• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"No-Religion" is the opium of the people?

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
paarsurrey said:
"definitive feature all atheists have in common is lack of belief."

And that is also an assertion, if they have it. Don't they assert it, please?
Regards

Uh, I don't think that qualifies. Unless you are asking whether it would not be better for us to lie on this matter?
to assert:

verb
  1. state a fact or belief confidently and forcefully.
    "the company asserts that the cuts will not affect development"
    synonyms: declare, maintain, contend, argue, state, claim, propound, proclaim, announce, pronounce, swear, insist, avow; More
    • cause others to recognize (one's authority or a right) by confident and forceful behavior.
      "the good librarian is able to assert authority when required"
      synonyms: insist on, stand up for, uphold, defend, contend, establish, press for, push for, stress
      "we find it difficult to assert our rights"
    • behave or speak in a confident and forceful manner.
      "it was time to assert himself"
      synonyms: behave confidently, speak confidently, be assertive, put oneself forward, take a stand, make one's presence felt;
      informalput one's foot down
      "she was finally asserting herself, just like everyone told her to"
assert - Google Search
" uphold, defend, contend, establish, press for, push for, stress", these are not passive actions. Are these, please?

I don't suggest to lie, but should find other appropriate words, if they may, please.

Regards

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
"definitive feature all atheists have in common is lack of belief."

And that is also an assertion, if they have it. Don't they assert it, please?
Regards
Not necessarily, unless the question came up in conversation why would you assert a lack of belief? Is your lack of belief in lunar sand worms something you assert frequently?

If it does come up, an assertion of a lack is not an assertion of a belief, much less a system of belief.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member

I believe it is, as it is asserted without any evidences so it merits to be rejected without evidences as per the famous notion of Christopher Hitchens. Right, please?
Regards

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member

I believe it is, as it is asserted without any evidences so it merits to be rejected without evidences as per the famous notion of Christopher Hitchens. Right, please?
Regards
Can you explain how you interpret this question, please?

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
It is as clear as is the sentence:
"Religion is the opium of the people" or "Is religion the opium of the people?
Not so clear.
"Religion is the opiate of the people", to me, means that religion, like opium, lulls people into a dreamlike lassitude; a submissive acceptance their difficulties pending a better life after death. This is clear enough.

But how could no religion keep people in line, suppress dissent or keep people contented with their lot in life? What can belief in nothing have to offer by way of recompense?
This isn't so clear.

Jumi

Does having no religion soothe our pains and remove our worldly worries so that we don't feel a need to work to fix them? If it does, then it can be called opium of the people, otherwise it's a pointless reversal.