• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Non-Believers: Have you ever had a mystical experience?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
This thread is for non-believers (atheists, agnostics, freethinkers, etc):

Have you ever had a mystical experience?

If so, what do you consider a mystical experience?

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
I think so.

I consider a "mystical experience" to a particular understanding, or more specifically a shift in understanding.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
I would say yes, but I contribute it to psychological phenomenon rather than some external other-worldly force. Unfortunately it would be extremely hard for me to describe in words.

yossarian22

Resident Schizophrenic
What do you mean by mystical?
I did have a massive re-understanding a while ago. I guess that could count.

mr.guy

crapsack
I ran into a fence once. Don't ask why, but i had a real mind-blowing "tilt" on that occasion.

logician

When I used to run a lot, I hit a "runner's high" a few times, I've never experieced anything else to equal this experience(drugs included).

rhys

This thread is for non-believers (atheists, agnostics, freethinkers, etc):

Have you ever had a mystical experience?

If so, what do you consider a mystical experience?

I'm not sure what you mean by non-believers, since I believe in a great deal but find the God-concept a bit baffling. Yes, I have, and what I mean by it is something that changes your stance towards your experience of things in general, and to other people in particular.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
I can't say that I have. I see a mystical experience as some kind of ultimate epiphany. I equate it with some sort of higher being. The only epiphany I've had was to realize that mystical things don't exist to me.

rhys

Is the only difference between "a mystical experience" and "thinking" the degree to which it affects the thinker?

Nobody can experience other people's internal life. In my case the effects were, subjectively, of a completely different kind, not a matter of degree at all - but, obviously they both happened in my own head, at least as far as I was concerned. Since most people tend to deny that they have this kind of experience, it is difficult to discuss.

Fluffy

A fool
Heya rhys,
rhys said:
Nobody can experience other people's internal life. In my case the effects were, subjectively, of a completely different kind, not a matter of degree at all - but, obviously they both happened in my own head, at least as far as I was concerned. Since most people tend to deny that they have this kind of experience, it is difficult to discuss.
Although I realise it could be quite difficult to do so, could you explain in what way the two kinds of experience differed? Or perhaps how you were able to determine them to be distinct?

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
I had an idea this morning. I think the closest I've come to a mystical experience is listening to the fourth movement of Beethoven's 9th symphony. To me that piece feels like somebody showing me true joy in a way that I can feel it too. It's like a revelation. I imagine it to be similar, although not exactly the same, as someone saying they see God. I wouldn't quite call this a mystical experience for me, but I think it's close.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Whether I've had a mystical experience depends on how you define "mystical". If it means feeling awe and wonder when looking up at a clear night sky full of stars, then sure. If it means something like meeting an apparition of Jesus on the road to Damascus, then no.

Actually... there was one experience that might count: I remember one evening lying in my bed, awake with my eyes closed, listening to the Trainspotting soundtrack on my headphones. I got this profound sense that my body had become incredibly large and my arms had become incredibly thin and short, yet they could still stretch across my chest. I then got the sense that I was floating above my body.

But I had donated blood earlier in the day, so I attributed the experience to that.

rhys

Heya rhys,
Although I realise it could be quite difficult to do so, could you explain in what way the two kinds of experience differed? Or perhaps how you were able to determine them to be distinct?

The sense of self disappeared, I think, and everything seemed right. Long time back now.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
The sense of self disappeared, I think, and everything seemed right. Long time back now.

Wow, that really just hit me. I've been talking lately with Willamena and StephenW about the self, and the difference between the inside world, the self, and the outside world, the universe. For some reason this explanation gave me an idea of why maybe it was better that we don't think of them as separate. Thanks.

spiritually inclined

Yes, I have. It was totally unexpected and happened in my room while I quietly pondered my homosexuality. I was confused about whether to believe in a god or gods because I had only recently left an abusive, border-line cult. I addressed my thoughts to whoever was out there listening to me, and I received a response.

My experience has similarities to near-death experiences. I think of it nearly every day, and it often brings me to tears, the way it did when it occurred. I am less concerned with the source or sources of the experience than I am with the truth of it and the powerful, profound effects it has had on me. I accept myself for who I am now, and I know without a doubt that all love is beautiful.

James

whereismynotecard

Treasure Hunter
Mystical experience?? I don't think so... I've been high, and I've been drunk, but I don't think those are very mystical... Though I am not sure exactly what would fall into the category of mystical...