• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

News Flash: Direct Observation of Objective Reality is Impossible for a Human

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
It is perhaps ironic that, if we humans were able to directly observe objective reality, all of science would come crashing down. That is because we would necessarily be omniscient, and of what use would science be to an omniscient human?

By the way, the above is not the reason direct observation of objective reality is impossible for a human. It's just one of the things direct observation would logically imply.

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
It is perhaps ironic that, if we humans were able to directly observe objective reality, all of science would come crashing down. That is because we would necessarily be omniscient, and of what use would science be to an omniscient human?

I'm not following you here. Can you explain further? Why would being able to observe direct reality make us omniscient?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I'm not following you here. Can you explain further? Why would being able to observe direct reality make us omniscient?

Excellent question! Thanks for asking.

It's not that complex, Nick. Actually just a simple chain of deductive logic.

Please first consider the implications of omniscience. To be omniscient is to be all knowing, correct?

Does it not logically follow that if one knows everything, then what one knows cannot be confined to a point of view because, by definition, a point of view is a limited, restricted, or incomplete take on things, no?

Yet, a limited, restricted, or incomplete take on things cannot be an all knowing take on things. That is, it cannot be an omniscient take.
Does that make sense, so far? If so, we'll proceed to the next regularly scheduled feature of our program.

By the way, Nick, I apologize for any lack of clarity in my writing. I've been struggling with insomnia, and shifting in and out of an unfocused daze. Hard to think under those conditions. Hopefully, I will be able to bore myself to sleep by the sheer dullness of my writing.

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
Excellent question! Thanks for asking.

It's not that complex, Nick. Actually just a simple chain of deductive logic.

Please first consider the implications of omniscience. To be omniscient is to be all knowing, correct?

Does it not logically follow that if one knows everything, then what one knows cannot be confined to a point of view because, by definition, a point of view is a limited, restricted, or incomplete take on things, no?

Yet, a limited, restricted, or incomplete take on things cannot be an all knowing take on things. That is, it cannot be an omniscient take.
Does that make sense, so far? If so, we'll proceed to the next regularly scheduled feature of our program.

By the way, Nick, I apologize for any lack of clarity in my writing. I've been struggling with insomnia, and shifting in and out of an unfocused daze. Hard to think under those conditions. Hopefully, I will be able to bore myself to sleep by the sheer dullness of my writing.

Yes, following you so far. Phew!

What's next, Teach? :p

PS - don't apologize. Insomnia sucks.