• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Non Catholics and patron saints

Can a non Catholic have a patron saint?

• Yes

Votes: 4 80.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters
Today as I was in the car with my grandmother, I asked her what Joan of Arc was the patron saint of, and in my quick google search, I found that her feast day falls right on my birthday and my grandmother told me that was a sign that she was my patron saint. This actually had me feeling very excited because Joan of Arc is actually one of my most favorite historical figures and it would be kind of neat to know that she would be watching over me or guiding me in some way.

But here's the catch: I'm not Catholic. I'm not entirely sure where I fall religiously and I'm still figuring it out, but I don't think I could be Catholic for a number of reasons. But I'd still like to keep Joan as a patron saint of mine. Is that weird? For a non Catholic to have a patron saint?

Shiranui117

Pronounced Shee-ra-noo-ee
Premium Member
Today as I was in the car with my grandmother, I asked her what Joan of Arc was the patron saint of, and in my quick google search, I found that her feast day falls right on my birthday and my grandmother told me that was a sign that she was my patron saint. This actually had me feeling very excited because Joan of Arc is actually one of my most favorite historical figures and it would be kind of neat to know that she would be watching over me or guiding me in some way.

But here's the catch: I'm not Catholic. I'm not entirely sure where I fall religiously and I'm still figuring it out, but I don't think I could be Catholic for a number of reasons. But I'd still like to keep Joan as a patron saint of mine. Is that weird? For a non Catholic to have a patron saint?
Nope! Orthodox and Anglicans have patron saints too.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

You can respect her Joan just as you do Jesus. A patron saint is termed for those Catholics confirmed in the Church. We pick our patron saint to guide us in our faith.

The only challenging thing I see is Joan was christian. I dont know how jesus plays a role in your faith but if he does, I dont see how joan cant. If he doesnt, since blessings come from christ in christianity, how would you connect to her in a way she understands you as a muslim?

Also, do Muslims believe in saints? And do they believe people die or live forever (no dead) to communicate with us?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member

It's no weirder than for someone who doesn't practice a North American indigenous religion to have a "spirit animal" or for a school to have a mascot, IMO.

Shiranui117

Premium Member
Buddhist believe in people that would be defined as a saint. Anyone can believe in a saint. Only confirming catholics (and like denomni) have patron ones.
True. I thought the thread was referring specifically to Christian Saints, so that's the angle that I went with.

Sundance

pursuing the Divine Beloved
Premium Member

That does sound kinda wonky to me. If you don't identify as Roman Catholic, of what use would Catholic saints be to you?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
True. I thought the thread was referring specifically to Christian Saints, so that's the angle that I went with.

Since the OP is Muslim, I'd assume he couldn't take up any christian patron saint. Though, I don't know any patron saints outside of liturgical denominations. However, just saints in general, I don't see a problem with that. Why did you say "nope"?

Shiranui117

Premium Member
Since the OP is Muslim, I'd assume he couldn't take up any christian patron saint. Though, I don't know any patron saints outside of liturgical denominations. However, just saints in general, I don't see a problem with that. Why did you say "nope"?
I said "Nope" as in "Nope, it's not weird for a non-Catholic to have a patron saint"

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I said "Nope" as in "Nope, it's not weird for a non-Catholic to have a patron saint"

Crude Muslim comparison to Orthodox and Anglican but true nonetheless. :shrug: A lot of cultural religions believe in the spirits in one way or another. I just see the separation in evangelism and new age christianity. Not many people have a problem with it.

In hindsight, this sounds like a pretty dumb question, especially since under my religion it says that I'm culturally muslim, but I'd like to point out that I'm still a seeker. I like muslim culture, but as for what I believe, I'm still trying to figure that out.