• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nitpicks or fair gripes?

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Australia has done silly changes to media as well, particularly video games. A lot have been heavily censored or banned outright. I would've expected that sort of pearl clutching from American religious conservatives, not you guys. ;)

I'm sitting in a warm room eating sushi now, so I'll have a second crack at answering this, as I was freezing my butt of earlier (cold in Melbourne today!)

In relation to censorship to 'Protect the childrens, won't somebody think of the childrens!!!' it's been pretty random and at times indefensible here. I still remember signing a petition when younger to introduce an R rating for games, because our idiot censors were sure games were for kids, so MA15+ was the highest required rating.

All of which would be fine if they didn't just use that as a reason to ban all sorts of things which were allowed (and more) in movies. So in that sense I not only agree with you, I'm chanting in the protest.

I guess the thing which seems more unique to the US is altering things for cultural purposes. Changing words the audience 'might not know' or changing endings to tidy them up.

A large element of that is pure commercials, of course. But to us it sometimes feels like there is some strangely condescending allowance made for US audiences.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
I'm sitting in a warm room eating sushi now, so I'll have a second crack at answering this, as I was freezing my butt of earlier (cold in Melbourne today!)

In relation to censorship to 'Protect the childrens, won't somebody think of the childrens!!!' it's been pretty random and at times indefensible here. I still remember signing a petition when younger to introduce an R rating for games, because our idiot censors were sure games were for kids, so MA15+ was the highest required rating.

All of which would be fine if they didn't just use that as a reason to ban all sorts of things which were allowed (and more) in movies. So in that sense I not only agree with you, I'm chanting in the protest.

I guess the thing which seems more unique to the US is altering things for cultural purposes. Changing words the audience 'might not know' or changing endings to tidy them up.

A large element of that is pure commercials, of course. But to us it sometimes feels like there is some strangely condescending allowance made for US audiences.
Dumbing things down because people are ignorant only keeps them ignorant.