• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Non-literal Genesis Evidences

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Please reveal that which in Genesis, you believe is non-literal?
This thread is for listing and discussing all those many things in Genesis which hint that it should not be taken literally by most people. I am not interested in a debate about Evolution vs. Creation. Anyone is welcome to make suggestions or objections, so I am putting this into the Biblical Debates zone...
The word Genesis is old English or Latin which translates to Beginning in our language, so it is the beginning of something. What sort of beginning do you suppose Moses and Ezra would be concerned with -- the beginning of spiritual life or the beginning of mortal life? Its in the Bible, a library of books that are concerned with Israel and for training young men to live peacefully and thoughtfully. Genesis repeatedly describes the violent world as unacceptable, speaks to that place in men that abhors rapes and murders and separates light from the darkness to create a living place. Genesis describes the creation of Torah within the young man.

The Anointed

The word Genesis is old English or Latin which translates to Beginning in our language, so it is the beginning of something. What sort of beginning do you suppose Moses and Ezra would be concerned with -- the beginning of spiritual life or the beginning of mortal life? Its in the Bible, a library of books that are concerned with Israel and for training young men to live peacefully and thoughtfully. Genesis repeatedly describes the violent world as unacceptable, speaks to that place in men that abhors rapes and murders and separates light from the darkness to create a living place. Genesis describes the creation of Torah within the young man.

Brickjectivity wrote...…. The word Genesis is old English or Latin which translates to Beginning in our language, so it is the beginning of something.

The Anointed...…. And that something was this universe and all that exists herein. Do you believe that God literally created this universe? Do you believe that God created mankind, and chastised his son ADAM/Mankind, every time he went wrong. [Luke 3: 38; Adam the son of God.]?

Those who do not want their partners or daughters raped, abhor the thought of rape, those who do not want themselves or their loved ones to be murdered, abhor the thought of Murder, those who do not want others to steal from them or those close to them, abhor the thieves of this world. And those who break the very laws that they impose of the society around themselves, are their own Judge and have condemned themselves.

Do you believe that God literally gave his laws to Moses? Again I ask you, what in the book of Genesis is not to be taken literally?

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
The Anointed...…. And that something was this universe and all that exists herein.
Wishful thinking . It ignores any useful purpose for the text and forces it to be mostly useless. You would have me researching pictures of gopherwood instead of doing useful things.

Do you believe that God literally created this universe?
I am no idolater, if thats what you mean, so no. Do you believe in time and chance, because the biblical authors do. When it comes to me and you and the church then yes. That universe God does create, but the planets and stars are nothing and will return to nothing.

Those who do not want their partners or daughters raped, abhor the thought of rape, those who do not want themselves or their loved ones to be murdered, abhor the thought of Murder, those who do not want others to steal from them or those close to them, abhor the thieves of this world. And those who break the very laws that they impose of the society around themselves, are their own Judge and have condemned themselves.
Those statements ignore written history and also Jesus own words that evil proceeds from the heart. A good man does evil and may hide it even from himself lying to himself, sometimes. That is human nature. There are plenty of examples. The one who hates rape, from the same place that he hates rape from there also desires it yet does not know what he is doing. He must practice doing good and learn to do it, and he must stay busy doing good. The desire for evil will always be there in the same part of him that protects his family. Therefore discipline is admirable.

Do you believe that God literally gave his laws to Moses? Again I ask you, what in the book of Genesis is not to be taken literally?
Do you believe you are owed an explanation for what is in this stolen book? I do not think anyone can demand that. What we do know is that its written to Jews, the people that Christians governments persecuted for many centuries.

The Anointed

Brickjectivity said...…. The word Genesis is old English or Latin which translates to Beginning in our language, so it is the beginning of something.

The Anointed said...…. And that something was this universe and all that exists herein.

Brichjectivity responded....... Wishful thinking . It ignores any useful purpose for the text and forces it to be mostly useless. You would have me researching pictures of gopherwood instead of doing useful things.

The Anointed...….. So you believe the fact that God created the universe and all herein as recorded in Genesis, is no more than wishful thinking.

And why would I have you researching Gopher=Kopherwood, which is any timber coated with bitumen, the Hebrew G and K are very similar, it is easy to understand how Kopherwood could be erroneously translated as Gopherwood.

The Anointed said...…. Do you believe that God literally created this universe?

Brichjectivity responded....... I am no idolater, if thats what you mean, so no. Do you believe in time and chance, because the biblical authors do. When it comes to me and you and the church then yes. That universe God does create, but the planets and stars are nothing and will return to nothing.

The Anointed...….. I was in no way suggesting that you were an idolater, and I don't know what make you think that I was. I simply asked you the question if you believed that God literally created this universe. You have responded by stating that yourself and all the millions of Christians around the world who hold the words of the bible to be the truth accept that God created this universe.

Why you say that the planets and stars are nothing and will return to nothing, is beyond me. The Planets and stars that make up this universe were created from the eternal energy that has neither beginning or end, which energy was spewed out in the trillions of degrees in the event called the Big Bang, and will be returned to that eternal energy in the Big Crunch. For God is already calling all creation back to himself after which, he will create for us a New Heavens and a New Earth, in other words, a New Universe.

The Jews are but one tribe of Israel who is the son of Isaac, the son of Abraham whose descendants today are as many as the grains of the sand or the stars in heaven, and it was for the children of Abraham that the words of the Lord were given.