• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Niqab.

Ellen Brown

As Salaam Alaikum:

I am an American convert to Islam and must admit that I am not the best. I stopped wearing Hijab about a year ago when things seemed too dangerous to do that, but it has troubled me. I've wavered back and forth about Christianity because I was one for three decades. May Allah SWT instruct me.

Today, I was out to get groceries in a pouring down rain and met a Saudi Niqabi from Al Khobar and we talked. I admire her bravery, mashallah, for wearing proper garments here despite the atmosphere that Trump has fostered. Now I am deciding if I should return to Hijab and praying about it.

A muslim man said I am so old (72) that I do not need Hijab. I want to show my devotion to Allah SWT.

Niblo

Premium Member
As Salaam Alaikum:

I am an American convert to Islam and must admit that I am not the best. I stopped wearing Hijab about a year ago when things seemed too dangerous to do that, but it has troubled me. I've wavered back and forth about Christianity because I was one for three decades. May Allah SWT instruct me.

Today, I was out to get groceries in a pouring down rain and met a Saudi Niqabi from Al Khobar and we talked. I admire her bravery, mashallah, for wearing proper garments here despite the atmosphere that Trump has fostered. Now I am deciding if I should return to Hijab and praying about it.

A muslim man said I am so old (72) that I do not need Hijab. I want to show my devotion to Allah SWT.

Waʿalaykumu s-salām, sister.

‘As for elderly women who no longer anticipate marriage, there is no blame upon them if they take off their outer garments (thiyāb)* without flaunting their charms, but it is preferable for them not to do this: Allāh is all hearing, all seeing.’ (Al-Nur: 60)

Garments (‘thiyāb’) is interpreted as the ‘jilbāb’, a cloak drawn over both head and body.

The meaning is clear: There is no requirement for you to cover your head in public; but if your desire is to honour Allāh (subḥānahu ūta'āla), then you may continue to do so. However, you are not required to put yourself at risk; so act according to circumstance, and your conscience.

I hope this helps.

Shia Islam

Quran and Ahlul-Bayt a.s.
Premium Member
As Salaam Alaikum:

May Allah support and guide you to his pleasure..

And may He (exalted is He) accept your deeds and reward you with his generous reward.

spirit_of_dawn

As Salaam Alaikum:

Salamon alaikom,

I posted in another thread that the rules for seniors aren't the same as the rules for the young.

BTW, Are you a shia Muslim or Sunni?

Ellen Brown

Im just curious as to why a Christian would choose Sunni Islam over Shia Islam and vice versa.

I am 72, and far too late I see that life is a journey and I have searched for knowledge of the one who made me always. In my late 20s I found Christianity, and practiced that for many years until after 9/11. In frustration and disappointment I finally gave up on that because the anger I saw showed that they did not follow Christian teachings.

I tried to figure out why Muslims would be so angry with America and in that search, decided to become Muslim, though it took me a while to realize that there were Sunnis and Shia. I had walked into a Sunni Mosque first. Later as I studied, it seemed clear that it was disgraceful that the two could not settle the fight over succession. I've been in both Sunni and Shia Masjids and actually don't care about the differences. I've heard Persians (Iranians) angrily state that the Saudis never conquered them, so I suspect that the Sunni Shia differences are deeper than just succession. I've heard some people say that Zoroastrianism was the precursor to Judaism.

There was a brief period with the Mormons that I have yet to fully understand. It is interesting that the Muslims and the Mormons had the same quarrel over succession. To me it is disgraceful, and showed that they did not place the search for the Creator first.

The search for the true Creator goes on, though perhaps Islam is most dear to me. Lately, I have the suspicion that Islam is a close copy of Judaism in many ways. Christianity is disappointing, and I wonder what the Creator will do with all of us?

Someone has offered to teach me about Judaism and I am grateful for that. The search continues.

spirit_of_dawn

I am 72, and far too late I see that life is a journey and I have searched for knowledge of the one who made me always. In my late 20s I found Christianity, and practiced that for many years until after 9/11. In frustration and disappointment I finally gave up on that because the anger I saw showed that they did not follow Christian teachings.

I tried to figure out why Muslims would be so angry with America and in that search, decided to become Muslim, though it took me a while to realize that there were Sunnis and Shia. I had walked into a Sunni Mosque first. Later as I studied, it seemed clear that it was disgraceful that the two could not settle the fight over succession. I've been in both Sunni and Shia Masjids and actually don't care about the differences. I've heard Persians (Iranians) angrily state that the Saudis never conquered them, so I suspect that the Sunni Shia differences are deeper than just succession. I've heard some people say that Zoroastrianism was the precursor to Judaism.

There was a brief period with the Mormons that I have yet to fully understand. It is interesting that the Muslims and the Mormons had the same quarrel over succession. To me it is disgraceful, and showed that they did not place the search for the Creator first.

The search for the true Creator goes on, though perhaps Islam is most dear to me. Lately, I have the suspicion that Islam is a close copy of Judaism in many ways. Christianity is disappointing, and I wonder what the Creator will do with all of us?

Someone has offered to teach me about Judaism and I am grateful for that. The search continues.

The Persian/Saudi conflict has nothing to do with Islam although it is sometimes brought up by followers of both sects. It's usually racist people from both countries that cling to those kind of arguments.

If you are interested I can offer my help about Shia beliefs and also explain why Shia Islam is radically different from Sunni Islam and Judaism. I'll state one key point here: In Shia Islam, for very obvious reasons, a Prophet or Messenger and their successors must necessarily be infallible, however, neither Sunnis nor Jews or even Christians have this belief.

Anyway if you are interested I might be able to help.

Ellen Brown

The Persian/Saudi conflict has nothing to do with Islam although it is sometimes brought up by followers of both sects. It's usually racist people from both countries that cling to those kind of arguments.

If you are interested I can offer my help about Shia beliefs and also explain why Shia Islam is radically different from Sunni Islam and Judaism. I'll state one key point here: In Shia Islam, for very obvious reasons, a Prophet or Messenger and their successors must necessarily be infallible, however, neither Sunnis nor Jews or even Christians have this belief.

Anyway if you are interested I might be able to help.

Thank you, but no. I am a searcher, and lately perhaps not religious. Perhaps I am trying to blend Science and Religion into one?

Firemorphic

Activist Membrane
Wa alaykumu as-salaam,
On the OP, I'd advise you to do it if you truly want to. There is nothing objectively compulsory about it, it's cultural but has become a religio-sigifier for Muslim women (along with it's controversies)

I'm glad you've found your path again. And yes, Science and Religion/spirituality don't fundamentally contradict, they've always had a long history together. They both have different functions and uses. (and as a "mystic" I'm very much an advocate of scientific method myself)

Many blessings sister!

islam abduallah

nothing to worry about, and no human to be feared from, you are not required to wear niqab but hijab could be as you have been told , maybe not, you may ask a mufti

but in all cases don't fear people just fear ALLAH

the maximum the people could do against you is to do what was pre- destinated to you
prophet Mohamed said to his nephew "Oh young boy! I am going to teach you some words: preserve Allah and he will preserve you. Preserve Allah and you will find him in front of you. If you ask, then ask Allah; and if you seek aid, seek aid from Allah. Know! If the Ummah [nation] gathered to benefit you with something, they wouldn't benefit you except with something Allah wrote [i.e., decreed] for you. And if the Ummah gathered to harm you with something, they wouldn't be able to harm you except with something Allah wrote for you. The pens have been lifted and the pages have dried.

Godobeyer

the word "Islam" means "submission" to God
Premium Member
As Salaam Alaikum:

Alaykom Salam

Nigab not obligation in Islam.

Godobeyer

Premium Member
It is between the woman and Allah SWT.
I forget to welcome you ,for your convert :)
Welcome sister to the right path, any help I am here :)

Agree sister :)
Yes,it's between you and and Allah,that's all your life deeds indeed.

Ellen Brown

I forget to welcome you ,for your convert :)
Welcome sister to the right path, any help I am here :)

Agree sister :)
Yes,it's between you and and Allah,that's all your life deeds indeed.

I want to be clear here, and for you to know that I am not lying to you, inshallah. I am old. 72. I was conservative Christian for 33 years, but found them to be unkind after 9/11, not following the words of the Bible. I converted to Islam in 2005 and was wearing Hijab up until about a year ago. Part of that time I was a Mormon, but found it too painful for me.

My heart is Muslim, but I say that I am an Abrahamic Religionist because there is too much that I can not figure out, and I like to study what the Jews and Christians believe. Trump makes it very hard to wear Hijab in America, but not wearing it bothers me so much that I will wear it again, inshallah. I am Sunni but have nothing bad to say about Shia or any other Muslim. Allah SWT can be the only judge. Alhumduallah.

Godobeyer

Premium Member
I want to be clear here, and for you to know that I am not lying to you, inshallah. I am old. 72. I was conservative Christian for 33 years, but found them to be unkind after 9/11, not following the words of the Bible. I converted to Islam in 2005 and was wearing Hijab up until about a year ago. Part of that time I was a Mormon, but found it too painful for me.

My heart is Muslim, but I say that I am an Abrahamic Religionist because there is too much that I can not figure out, and I like to study what the Jews and Christians believe. Trump makes it very hard to wear Hijab in America, but not wearing it bothers me so much that I will wear it again, inshallah. I am Sunni but have nothing bad to say about Shia or any other Muslim. Allah SWT can be the only judge. Alhumduallah.
Thank you for sharing your story in religions.

I like to know about others religions , RF give me more enlighting about othes religion especially Christianity and Judaism, and also my religion.

I admire your care about Hijab despite you 72 old.

Thanks to Allah

Ellen Brown

Thank you for sharing your story in religions.

I like to know about others religions , RF give me more enlighting about othes religion especially Christianity and Judaism, and also my religion.

I admire your care about Hijab despite you 72 old.

Thanks to Allah

Mashallah :)