• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Non-Americans with universal healthcare. Do you prefer your system or privatized like the U.S. Why?

Shad

Veteran Member
For the last 30 years in the United States healthcare goes up on average 20%. It doubles every 5 years. It costs about the same as my mortgage. Nothing else goes up 20% per year. My salary hasn't gone up 20% per year. I hate healthcare in the United States more than any other thing in existence. I hate US healthcare more than taxes. Taxes do not go up 20% every year. I hate US healthcare more than the dentist! Well, maybe about the same. BUT I HATE IT.

It goes up as it is not a free market industry. Government can not keep their hands off. One of the last set of cost increases came as a result of Obamacare and Medicare only paying 70 to 88 cents per 1 dollar of cost.

Shad

Veteran Member
If there’s no brain, what kind of science fiction type treatment is there even available? Were they going to replace it with a computer? Have a brain transplant?

Treatment does not mean a cure.

I know there’s been a couple of examples of truly mistifying recoveries in extreme circumstances. But if a doctor told me a loved one had no brain and said pull the plug, I’d consider that a pretty reasonable course of action.

That is you. However what if you disagreed? Consider that.

The parents right stops at the child’s wellbeing. Well ideally anyway.

So death is better for the child's well being?

Uh, doesn’t America spend more on healthcare than literally the rest of the Western world?

No the public system does not spend as much as other nations combined. Also costs are high as there is no free market industry.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Did you not notice that it is the conservatives that cannot get the job done? They do not want to face up to the economic realities that they probably will have to raise taxes. Finland has an aging population. Populations cannot continually grow and when they stabilize old systems that were based upon population growth will fail. Much like our own Social Security System. Sooner or later taxes have to go up or benefits have to be cut. Rather than doing what had to be done the conservatives are running away.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Treatment does not mean a cure.
Indeed.

That is you. However what if you disagreed? Consider that.
That’s fine. What are your medical qualifications, if I may ask?
I have none, therefore I rely on the medical expert to help me figure out what course of medical treatment is best. I might get a second or third opinion, sure. But I’m still relying on medical expertise and not emotional randos, like myself.

So death is better for the child's well being?
Sometimes it is. Sometimes the pain is simply not worth keeping a child alive. Sometimes being a vegetable is nothing but a waste. Sometimes a trained doctor, Le gasp, might actually be right in their medical recommendations. Odd, I know. But it’s been known to happen on occasion.

No the public system does not spend as much as other nations combined. Also costs are high as there is no free market industry.
Maybe I’m just thinking of the insurance companies.

dfnj

It goes up as it is not a free market industry. Government can not keep their hands off. One of the last set of cost increases came as a result of Obamacare and Medicare only paying 70 to 88 cents per 1 dollar of cost.

You are right and wrong at the same time. Yes, government can't keep its hands off because corporations ARE the government. We do have communism in this country it's just that it's not the kind of communism that is in the worker's favor. The lobbyist entice the politicians to pass laws creating cartels and monopolies in exchange for campaign financing. The billionaires control the lobbyists. We do have a one-party central government. What we have is corporate communism.

The thing is, government, which you criticize, is the only answer. The words of FDR in a speech after the Great Depression are MORE true today than in 1936 when he spoke them:

"An old English judge once said: 'Necessitous men are not free men.' Liberty requires opportunity to make a living - a living decent according to the standard of the time, a living which gives man not only enough to live by, but something to live for.

For too many of us the political equality we once had won was meaningless in the face of economic inequality. A small group had concentrated into their own hands an almost complete control over other people's property, other people's money, other people's labor - other people's lives. For too many of us life was no longer free; liberty no longer real; men could no longer follow the pursuit of happiness.

Against economic tyranny such as this, the American citizen could appeal only to the organized power of government."

Unfortunately, the facts have a liberal bias:

Quandl

The numbers don't lie. The American worker making the median wage is screwed. Corporate communism RULES this country.

There is a reason. There is a reason. There is a reason:

The rich politicians simply do NOT care about you and me. They just don't.

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
Hey if the system is ordering the death of someone I am going to point it out.
Except it never did that, so stop saying it. It's not that childishly simple.

Also are you so quick to call "foul" when someone uses NHS against the US as scoring political points? Hilarious
Our system allowed a child to die because they were in an unrecoverable semi-vegetative state and a number of healthcare professionals deemed further treatment to simply increase the suffering of the child. Your system allows people to die just because they don't have enough money.

And no, that's not hilarious.

Why? I am against court ordered deaths that have nothing to do with a crime. Seems like a good point to talk about.
The fact that you feel no shame in exploiting the tragic death of a child under complicated circumstances to score political points indicates to me that you are no longer worth debating with. You are on ignore.

serp777

Many in the U.S. argue against universal healthcare and how terrible it is, yet I never heard anyone from outside the states voice their disdain for it nor how they held an envious desire for U.S. style healthcare. Someone claimed that this was because you're too oppressed to know better. So what's the case?

Well what level/kind of healthcare are you talking about and who's going to pay for it? I mean you might be happy you have universal healthcare until you realize that 60% of your income is gone to taxes. Healthcare needs to become more efficient before we can consider universal healthcare. The united states just cannot afford it at all right now. We also do have medicaid and medicare to protect the poor and elderly who cannot afford it with basic medical services. And that is ridiculously expensive. In 20 years its projected that healthcare and social security will account for something like more than half the budget.

Yerda

Veteran Member
Well what level/kind of healthcare are you talking about and who's going to pay for it? I mean you might be happy you have universal healthcare until you realize that 60% of your income is gone to taxes. Healthcare needs to become more efficient before we can consider universal healthcare. The united states just cannot afford it at all right now. We also do have medicaid and medicare to protect the poor and elderly who cannot afford it with basic medical services. And that is ridiculously expensive. In 20 years its projected that healthcare and social security will account for something like more than half the budget.
What do you make of the fact that other countries can have universal healthcare at lower expense than the US system?

Shad

Veteran Member
No, rationing is what we did during WW2. The NHS came after.

NHS is rationed as it is tax based thus has a budget. Free market cash flow is not part of the system thus injection of funding bound taxes is not part of the NHS.