• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

No more than $30k a year.

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
Hello. I live off welfare. Shocking, I know, as I am @an anarchist . But it's the truth. I get government healthcare, now cheap housing through section 8, and food stamps. Daddy government is taking care of me, on the condition I stay poor.

If I make more than 30k a year, I'll be kicked out of housing. There's another fella I work with who is on housing, and now I understand why he don't let the bosses work him more than 20 hours a week.

Welfare is a trap! Well, sort of. I was chopping it up with some homies the other day, asking for their advice on the situation. They said don't let myself be limited by that 30k ceiling. What do you think?

I think I'll take it easy this year, sign one more lease next year, then work on making more than 30k...

Just, it has become so tempting to ride out this welfare indefinitely. I can keep myself broke on purpose, and the government will take care of me. That's what my coworkers do. It's a flawed system I think. The housing is so nice lol I love it. I mean, 2500 a month could be great depending where you at, (I don't make nearly that, but that's the most I'm allowed before I'm on my own).

But I don't wanna work some min wage job that I have no love for (I'm a dishwasher at a mediocre restaurant, I got no workers pride). Idk I'm just venting. Do you guys get what I'm saying tho? I can't allow the welfare to dictate how I live.

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Hello. I live off welfare. Shocking, I know, as I am @an anarchist . But it's the truth. I get government healthcare, now cheap housing through section 8, and food stamps. Daddy government is taking care of me, on the condition I stay poor.

If I make more than 30k a year, I'll be kicked out of housing. There's another fella I work with who is on housing, and now I understand why he don't let the bosses work him more than 20 hours a week.

Welfare is a trap! Well, sort of. I was chopping it off with some homies the other day, asking for their advice on the situation. They said don't let myself be limited by that 30k ceiling. What do you think?

I think I'll take it easy this year, sign one more lease next year, then work on making more than 30k...

Just, it has become so tempting to ride out this welfare indefinitely. I can keep myself broke on purpose, and the government will take care of me. That's what my coworkers do. It's a flawed system I think. The housing is so nice lol I love it. I mean, 2500 a month could be great depending where you at, (I don't make nearly that, but that's the most I'm allowed before I'm on my own).

But I don't wanna work some min wage job that I have no love for (I'm a dishwasher at a mediocre restaurant, I got no workers pride). Idk I'm just venting. Do you guys get what I'm saying for? I can't allow the welfare to dictate how I live.
From what I've seen of social services,
they're designed to keep recipients
either unemployed or under-employed.

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
From what I've seen of social services,
they're designed to keep recipients
either unemployed or under-employed.
Of course, looking through my lens as an extreme anarchist (at least ideologically), I suspect such a flawed design to be purposeful.

Anyways, that's just me. Always suspecting the government is making everything worse on purpose for diabolical reasons...

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
My thoughts: maybe take this time to decide who you want to be and what you want to do, @an anarchist.

You've got all your bills covered, and right now since you're only working 20 hours a week you've got something most people don't have and that you may never have as much of again: time.

With all your basic needs covered you could take all that extra time and do something truly worthwhile with it.

And you can afford to experiment with different paths: Go down this road and see where it goes. Don't like it? No worries, pick another path and see where that one goes, etc.

The major thing here is that you're not stuck. You're not stuck in a job that you absolutely have to keep in order to pay your bills.

People can get 'stuck' on public assistance, a lot of people do, but if you see it as a lifeboat, one that you get to steer in any direction you want, it doesn't have to be a trap.

In fact it could be just the opposite: a way of escaping and side stepping most of the traps that other people fall into.

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
My thoughts: maybe take this time to decide who you want to be and what you want to do, @an anarchist.

You've got all your bills covered, and right now since you're only working 20 hours a week you've got something most people don't have and that you may never have as much of again: time.

With all your basic needs covered you could take all that extra time and do something truly worthwhile with it.

And you can afford to experiment with different paths: Go down this road and see where it goes. Don't like it? No worries, pick another path and see where that one goes, etc.

The major thing here is that you're not stuck. You're not stuck in a job that you absolutely have to keep in order to pay your bills.

People can get 'stuck' on public assistance, a lot of people do, but if you see it as a lifeboat, one that you get to steer in any direction you want, it doesn't have to be a trap.

In fact it could be just the opposite: a way of escaping and side stepping most of the traps that other people fall into.
It really is crunch time for me. U right I have a huge blessing in time. I got so many books to study now I have a great environment to study in and more time than not, I am struggling with studying. I just have to find my rhythm again. It used to come so easy to me. Gosh I was reading Socrates today and he asked like 10 questions in a row so I put the book down and took a nap.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Of course, looking through my lens as an extreme anarchist (at least ideologically), I suspect such a flawed design to be purposeful.

Anyways, that's just me. Always suspecting the government is making everything worse on purpose for diabolical reasons...
The ubiquity of dis-incentivizing earning
money points to intentional public policy.

Regiomontanus

Ματαιοδοξία ματαιοδοξιών! Όλα είναι ματαιοδοξία.

Welfare is a trap! Well, sort of. I was chopping it up with some homies the other day, asking for their advice on the situation. They said don't let myself be limited by that 30k ceiling. What do you think?

But I don't wanna work some min wage job that I have no love for (I'm a dishwasher at a mediocre restaurant, I got no workers pride). Idk I'm just venting. Do you guys get what I'm saying tho? I can't allow the welfare to dictate how I live.

There are actually many, many, nice small, rural towns where a single person can get by just fine on 30k or less. If you want to have control of your life, you can do it. Good luck.

mangalavara

सो ऽहम्
Premium Member
I got so many books to study now I have a great environment to study in and more time than not, I am struggling with studying. I just have to find my rhythm again. It used to come so easy to me. Gosh I was reading Socrates today and he asked like 10 questions in a row so I put the book down and took a nap.

During most of my 20s, I spent so much time reading ancient texts and studying various religions and philosophies. I was able to do that because I had no job most of the time nor was I in school. When talking about my interests with strangers, some of them assumed that I was a professor. Later, just before I turned 30, I enrolled in a university and started working on a bachelor's degree. University was just the environment for me. I was able to get credit for what I enjoyed doing: reading, studying, and writing about what I learned. A combination of government grants and loans covered my tuition. Superfluous funds were either spent on groceries or paid back. In less than four years, I graduated with a bachelor's degree in English Language and Literature. Now, I work full time as a teacher. I suspect that you are the type of individual who can enter university and have a great time working on a bachelor's degree. When you graduate, you can become a teacher and share your anarchist ideas with the impressionable youth. That way, somebody who isn't as intellectually inclined as you and utterly lacks potential can live on welfare for the rest of their life. Think about it. :)

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

Maybe take the time to learn some skills that could get you into a better paying job.

I went to community college, but that was fairly cheap when I went. I looked up the average costs, now it's about $3500 a year. The government provides some educational assistance I think. If they do, might as well take advantage.

Also, lots of free training you can find on line though hard to keep self-motivated. Maybe discover want your interests are to help keep motivated.

You could try art, music, writing. Maybe even volunteer you time. You can learn skills while volunteering.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

At the moment you seem to be in the right situation for you. If you are able to get a job where you don't need welfare that's great but it doesn't really matter. Whatever you choose to do always take account of your medical status.

Just do the best you can at whatever you chose to do.

Unfettered

A striving disciple of Jesus Christ

I know exactly what you're saying. It's only a trap, though, if you want to both live off Daddygovmnt and spend more than he gives you. Otherwise there is no trap, just a personal economic reality.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

One solution is to make money "under the table",
ie, paid cash. Of course, you should report it to
government. But it's easy to forget if you lack
a rigorous accounting system.

Disclaimer...
I don't advise doing anything illegal.

Koldo

Outstanding Member

Intriguing. This means you would be royally screwed if somehow the US became libertarian. No social program net and no particularly relevant marketable skill (which would earn you even less money because the immigrants would flood the US with cheap labor). Do you defend libertarianism on an ethical basis alone? Most people do it because they think that they would somehow benefit economically too, but this is not your case, or is it?

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
Intriguing. This means you would be royally screwed if somehow the US became libertarian. No social program net and no particularly relevant marketable skill (which would earn you even less money because the immigrants would flood the US with cheap labor). Do you defend libertarianism on an ethical basis alone? Most people do it because they think that they would somehow benefit economically too, but this is not your case, or is it?
I would be screwed in an anarchist society lol. I can't even garden, anarchism 101. I am learning this year though, credit to me. My specialty is theology and philosophy, and I'm not that smart when it comes to that. I'm a teacher I guess even if that, and one that no one agrees with. So yes, on a philosophical basis I support libertarianism.
Here's the way I look at it.
I could've been in Air Force officer college as soon as I was out of high school. I used to be very patriotic, bleed red, white, and blue. I took the military entrance exam (ASVAB) and got a generally high score (94 percentile) and a perfect 100 on a couple sections I forget which ones. So the Air Force wanted me as an officer, but at that time I was slowly becoming a rabid anarchist. I was raised conservative Christian ya know? It was a real dilemma for me at the time.

I could've been something my family would've been proud of. Not some dishwasher living off welfare. So, believe me, I've made some tough choices in order to try to stick to my morals, and welfare is the lesser evil for me. I could've been at 6 figures sheesh and retire by 38. Woulda just kept all mental stuff under wraps I wasn't diagnosed then. But I restrict myself to welfare. A mans gotta eat. I'm not against welfare or charity itself, I simply blame the government for a crap economy that makes welfare for me (perhaps or nearly) neccesary.

Ive already screwed myself by sticking to my morals, I hate my job presently. But, I couldn't join the military, even though that was my plan my whole life growing up.