• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

No Longer a Christian

lousyskater

that article is basically the way i have felt about christianity in general. i've never understood why people call themselves christian when they don't follow Christs ideals and way of life. of course i'm an atheist, so i don't believe Christ was the son of god, but i don't doubt that he was a very good person.

jewscout

Religious Zionist
That was an extremely insightful article. Two thumbs way up Rex. Keep up the good work.

:jiggy:

robtex

Veteran Member
there are so many different churches to Christianty its hard to say what is a christian today. i would love to hear in the christian section what makes up a christian ....what core beliefs are neccessary. i live with fundamentalists, work with them, shop with them speak with them. Very little hate when they are by themselves. Very undealistic. It is hard to explain. Most are pretty laid back more concerned about their kids their jobs and their cars. Somehow you put them in a church and whammo you get zealots who want to rule the world. I don't go to their churches so I don't know what is said but in the back of my mind I think it is a small minority within certain churches that move these mountains by motivating others who are more or less not as emotional or compelled on these issues. I would have to confess in the same breath that my theory is based on ignorance since I don't go to chruches or study the religion. The only thing that leads me to this conclusion is that I talk to right wing christians every day and they just don' wear abortion, anti-gay, anti muslim ideals on their sleeves. anybody got insight on this?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
robtex said:
there are so many different churches to Christianty its hard to say what is a christian today. i would love to hear in the christian section what makes up a christian ....what core beliefs are neccessary. i live with fundamentalists, work with them, shop with them speak with them. Very little hate when they are by themselves. Very undealistic. It is hard to explain. Most are pretty laid back more concerned about their kids their jobs and their cars. Somehow you put them in a church and whammo you get zealots who want to rule the world. I don't go to their churches so I don't know what is said but in the back of my mind I think it is a small minority within certain churches that move these mountains by motivating others who are more or less not as emotional or compelled on these issues. I would have to confess in the same breath that my theory is based on ignorance since I don't go to chruches or study the religion. The only thing that leads me to this conclusion is that I talk to right wing christians every day and they just don' wear abortion, anti-gay, anti muslim ideals on their sleeves. anybody got insight on this?
Sociologists have long known of studies that demonstrate people become more extreme in their opinions in groups than they do as individuals. That is, groups lead to extremism.

robtex

Veteran Member
I wish Karen Cobb well on her new spirtual journey. I have confidence that this new path to personal enlightment will be a fullfilling one for her.

fromthe heart

First ..thanks Rex for bumping this thread up...I would have probably missed it otherwise.

Second...I'm a christian...I'm not sure how to reply to some of what has been said. I like to see everyone get as much out of life as possible without harm to others. I don't quite understand a few things...God thrust His people into war for lands He said was for them...Jesus said love thy neighbor as thyself...and some say God and Jesus are one...HOW? I don't understand our place in wars...I won't claim to. What then should we have done when terrorists came here to our free land where all is welcome and wanted to kill as many of us as possible? Should we tell the families of 9-11 that we are just going to turn the other cheek? How do you think that would feel...Sorry folks your loved ones are gone I'm sorry and leave it at that? I don't condone war...I don't think we should have gone into Iraq...Do I think we should hunt Osama to the ends of the earth...YES. I think he should be brought to justice for what he and his followers did to the thousands here in this country. So what is the right way to handle it all? If you are a christian and you see the need for taking action you are a horrible christian...if you aren't a christian and take the same action well hey consider the source??? I think most of what is wrong isn't a religious deal...it's a humanity deal. We are all responsible for our own personal actions...I will stand before God to answer for all that I have done in my life that was wrong...will I hang my head in shame for it YEP!!! I don't know what is right or wrong in war...I do know what's right in treating another as myself...love your neighbor deal...I do...and sometimes it's really hard. It hurts my feelings as a christian to hear that we as christians have this blight when I don't feel it's just us!

Third...wicked in numbers...That is so true...if it's said inside a group of people not just christians it's like a feeding frenzy on whatever...Is it because no one wants to admit they have a mind of their own or they are afraid of being cast out of this precious circle they are in. I don't follow a croud...I follow my heart...I feel with my heart for everyone and everything. I know when I'm doing wrong and when I'm doing right...don't we all...so this is not just a christian deal. IS IT???

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
You know...

I agree with a lot she says.

However, I wasn't converted to a "religion", but to the world's biggest pacifist.

I didn't stop calling myself an "American" because of Dubya (though it was a close call there).

I didn't stop calling myself a "Democrat" because of Clinton (though it was a close call there too).

I didn't stop calling myself a "Christian" because of all the hypocrites (like even me).

The truth has never relied on a plurality to exist.

Matthew 7:20 Thus, by their fruit you will recognize them. 21 "Not everyone who says to me, `Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. 22 Many will say to me on that day, `Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and in your name drive out demons and perform many miracles?' 23 Then I will tell them plainly, `I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!'

Learn to be fruit inspectors my friends. No matter how many and how loudly the pigs may proclaim to be otherwise, they are NOT ducks, and they simply can NOT fly.

_salam_

Hope said:
Thank you for saying that, Fyre. I think we tend to focus on the hypocrisy of Christians more than the hypocrisy in other religions because Chrisitanity is so wide-spread and visible; but the fact remains that there are hypocrites in probably every religion. It's not just a 'Christian' failing...
True.

croak

Trickster
People here should have received that before the civil war. 17 sects can't coexist in one country, can they? Muslims and Christians. Killing left and right. Misguided Muslims and Misguided Christians.

It's a good article, and it just goes to show: you can say you're a Muslim, but not act like one; you can say you're Jewish, and not act like one; you can say you're Christian, and not act like one; and on it goes.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Rearing Arabian said:
17 sects can't coexist in one country, can they?
Many, many more than 17 sects coexist in the United States without war. There's some friction at times, but no war. I think it's one of the greater accomplishments of the United States. But it's not one that we can ever be complacent about. The rise of the Religious Right in recent years, and its intolerance for points of view not its own, shows us that we cannot be complacent about the tradition of tolerance in the United States. Rather, we have to work to preserve it.

croak

Trickster
The U.S. is divided in states, each with its own "government." Lebanon isn't and has a sectarian government, favoring the Maronite minority.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I suspect, Rearing Arabian, that the genius of the American system is it's adherence to a separation of church and state. Although that adherence is being challenged today by the Religious Right, it really is in no one's best interest to break down the wall of separation between church and state. It's that wall that makes religious wars unprofitable. Because of the separation of church and state here, no one would benefit much from having a religious war.

huajiro

NetDoc said:
You know...

I agree with a lot she says.

However, I wasn't converted to a "religion", but to the world's biggest pacifist.

I didn't stop calling myself an "American" because of Dubya (though it was a close call there).

I didn't stop calling myself a "Democrat" because of Clinton (though it was a close call there too).

I didn't stop calling myself a "Christian" because of all the hypocrites (like even me).
Net Doc, you are gaining my respect.

The Voice of Reason

Doctor of Thinkology
huajiro said:
Net Doc, you are gaining my respect.
I agree, Huajiro - I frubaled him for this, and other recent posts. He may be hard to look at through a fisheye lens, but he's turning out to be very worthy of respect. :cool:

TVOR

Doc

Space Chief
The article makes me think and makes me sad. Please keep in mind that these media spotlight Christians taking all the money and glory all to criticize others does not represent all Christians. There are many good ones in the world who are meek and humble and look out for the welfare of mankind.

wizanda

One Accepts All Religious Texts
Premium Member
Christian means anointed ones, Christ means anointed one; the anointing oil must contain cannabis (officially announced in 1980 by the Hebrew university) to be able to do that, as else many are to close minded to see beyond their own EGO.

Yet in fact if you proclaim you are Christian, then you will be deemed as a worker of iniquity.

You may not trust in peoples = Sand, God is the rock and so little bits of this are man.

You may not go after those who teach as Balaam would, by saying God would sacrifice his own son.

If you swear by a sacrifice you are deemed guilty of it, so all those proclaiming Christianity for them self in fact stand against Christ....as written like the sands of the sea and narrow is the path…yet clearly it spoken DO NOT GO AFTER PHARISEE….John, Simon, Judas and Paul are all Pharisee, they all teach as Balaam, they all also fulfil Jeremiah 23 and that of a fake prophet.

So if people understand this and want to follow the true teachings of Christ, they were called followers of the way or Nazarites….a Nazarite does not drink, eat meat or cut their hair…. So basically what a new age hippy is….anyone saying they are Christian means now to my self that they could murder lie and cheat to achieve it….that is clearly visible if you get on the wrong side of any of them, as they find more splinters to throw at you, then any one else…as written full of dead means bone and not cleaned the inside of the cup….

So in my own terminology now Christian means a Pharisee!