• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nitpicks or fair gripes?

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
For those of us who enjoy reading the source material of film adaptations (before or even after) we, or rather I, often pick them apart and compare the film to its counterpart.
Whether that’s a book, fable, myth or even fairytale.
Or we’ve all watched a movie adaption with someone who studied the source material fiercely and they picked it apart, annoying us all throughout.

So what are some nitpicks of your favourite adaptions or least liked adaptions?
What are some gripes you have with film adaptions? In general or specific adaptions, whichever.

Are you the nitpicker of your group? Or do you all tear apart films for inaccuracies together?

Some of mine.
So as an avid fan of the Potter books, yeah I know, but I was a kid when they were released. Anyway, I always hated how the movies portrayed Ron Weasley. In the books, he was the only one of the trio who knew the Wizarding world intimately, since he grew up in a wizarding family. I think the Weasleys are even a “Pureblood family” if I recall the lore correctly. Either way, he would be the one to tell his friends (and by extension the audience) of the lore of Wizarding culture or even just why people reacted a certain way.
In the films they just gave that job to Hermione, despite her being Muggle born and without that insider knowledge. It just turned Ron into an idiot, imo. Love the casting, disliked the execution.
Speaking of wasted potential, the movies turned Ginny Weasley, one of the more interesting feisty characters in the books into bland wonderbread in the films. Really did her dirty.
A nitpick of the films I have is the way they downplayed the reactions everyone has to Voldemort’s name being spoken. Everyone except Harry and Hermione react with abject fear whenever his name is mentioned throughout. The movies just use the name so casually that it loses all punch.
Kind of did the same in The Half Blood Prince adaption. Throughout the book the trio work tirelessly to find out the identity of the owner of the potions book Harry uses to gain an edge in the class, only for it to be revealed dramatically later. The film just shows the book and makes the announcement, expecting people to know the lore behind it. Lost all its punch during the execution, which is a shame

I do think they did Snape a lot better and more consistently than the books though. They downplayed his bullying, which was probably more for time reasons than anything else lol. But he’s supposed to be able to control his emotions expertly, but in front of Harry he explodes multiple times in outbursts of anger in the books. Just didn’t seem to fit with the book lore of Occlumency.

I did like the films of Lord of the Rings, but those nitpicks and gripes would take forever to get through lol
Suffice it to say, wasn’t that impressed with Gimli or Aragorn’s portrayal. But overall I still liked them.

What about you guys? Think my complaints are all nitpicks? Do you like comparing the different mediums?
Discuss as you please

Last edited:

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I am certainly nitpicky about some things but I try to avoid criticizing adaptations based on how well they reflect the source material. Especially if said source material is an entirely different medium. Plus, some of my favorite movies were intentionally *not* faithful to the source material (eg. Jurassic Park, Starship Troopers).

My biggest gripes with adaptations is where they don't stand on their own two feet. Have tons of narrative inconsistencies, abuse stereotyping, or is a story where none of the characters feel or sound like authentic people in a story clearly trying to be a character piece (Prometheus is a great example of all of that.)

I'm also not a fan of movies with nothing to say generally. A turn off your brain romp can be fun on rare occasion but it gets old quick. I want movies that give me something to think about and feel. Which means I'm generally not a fan of most Marvel films. Not because I think comics and superhero stories don't have a lot to say, but because they've become formulaic ho-hum action spectacles.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
What about you guys? Think my complaints are all nitpicks? Do you like comparing the different mediums?
I don't know dicks from dildos about Harry Potter, but, yeah, Lord of the Rings that one would require a doctorates thesis to do that one justice with all the stuff that was changed.
Currently my gripes are against the Netflix version of the Last Kingdom. I watched that before I read the books, liked it enough to start reading the books, and now I don't even like the show that much anymore because it's so different they should have just changed names and saved money. Just like what Anne Rice said about the Queen of the Damned movie (terrible, terrible movie that has less than ultra minimalist similarities and things to do with the two books it's supposed to be based on). But the movie Interview with the Vampire I thought was really good, at it did do a fairly good job at sticking to the book (except the part that takes place in Europe), and the Brad Pitt, Tom Cruise and Kirsten Dunst were perfect for the roles they were cast as.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Slightly off topic, but speaking of Harry Potter (which I too know nothing about), they changed the title of "The Philosopher's Stone" to "The Sorcerer's Stone" for the American audience because "it's less confusing" (wtf?). Also, they inexplicably changed "Where's Wally?" (another UK series) to "Where's Waldo?" in the U.S.

Brickjectivity

System Override
Staff member
Premium Member
Are you the nitpicker of your group? Or do you all tear apart films for inaccuracies together?
We don't usually compare films to books, however we do criticize films together a tiny bit. We don't spend a lot of time on it.

What are some gripes you have with film adaptions?
Any film about Jesus usually is going to be terrible. I will never be happy with what people produce in films about Jesus. There are too many ways to err. I think that I could pick apart any film about Jesus. Whatever its supposed strength is, I can tell you how they erred. No film about Jesus can withstand my scrutiny.

These people have a list of 25 (not doubt terrible) films about Jesus, the life of Jesus, his miracles, his clothes etc: 25 Best Bible Movies About Jesus Christ to Watch For Easter

So...pull up a chair. We'll watch any one of these together, and I'll tell you what disappoints me.

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
Slightly off topic, but speaking of Harry Potter (which I too know nothing about), they changed the title of "The Philosopher's Stone" to "The Sorcerer's Stone" for the American audience because "it's less confusing" (wtf?). Also, they inexplicably changed "Where's Wally?" (another UK series) to "Where's Waldo?" in the U.S.
I hope you don’t mind but
We’ve been mocking Yanks for that for years at this point lol

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
We don't usually compare films to books, however we do criticize films together a tiny bit. We don't spend a lot of time on it.

Any film about Jesus usually is going to be terrible. I will never be happy with what people produce in films about Jesus. There are too many ways to err. I think that I could pick apart any film about Jesus. Whatever its supposed strength is, I can tell you how they erred. No film about Jesus can withstand my scrutiny.

These people have a list of 25 (not doubt terrible) films about Jesus, the life of Jesus, his miracles, his clothes etc: 25 Best Bible Movies About Jesus Christ to Watch For Easter

So...pull up a chair. We'll watch any one of these together, and I'll tell you what disappoints me.
Sounds like a plan :)

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
I hope you don’t mind but
We’ve been mocking Yanks for that for years at this point lol
Except we don't say 'mocking' when talking to our American friends, we roll with 'dissing'...ahem...
Australia has done silly changes to media as well, particularly video games. A lot have been heavily censored or banned outright. I would've expected that sort of pearl clutching from American religious conservatives, not you guys. ;)

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
Except we don't say 'mocking' when talking to our American friends, we roll with 'dissing'...ahem...
You’re havin a laugh, ain’t ya?
My friends and I always said “mocking”
“Dissing” was considered rap lingo lol

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
Australia has done silly changes to media as well, particularly video games. A lot have been heavily censored or banned outright. I would've expected that sort of pearl clutching from American religious conservatives, not you guys. ;)
Video games were heavily attacked, particularly due to it being new media and interactive.
I don’t think we even had an R18+ rating for games until a few years ago.
So content that would have been rated R in literally every other visual media was censored in games because of that. Not sure why

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I always knew where my Dad is so "Where's Wally" would have been rather anticlimactic. The illustrations do not even look like him.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
As to film adaptations I understand why they exist. There is far too much info in a good novel to allow it to be filmed reliably. In science fiction Phillip K. Dick is frequently used because he wrote short stories that could easily be converted to film.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Video games were heavily attacked, particularly due to it being new media and interactive.
I don’t think we even had an R18+ rating for games until a few years ago.
So content that would have been rated R in literally every other visual media was censored in games because of that. Not sure why
Yeah, that's the way it was here during the 90's; lot's of inconsistences and double standards. It's not really an issue today with internet since such bans mostly just impacted 'brick and mortar' retailers.

Last edited:

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member

Some of the ratings/ban choices have been ridiculous here.