• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

no special status for kashmir

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
the supreme court of india upholds indian government's aug. 5, 2019 abrogation of Article 370 of the Constitution which gave special status to jammu and kashmir. the supreme court was hearing 18 petitions against it. the verdict was given unanimously by five senior most judges of the supreme court including the current chief justice and three future chief justices of india.

Last edited:

exchemist

Veteran Member
the supreme court of india upholds indian government's aug. 5, 2019 abrogation of Article 370 of the Constitution which gave special status to jammu and kashmir. the supreme court was hearing 18 petitions against it. the verdict was given unanimously by five senior most judges of the supreme court including the current chief justice and three future chief justices of india.
Another unpleasant development in India's march towards aggressive Hindu nationalism, under Modi.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Another unpleasant development in India's march towards aggressive Hindu nationalism, under Modi.
I am no fan of Modi. But Article 370 had no real legal basis after the constituent assembly dissolved itself in 1950s with the granting of full Indian citizenship to Kashmir's population. The continuation of 370 was a political move and the Indian Central govt always had the unilateral right to abrogate it (it's in the provision of 370 itself). So the SC could have made no other decision.
Article 370 of the Constitution of India - Wikipedia
Ultimately Jammu and Kashmir is like any other state in India and would enjoy the same Center State relationship as any other state. It's not as if there is no insurgency problems in other states....

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
where is the unpleasant development in india's march towards aggresssive hindu nationalism. a temporary statute in the constitution was removed by due process of law with the required majority of votes in the two houses of the parliament and the removal has been validated by five senior most judges of the indian supreme court after hearing 18 opposing petitions. how is hinduism involved in it?the decision has been accepted by the people of kashmir peacefully except by the politicians who prospered by touting against it.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
There was a minor flood in Gujarat. That Hindu nationalism strikes again. Meanwhile, over in Puri, a Muslim man, age 95, passed away at home. His neighbours are asking the police to investigate to see if the cause was poisoning by those darn Hindu radicals, paid to do it by PM Modi.

mangalavara

सो ऽहम्
Premium Member
There was a minor flood in Gujarat. That Hindu nationalism strikes again. Meanwhile, over in Puri, a Muslim man, age 95, passed away at home. His neighbours are asking the police to investigate to see if the cause was poisoning by those darn Hindu radicals, paid to do it by PM Modi.

I’ve noticed creeping global Hindu nationalism where I work. A few weeks ago, some of my Korean students were talking about how Indian cuisine is pretty delicious and colorful. Not a word was said about Islamic dietary law. Modi probably paid their parents to get them to say what they said.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
vinayaka, you should have given links. yes, floods do happen in gujarat, some times even in non-rain months. but how is that connected with the death of an old person in puri, odisha? for the first time, your post is surprising not clear to me.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
vinayaka, you should have given links. yes, floods do happen in gujarat, some times even in non-rain months. but how is that connected with the death of an old person in puri, odisha? for the first time, your post is surprising not clear to me.
I'm being facetious (sarcastic?). The anti Modi crowd blames everything, even the smallest things, on him. It's demonstrative of their lack of intelligence on the matter. There's a standing joke in my country that 'it's Trudeau's fault."

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I’ve noticed creeping global Hindu nationalism where I work. A few weeks ago, some of my Korean students were talking about how Indian cuisine is pretty delicious and colorful. Not a word was said about Islamic dietary law. Modi probably paid their parents to get them to say what they said.
yeah, modi gets blamed for all mishaps in india, but it is modi who always emerges victorious. hardly any one doubts about his winning a third term.
will trudeau get to win a third term (in your opinion)?

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm being facetious (sarcastic?). The anti Modi crowd blames everything, even the smallest things, on him. It's demonstrative of their lack of intelligence on the matter. There's a standing joke in my country that 'it's Trudeau's fault."

Do you see any major issues with Modi's policies or not, setting aside anyone's blaming him for everything?

I realize that this is a tangential question, so I won't build any further responses on it in this thread.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Do you see any major issues with Modi's policies or not, setting aside anyone's blaming him for everything?

I realize that this is a tangential question, so I won't build any further responses on it in this thread.
One has to look at the entire history of Hindus and India interacting with others. For the last 20 centuries or so. India has provided safe haven for anyone on the entire planet. It started with St. Thomas, and more recently the Dalai Llama. It has been a nation of niceness for a very long time. The passivity nearly destroyed India with the Muslim invasions, Goan inquisition, and today's Christian subtle invasion and dilution. Basically, Hindus have been too nice, and been taken advantage of it for centuries. An analogy is the host who doesn't eat so that his guest can. That's just the nature of Hinduism, where guest is God. Since partition, India's Muslim demographic has remained roughly the same while Pakistan's Hindu demographic has shrunk to nearly nothing. It was the only country where minorities had more privileges than the majority.

So Modi and all the people who voted for him have taken a closer look at this, and asked, "Hmmm, maybe there's something wrong with this picture." So this Hindu nationalist thing is more about giving the majority the same rights as everyone else. Not just that, but the economy is thriving. Nor is the situation totally polarized like the current war in the middle east, or in the US, where it's all them or us. Lots of Hindus don't vote for Modi, and lots of Muslims do. Yes, there is a difference in percentages, but it's not like 90/10, more like 70/30. That data is readily available.

If I looked hard, I'm sure I could find issues with some of his policies, but on the whole no, and there are none on the top of my head, as I'm not a student of it.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
One has to look at the entire history of Hindus and India interacting with others. For the last 20 centuries or so. India has provided safe haven for anyone on the entire planet. It started with St. Thomas, and more recently the Dalai Llama. It has been a nation of niceness for a very long time. The passivity nearly destroyed India with the Muslim invasions, Goan inquisition, and today's Christian subtle invasion and dilution. Basically, Hindus have been too nice, and been taken advantage of it for centuries. An analogy is the host who doesn't eat so that his guest can. That's just the nature of Hinduism, where guest is God. Since partition, India's Muslim demographic has remained roughly the same while Pakistan's Hindu demographic has shrunk to nearly nothing. It was the only country where minorities had more privileges than the majority.

So Modi and all the people who voted for him have taken a closer look at this, and asked, "Hmmm, maybe there's something wrong with this picture." So this Hindu nationalist thing is more about giving the majority the same rights as everyone else. Not just that, but the economy is thriving. Nor is the situation totally polarized like the current war in the middle east, or in the US, where it's all them or us. Lots of Hindus don't vote for Modi, and lots of Muslims do. Yes, there is a difference in percentages, but it's not like 90/10, more like 70/30. That data is readily available.

If I looked hard, I'm sure I could find issues with some of his policies, but on the whole no, and there are none on the top of my head, as I'm not a student of it.

Thanks for the detailed answer.

I disagree with multiple points in the above, but exploring this subject will have to be left for another thread.

I hope you're having a nice day!

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
you are welcome. what name should i give to that topic?

It's up to you; it could be any title you see fit. Maybe it could be a general thread about Modi, so the title would be something like, "What do you like or dislike about Modi's policies?"

If you start it, I'll try to respond there as soon as I can. (I usually post from a phone, so I tend to reserve longer posts for when I can access RF from a PC.)

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
yeah, modi gets blamed for all mishaps in india, but it is modi who always emerges victorious. hardly any one doubts about his winning a third term.
will trudeau get to win a third term (in your opinion)?
Trudeau has no chance. He's worn out the welcome mat. His party needs a new leader.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Thanks for the detailed answer.

I disagree with multiple points in the above, but exploring this subject will have to be left for another thread.

I hope you're having a nice day!
One has to remember that most news outside of India has an anti-India bias. Looking at anything from the outside (and that definitely includes me in this case) is always difficult, and it's easy to jump to false conclusions.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Kashmir and Ladakh go to polls along with the whole country in next two months. The government has said that the state elections will be held soon after the national elections. Also that Kashmir will get a full state status within this year (Ladakh too). Furthermore, in future, Army will not be involved in anti-terror operations. State police and other security forces will take over the job. The special powers to detain people also will be removed.