• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Newbie =)

Lintu

Hi to all! I'm Lauren, and I'm in Boston. I'm here because I've been in spiritual crisis lately and think that seeing all the different opinions on things may help guide me to another point. I grew up Southern Baptist and rejected that...then became Catholic and later rejected that. I'm thinking right now that UU will be the best thing for me, though I'm conflicted because I also enjoy Native American spirituality (my father is Native American. He describes his religion as "native american spirituality minus the peyote" :rolleyes: ). Anyways, it's great to be here, and I look forward to meeting you all :jiggy:

jewscout

Religious Zionist
Good to have you on board Lauren. You'll find people from all different types of faith here. Feel free to pick their brain about it.

Hope to see you out there.

Master Vigil

Welcome. I know its hard with all of those tries and rejections. It's hard when you believe a part, but the part is never enough. I hope we here can be of great help for you.

Ellie_A

Welcome!

The beauty of UU is you can include anything that makes you whole. That would include the Native American beliefs. I guess I like to look at UU as not just another religion, but a congregation of people who celebrate there own beliefs. But then again I think there are as many diffrent religions globally as there are people who ever walked the earth. That may have something to do with my UU background though.

Enjoy and learn lots, there seem to be a lot of insightful people here.

Lintu

Ellie_A said:
Welcome!

I guess I like to look at UU as not just another religion, but a congregation of people who celebrate there own beliefs. But then again I think there are as many diffrent religions globally as there are people who ever walked the earth. That may have something to do with my UU background though.

I was hoping I'd find that out about UU :) Already some help! It just gets complicated when someone says "what religion are you?" I don't know what to say...I like lots of different ones, and some resonate with me more than others? :eek:

Ellie_A

Growing up UU I have learned to be comfortable in any religion and how take what I need from it. They all have some good.

robtex

Veteran Member
Nice to meet you Lauren. I hope you don't find ambiguity and uncertainty as a crisis. I hope you find enlightenment though at a even tempered pace so that your emotions and intellect can stay relatively abreasts as you move foreward. Lauren, what langues do you speak (saw that on your profile) and what are you studying in school?

Mystic

I too was brought up Catholic...until I had to get a divorce and the entire annullment process was so demeaning and an intrusion on my privacy that I left.

Then I also went to the Southern Baptist church for 4 years...and please don't anyone take offence if you are a Southern Baptist...this is just my own experience...that's the main reason why I stopped going to church. I found the people in the congregation so judgemental and their views about women so stifling I had to leave.

I am also looking at UU. But I want to be sure. I want to find a church for my children and myself.

Lintu

robtex said:
Nice to meet you Lauren. I hope you don't find ambiguity and uncertainty as a crisis. I hope you find enlightenment though at a even tempered pace so that your emotions and intellect can stay relatively abreasts as you move foreward. Lauren, what langues do you speak (saw that on your profile) and what are you studying in school?

Hi robtex!

I guess I kind of do see uncertainty as a crisis. I like having rules to follow, you know? But inevitably, I wouldn't be able to agree with all the rules of a religion. At the same time, I like the community aspect of having one religion, and the specific traditions. So, I guess it's been pretty hard. Maybe once I get out to the UU church I'll feel better!

I'm a linguistics major, so I've studied a lot. Here's the list: French (advanced), Finnish (intermediate), Japanese (beginner)...have studied Classical Armenian (mostly Biblical), Latin (classical and christian), Italian, and a little Russian. I love translation studies, especially of religious texts! :D

robtex

Veteran Member
very cool. I speak German and write it poorly. I speak Japanese very poorly but can't write it. I speak very very little spanish (in texas everybody does) but can't write it either.

I learned a long time ago that confusion is the final stage before clarity. I can understand what you are saying about a religion with rules but I would say that a religion with guidelines is better, at least for me, than a religion with rules. Irregardless of whom is watching you free will suggests that in the end we must all take personal ownership for our own morality and existance in the universe. If you go to a UU church I would love it if you told us all about it. I am glad you are sharing your spirtual journey with us and I am sure I will learn a lot from you.

Lintu

robtex said:
very cool. I speak German and write it poorly. I speak Japanese very poorly but can't write it. I speak very very little spanish (in texas everybody does) but can't write it either.

I learned a long time ago that confusion is the final stage before clarity. I can understand what you are saying about a religion with rules but I would say that a religion with guidelines is better, at least for me, than a religion with rules. Irregardless of whom is watching you free will suggests that in the end we must all take personal ownership for our own morality and existance in the universe. If you go to a UU church I would love it if you told us all about it. I am glad you are sharing your spirtual journey with us and I am sure I will learn a lot from you.

I understand what you mean about all Texans knowing some Spanish--I grew up there (first 18 years of my life), in and near Dallas.

Confusion is the final stage before clarity...I really like that. I would be shocked if I were able to find clarity at this young age, though! I will certainly let you guys know about my UU experience...perhaps this coming Sunday? :) I'm excited.