like physical health, is a spectrum of statuses. Everyone has physical health, and everyone has mental health. At any given moment, it is in some particular condition. And mental health, like physical health, goes through periods where it's well-functioning and poor-functioning. Just as we consider this normal for physical health, it is equally normal for mental health. Just like physical health, mental health can involve both chronic and acute conditions, which are treated and managed differently from one another. Just like physical health, mental health is aided by preventative care and mindfulness over simply reacting to crises or only responding once something becomes a problem. The comparisons don't end here, but this probably serves to get the idea.

One of the reasons why Western culture has had a problem recognizing and taking mental health seriously is because toxic gender norms/culture. It created a myopic view of this topic that led to a failure to both address it and take it seriously as a dimension of human experience and wellness. The gender that is "supposed to" not be emotional still doesn't address mental health care needs as regularly as it should, but it is getting better as toxic ideas are replaced with something humanizing. Hopefully we will get to an era where just as people have a primary care physician they see for annual physicals, there will be a primary care counselor they see for annual mentals too.